Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Fuel issues. Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-15, 08:07 PM
algarcia99
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel issues. Need Help

Im having a fuel issue on my 1993 SC300
It was running fine, then as I was backing out of the driveway it just died. Would not restart. To troubleshoot, I sprayed starting fluid in intake and it momentarily startedu up. Figuring it was a fuel issue, I tried changing the fuel pump. Still did not start. I also tried the ECU locatdd in the back seat driver side module. Still did not start. I tried swapping the fuse under the hood labeled EFI with the defroster fuse and still did not start. I dont hear the pump start or prime on the turn of the key.
I am out of options. Can you offer any advice?
Old 10-27-15, 09:12 PM
freakness
Pole Position

Originally Posted by algarcia99
Im having a fuel issue on my 1993 SC300
It was running fine, then as I was backing out of the driveway it just died. Would not restart. To troubleshoot, I sprayed starting fluid in intake and it momentarily startedu up. Figuring it was a fuel issue, I tried changing the fuel pump. Still did not start. I also tried the ECU locatdd in the back seat driver side module. Still did not start. I tried swapping the fuse under the hood labeled EFI with the defroster fuse and still did not start. I dont hear the pump start or prime on the turn of the key.
I am out of options. Can you offer any advice?

Dude,

Did you read any error codes?

Old 10-27-15, 09:17 PM
algarcia99
Driver School Candidate

I didnt get any lights on the dash, so no I haven't. So far, it has only cost me time and frustration. I'm guessing it has to be something electrical. Maybe a fuse or relay.
Old 10-27-15, 10:02 PM
freakness
Pole Position

I didnt get any lights on the dash, so no I haven't. So far, it has only cost me time and frustration. I'm guessing it has to be something electrical. Maybe a fuse or relay.

Dude,

Have you opened the diagnostic port and shorted TE1 and E1 to display error codes via the CHECK ENGINE light on the dashboard?

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/TechTi...ror_codes.aspx

Old 10-27-15, 10:28 PM
algarcia99
Driver School Candidate

NO I haven't tried that. I may have inadvertently deleted the codes tho. I have pulled that fuse and tried the defroster fuse in its place to test it. I bet I erased the error code at that point.
Old 10-27-15, 10:43 PM
freakness
Pole Position

NO I haven't tried that. I may have inadvertently deleted the codes tho. I have pulled that fuse and tried the defroster fuse in its place to test it. I bet I erased the error code at that point.

Dude,

Any error codes are stored in the main engine ECU. As long as the battery wasn't disconnected, the code/s will still be there.

Old 10-29-15, 06:27 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Sounds like your issue is simple. You are out of gas. The fuel reader says you have a quarter tank or so, but maybe the reader has failed. Try putting in some gas, then try it.
Old 10-31-15, 04:35 PM
algarcia99
Driver School Candidate

its been in the 2 shops. The 1st had no idea. The 2nd traced it down to a bad main ECU. Now need to located 1992 thru early 1994 main ECU located under passenger seat.
Old 11-01-15, 11:15 AM
Japji316
Driver School Candidate

Have you checked your fuel filter?
Old 11-01-15, 11:36 AM
algarcia99
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Japji316
Have you checked your fuel filter?
The problem is before the fuel filter. No power to pump or pump ecu. Shop traced it to main ECU.
Old 11-01-15, 11:41 AM
Japji316
Driver School Candidate

I know that fuel system is on the middle body plug that is in the far back by the firewall. I dont know the name of it and havent found any body plug pinouts(was looking yesterday to check my harness) Its gray and has some pretty thick gauge wires going to it. Maybe check if your getting signal their when you turn ignition on?
Old 11-01-15, 12:03 PM
algarcia99
Driver School Candidate

I know that fuel system is on the middle body plug that is in the far back by the firewall. I dont know the name of it and havent found any body plug pinouts(was looking yesterday to check my harness) Its gray and has some pretty thick gauge wires going to it. Maybe check if your getting signal their when you turn ignition on?
I took it to the shop. I traced and tracked it as much as I could. I ran out of time and decided turn it over to someone who could find the problem faster than myself.
Old 11-01-15, 01:24 PM
Japji316
Driver School Candidate

I feel you bro, I have a similar problem and trying to fix it while juggling between school 300 miles away and fixing my car is hard.
Old 11-01-15, 01:49 PM
algarcia99
Driver School Candidate

I feel you bro, I have a similar problem and trying to fix it while juggling between school 300 miles away and fixing my car is hard.
I hate to take my car to the shop for anything. I do almost all the work myself.... normally. This problem was tougher to diagnose than I am capable of. At least in a rush. This is my only vehicle and it costs me more to try and fix it myself if I figured down time and business lost because of it.
Old 11-01-15, 02:00 PM
Japji316
Driver School Candidate

I guess I'm going to have give in and take my car to a mechanic. I took it to a mechanic in Sept and the guy said I needed a new harness. And it was gonna be $1200 for everything. That afternoon I pulled my harness out and sentit in to Dr. Tweak when ended up saying the harness was fine. So I sort of lost trust with mechanics.