Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

'96 SC400 Aftermarket Tail Light Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-17, 10:33 AM
BonJecker
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '96 SC400 Aftermarket Tail Light Problem

A while back, I purchased and installed some aftermarket tail lights off eBay, which caused the dashboard indicator lamp to come on steady. I suspect the reason is because the aftermarket lights don't use the same number of bulbs as the stock taillight. I don't believe the missing bulbs are of any importance in regards to safety. In other words, I still have tail lights, brake lights, and turn signals - and all other lights on the car are functioning properly (not to mention that the euro-style lights look ultra cool in my opinion compared to the stock taillights), so the dash indicator has become more of an annoyance vs. the function for which it was originally intended.

Does anyone know if there is a way to fool the system into thinking those missing bulbs are there? There are X amount of wires running from the car to the tail light connector. The aftermarket connector fits properly, but there aren't as many wires running from the aftermarket connector to the tail light. I thought of wiring up some additional wires and bulbs to the aftermarket connector so the circuit completes, but then I would need to figure out where to mount these extra bulbs so they don't get broken, in addition to it being a pointless bulb that I would likely need to replace from time to time (not to mention a possible safety hazard, as my electrical skills and knowledge are somewhat limited).

So, would it be possible for me to just jump the missing wires in order to complete the circuit? If so, would I just connect the positive wire to its corresponding negative?

I contacted the company that I purchased them from to see if they had a solution, and they simply replied saying I could return them for a full refund if I wanted to. I figure this must be a common problem for anyone that purchased these lights for an SC, but my Googling turned up empty-handed.

Thanks in advance to anyone with suggestions.
Old 02-27-17, 11:19 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 237 Likes on 215 Posts

I think the best way is to figure out the resistance of the missing bulb(s) when lit, then wire resistors of that value into the open slots in the connector.

Leaving extra bulbs dangling in the trunk seems like a bad idea.