Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

complete climate system replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-15, 12:59 PM
scblackout
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default complete climate system replacement.

When I purchased the car the climate system worked, though you can't see the bottom half of the screen. The only issue was that when the a/c button was pressed, the system would blink as it kicked on and off in a cycle. The compressor never did turn on. As I had no plans of using a/c I didn't care. The heater worked and I could cycle between the vents.

About a week ago while driving with just the vents on, the panel began to blink as the system was cycling. Even hitting the off button did nothing. A few miles later it stayed on as normal. A couple of days ago when starting, the panel would blink, yet there is no cycle this time. No attempt to turn the fans on even, so no defroster means no driving the car. I cannot read the codes due to the screen, and it seems there are dozens of possible solutions and I'm not going to chase them all.

My plan is to replace:
1. climate ecu
2. climate head unit
3. compressor and new lines
4. relay
5. #11 fuse already changed

I've read the threads here about blinking, flashing, climate controls yet none seems to have my particular problem. Not sure if there are other components that could cause this problem.

The one thing I have learned with this car is it is not worth trying to chase gremlins, rather it is easier to replace everything so I never have to think about it again. So if there are 'known' problems that I will eventually experience, I'd rather just do it now in one shot.

b.t.w.
Odds are that the electrical system in the sc is going to go bad long before most anything else, yet there are zero stickies for good electrical troubleshooting threads. Could the mods go through and elevate some of the better ones?