Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Could be power steering pump or pulley bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-14, 08:25 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Could be power steering pump or pulley bearing?

I hate this car so much right now.

So I finally got the starter past my clutch line and got it out and installed my new starter. Started the car up and took it for a 40 minute drive just to release some stress and assure myself that everything was peachy in the car.

Everything was fine, so I'm getting back to my parents house and maybe a couple streets away I start hearing a low whine while the steering wheel was pulled. As soon as I straightened out the whine went away. As I pulled up to my parents house and let off the gas I noticed that the pitch of the whine was related to the RPM's which got me thinking it might be either the power steering pump, or the bearing on the power steering pulley, or maybe even the pulley itself, I was curious if any of you had any inputs of your own. Which do you think it is?

I'm supposed to be driving home tomorrow morning (~300 miles). Is it safe for me to put that kind of mileage on the car with a possible problem with the bearing/pulley/power steering pump that just popped up? Obviously I'm going to buy a new pump and
Also I literally hate this car so much right now.

When I was working on the starter I did notice a bit of a leak forming on the underside of the Ps pump, so I'm guessing it's most likely whining just from low fluid, but that leak will most likely have to be addressed rather soon.

From reading around on the forum it looks like I should probably replace the pump, inspect the screen and replace it if it's bad, and possibly replace the power steering lines, and then do a proper flush and bleed to make sure theres no dirt or crud mixed in with the fluid.

Am I missing anything I should be checking?
Have I mentioned how tired I am of not having a properly working SC?