Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1UZ VVT-i, SMOKE from engine bay

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-17, 06:49 PM
DrAtomica
Intermediate

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts
Unhappy 1UZ VVT-i, SMOKE from engine bay

I was driving my car one night and I suddenly started hearing a high pitch noise that changed based on how I was accelerating. Luckily I was less than a mile away home, when I stopped outside there was this odd burning smell, as if it was electrical or something, I did see some smoke but let it be for the night.
Started the car in the morning and popped the hood, there seems to smoke coming out of the passenger side exhaust area, right at the front of the manifold where the p/s pump and alternator is.
If this leak is from the exhaust, can I expect a lot of smoke to come out from it? It's as if someone has started a bonfire.

Electrical systems seem to working fine and the car starts up perfectly fine too. No smoke coming from bottom of car or from mufflers.
I do have a slow power steering leak, but I've had one for a while.

I'm quite confused on what the issue could be, is it common for the exhaust gasket to go bad or is it possible?
How does a exhaust leak sound like? Can you expect so much smoke to come out from an exhaust leak?

Sorry for so many questions but I'm not sure where to begin with this problem.
Old 04-27-17, 11:22 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

The PS leak was my first thought, and since you've had one for a while, I would guess enough fluid got into the alternator to make it squeal (maybe the belt got lubed) and smoke.
Old 04-27-17, 01:10 PM
DrAtomica
Intermediate

That being said, a PS leak would cause so much smoke?
Also to mention again, maybe after 2 or 3 seconds of start the smoke starts to come out, will that even be enough time for the P/S to heatup and burn?
Old 04-27-17, 03:45 PM
Zerodrag
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

When I first picked up my 98 SC400, I started getting smoke from that area. It ended up being the valve cover gasket leaking oil onto the manifold. Though, that wouldn't explain the high-pitch noise you are getting. That sounds to me like a bearing or something.
Old 04-27-17, 05:24 PM
dogwisper
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My first thought wa power steering too and since you mentioned fluid is low where do you think the fluid is going? It's not the angels share like when they make whiskey it is most definitely leaking. Next question is it from the actual pump or high pressure line?
Old 04-27-17, 06:15 PM
DrAtomica
Intermediate

I checked my valve cover gasket multiple times and there seems to be no leak from there, I'll check again but I doubt it'll change.

The power steering leak is from the air control valve, the pump doesn't seem like it has any leaks. The main question is still, what leak will cause smoke to buildup as soon as you start the car?
Old 04-28-17, 09:37 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

I wouldn't think spilled PS fluid would smoke when cold, but it could be your alternator smoking as a sign of imminent failure. Just a guess.
Old 05-16-17, 03:38 PM
DrAtomica
Intermediate

Well I just changed out the alternator, what a PITA. That did turn out to be the problem,so thanks for the suggestion. Got a new alternator and everything seems to be working so far.
Will take out the old alternator apart and examine it further, when turning it sounded as if it hitting something, must be some sort of bearing going bad.

Last edited by DrAtomica; 05-16-17 at 04:18 PM.
Old 05-16-17, 05:56 PM
Returd
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

bearing seizing on one of the pulleys causing belt squeal. As the bearing heats from running it'll be less and less likely to spin freely and could cause belt squeal. Pull the serpentine belt and spin each pulley.

I just changed bearings on my tensioner and idler. They weren't making noise but were tired.
Old 05-17-17, 01:03 PM
DrAtomica
Intermediate

Alright so after changing the alternator I decided to take the car for a ride the next day and so I noticed my AC light was blinking intermittently, does anyone know what this means?
Old 05-17-17, 03:45 PM
Zerodrag
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

When that happened to me it was a sign my alternator was going out.

Here's a thread with something similar...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...ng-off-ac.html
Old 05-17-17, 07:01 PM
DrAtomica
Intermediate

Question

UPDATE:

So I decided to the car for a spin, the A/C light then started to blink again, I hit the AC button and the light stopped coming on. I thought perhaps there is something wrong with the AC compressor. Decided to check on my OBDII reader for the voltage and it looked like as if the voltage was going between 14 and even 24 volts sometimes. I decided to go full acceleration right before I parked again and the battery light just flashed for a moment. I stepped outside the vehicle and the same smell of electrical burning was coming out. I didn't see any visible smoke but I'm guessing it means this alternator is going out too even though I just put a new (remanufactured) one in yesterday?

So any ideas? What can it be, is it possible that the new alternator is bad? Could it possibly be a bad battery? Or perhaps some other thing,
If I do get a new alternator, where should I get one from then?
Old 05-30-17, 10:59 AM
DrAtomica
Intermediate

Alright I'm back here again,

So got a new alternator, a proper DENSO re manufactured one. I start up the car and it all sounds fine, after a few minutes I get a battery light.
While the car is off my battery is reading between 11.8 and 12.5 volts, while the car is on I'm getting a reading between 13.8 and 14.1 volts.
I may be wrong but aren't these readings under normal?
What else can the issue be? My alternator IS charging the battery.
Old 05-30-17, 01:44 PM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Unplug the battery cables let the ecu reset itself if you havet done that yet.
let your ride idle for about 5-10 min it will all be cool after that.
But I'd replace the power steering pump or rebuild it myself if I was you this happened to me about 3 months ago I replaced both
Old 06-01-17, 11:08 AM
DrAtomica
Intermediate

Same thing, still have a battery light. Not only did I disconnect the battery but I also got a brand new battery and it's still the same issue.
I can't see any visible smoke however I can smell something burning, it still smells like something electric is burning. What could possibly be burning up?
My battery voltage is 12.4~v and while the car is on it's ~14.2v.