Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Sc400 randomly dies

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-17, 04:54 AM
Nim1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sc400 randomly dies

Hi everyone

So I have an imported 1992 sc400 that I am having issues with.

so I will be driving along, then out of nowhere my lights dim, radio dies, revs drop and cluster disappears for about 1 second, then it all comes back on. This will continue regularly for about 10-15 minutes slowly getting worse, then it completely turns off. For about 10 minutes I will have no power anywhere, no lights working, no engine crank, no automatic steering wheel adjustment.
Power gets restored out of nowhere and then I can drive again without any issues.
I have replaced about 3 batteries within 3 years, which works for a few months then the problem begins again.

Not sure if this would be related to it, but when I press on the brakes, the abs light comes on, a warning tone is played and I can hear the black abs module in the engine bay whirring for a second, then it stops. If I check in the engine bay and get someone to press the brakes, I can see the module shake as it makes the whirring sound. When the car is having its power dying episodes, tapping the brakes will make the car shut off completely.

Any help would be appreciated
Old 04-01-17, 07:08 AM
jimbosr1
Pole Position

Received 170 Likes on 129 Posts

i would check all the grounding points under the hood.someone on here may have a diagram of the grounding points.good luck.
Old 04-01-17, 05:05 PM
Nim1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel like it is this unit overloading the system and making it shut down. Every time I tap the brakes this thing wobbles and whirs and my lights dim and warning and abs lights come on. Does anyone know exactly what it is/does? It says it is a high pressures vessel, maybe the abs booster? Idk