Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

RX7 FD 550cc Injectors in a 1JZ

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-14, 03:03 PM
Kire
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX7 FD 550cc Injectors in a 1JZ

I purchased a set of side feed high impedance injectors for my car from a 3rd gen RX7. These are the primary 550cc purple tops that do plug in to the harness but are a bit longer than your normal aristo or stock soarer ones. My question is if the injectors will seal the fuel ok even if the pintle caps are longer? Also the spray pattern appears to be different from the stock injectors which I'm concerned about. Many people run the top feed injectors from the Turbo II 2nd gen but there's little to no info on these.

Old 11-25-14, 03:39 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I don't know about sealing but those type of injectors generally are interchangeable in those year ranges, so it should work. spray pattern will be different but it should still work. rx7 is designed to have a longer fuel stream before atomization due to where the injector sits on the runner the fuel needs to travel some and then atomize compared to a piston engine where atomization is desired right away. the injectors on our cars often have multiple holes on the bottom to give better atomization and fuel spray pattern since on a piston engine the injector is sitting pretty much at the combustion chamber it does not need a fuel of stream to travel.

That being said I have personally used FC 550cc injectors on my na-t and they worked just fine. on a standalone they didn't have the most adjust ability or as perfect of an idle as stock, but they basically got the job done. they may atomize a little later but the fuel does get where it needs to go.
Old 11-25-14, 04:18 PM
Kire
Driver

Thanks Ali! Those injectors are also longer like mine right?
Old 11-28-14, 05:25 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

they are top feed but yeah the bottom part looks different than the ones that were on the 2jzge stock. the stock ones had multiple holes like the gte one above. the rx7 one just had one big hole. it should work but the spray is not ideal for our engines.

like alot of people like the new ev14 injectors, and they have a cone spray pattern, which pretty much beats all the others hands down at getting a nice even fuel ratio in the cylinder. the stock multi-hole ones are not bad though for old technology.
Old 11-29-14, 12:17 AM
Kire
Driver

Thanks again!

So just an update on this: I test fitted the top o-ring from one of my Soarer injectors and the RX7 one fit perfectly and felt like it actually sealed with the rail! The rings on the RX7 are narrower but that simple swap seemed to fix the issue. They do stick out a little but should be ok with the bracket installed. They also fit the stock clips just fine and don't require to be shaved down.

I'll be getting them back on Monday hopefully from AUS Injection here in Tempe who is currently cleaning, testing, and fitting new rings and pintle caps.