Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC400 no crank, no click, nothing.

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-14, 11:05 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts
Default SC400 no crank, no click, nothing.

okay, there's quite a few threads on this but none seem to be like mine. everyone else either hears a click, multiple clicks, stuff flickers, or nothing turns on at all. my problem just started today, my battery died overnight, i think i left the trunk open and the light was on the whole night. so i jumped the car and it had trouble starting but eventually it started. battery got charged up while i was driving, tried starting the car again and it started perfectly. come back in 3 hours after eating dinner and absolutely no crank. the lights work, dash, all electronics work, but the car won't crank, won't click, it does nothing when the key is turned.

so after about an hour of fumbling with fuses, checking wires, trying to charge or jump the car, tried a different battery, still nothing. throw my old battery in, key off then back on and voila, car started like new. so obviously i didn't turn it off and let it run. got home, tried starting it again and nothing again.

it can't be the starter can it? it was working flawlessly the day before and when it did that one time today. could it be somehting like the relay or the neutral start switch? maybe the car thinks it's not in P or N and it just won't let the starter work? all inputs appreciated, need the car working by saturday evening lol
Old 11-28-14, 12:33 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

anyone? no one got any ideas? when i turn the key the lights on the dash dim for a second as well. that's all i can tell. i've checked the shifter and wiggled it and checked all the connections and everything is good there. checked the immobilizer by unlocking the doors manually, i don't have a multimeter so is there any other way to check the starter relay?
Old 11-28-14, 12:57 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 237 Likes on 215 Posts

No helpful ideas, I'm afraid... At first, it sounded a lot like my friend's car. It seemed like a dead starter but turned out to be a dead battery. The dealer said that particular car behaves that way for some reason, so everything I thought I knew was out the window... I assume the other battery you swapped in was confirmed to be in good condition? That seems like it rules anything out battery related, and having taken the battery out presumably would have reset the ECU (I swear there's a mysterious second source of memory in these cars!), in case that has anything to do with it.

Can you get the car running currently? If so, it would probably be worth going by the auto parts store or battery exchange type place to have them run some tests and rule out anything obvious.
Old 11-28-14, 09:05 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

well got it to work. it's something to do with the ignition. either the antiftheft or the netural start switch isn't working because the key just won't start the car. i jumped the 3 and 5 terminals on the starter relay and the car started. so i took apart the relay, soldered wires to it with a 30amp inline fuse and connected the wires back to my push button start. so i'm back to how i was lol. turn the key to on and start with the button. now just gotta finish these noodles and put the interior back together...
Old 11-28-14, 09:40 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 237 Likes on 215 Posts

I forgot you had done the push button start mod. I wouldn't be surprised if that's somehow to blame. I had to remove a kill switch from my other car because it intermittently disturbed the ignition circuit for no apparent reason. But, I left the toggle switch in place to really confuse would-be thieves.
Old 11-29-14, 12:15 AM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

yea so now my car has to be started with the button, the key no longer works lol. gotta turn the key and then push the button. oh well i guess, once it gets warmer i'll figure out why it stopped working. i doubt it's the button cz i had no problems with it for a couple months now, maybe more. i think it's either the antitheft ECU crapping out or the neutral start switch. whatever it is, doesn't matter for now. got other things to worry about like graduating college and getting a career lol.