Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Power Steering Died, now ABS light on?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-16, 03:14 PM
Deegee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Power Steering Died, now ABS light on?

Sup guys,

I've been doing a ton of searching using various keywords and none of the threads pertaining to my problem are exactly what I'm experiencing. So i'm hoping to post here to see if I could get to the bottom of this..

Last weekend I was drifting my SC400 and suddenly the Power Steering completely died and the ABS light came on my dash. From what I've been reading, the TRAC light should of also been lit up but I think since the TRAC fuse has been removed it won't light up (drift car).

From what I've read, this could have been caused by my tire eating through some wiring in my driver side fender but from what I could tell, the previous owner already relocated most of the wiring. Can somebody confirm if any of these wires control the power steering??

Thanks.

The only thread that has come close to what I'm experiencing is here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...-happened.html
Old 01-07-16, 08:34 AM
Deegee
Lexus Test Driver

Bump, can anyone confirm that the wires in the fender have anything to do with the power steering?
Old 01-07-16, 08:28 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Deegee:

As you know the pump gets driven by the serpentine belt and only other thing that comes to it are the vacuum lines. Loading on it is due to the hydraulic pressure that it develops to steer assist. So with the amount of steering the driver does the load/use/abuse impacts the steering pump.

The closest co-realtion I can share is that the steering pump is right above the alternator in the Sc4. If the pump fail ends up in leaking fluid, it ends up in the alternator.

So I don't see the correlation that you are looking for.

Salim
Old 01-08-16, 08:01 AM
Deegee
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by salimshah
Deegee:

As you know the pump gets driven by the serpentine belt and only other thing that comes to it are the vacuum lines. Loading on it is due to the hydraulic pressure that it develops to steer assist. So with the amount of steering the driver does the load/use/abuse impacts the steering pump.

The closest co-realtion I can share is that the steering pump is right above the alternator in the Sc4. If the pump fail ends up in leaking fluid, it ends up in the alternator.

So I don't see the correlation that you are looking for.

Salim
Hi Sali, Thanks for the reply.

So it sounds like the culprit could potentially be my steering pump due to the abuse I was giving it during the time my power steering went out. Would I be able to see the fluid immediately start leaking? I checked the moment my power steering failed and didn't see any fluid on the ground.
Old 01-08-16, 06:12 PM
Deegee
Lexus Test Driver

So I took a closer inspection to the driver side fender and I noticed that there is a socket thats connected to the brake lines. The socket was there but the wires leading to it were completely shreded. I ended up pushing the shreded wires back in the socket and my ABS light turned off and the power steering returned.