Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Distributor help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-13, 12:41 PM
ALLWiTE2JZ
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Distributor help!

Hey guys, so my distributor keeps leaking oil. Not sure why or how, but it is definitely leaking oil. The shiny metal piece below the cap on the distributor is where the oil drips from, landing on the alternator. I have replaced my distributor with other used ones about 3 times now, and they all end up doing this in the end. I was wondering what the source of the leak could be? Is the distributor o-ring the only thing that can make this thing leak or is there other parts on the distributor that can leak oil too? I wanted to ask if I should replace the whole entire distributor assembly/o-ring or keep the one I have and just replace the o-ring again? Would putting a new distributor in mess up my timing, etc? It just seems like no matter what I do this thing always keeps leaking. Thanks.
Old 08-12-13, 12:57 PM
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe you are supposed to post this in the performance section, but the only leak i've seen is the o-ring after a while.

If you put the dist in wrong I'm pretty sure you would be able to notice.

Alternative solution switch it over to coil on plug and get rid of the entire "dizzy"
Old 08-12-13, 01:15 PM
ALLWiTE2JZ
Lead Lap

I just want to fix the distributor oil leaking issue, not trying to change anything from the original equipment. I find this hard to believe that 3 used distributors I've gone thru are all leaking with new o-rings put on each one. Does anyone have any insight on this?
Old 08-12-13, 01:23 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...read-this.html
Old 08-12-13, 02:11 PM
ALLWiTE2JZ
Lead Lap

Care to chime in on the solution to the problem?
Old 08-12-13, 02:52 PM
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ALLWiTE2JZ
Care to chime in on the solution to the problem?
Chances are there is some type of problem with that channel since the oil is not being held back. If you have any pictures, maybe some other members might be able to help.
Old 08-12-13, 03:13 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

new o-ing from toyota does it for me everytime. shouldn't be the distributor unless the part the o-ring sits on is worn.
I would more likely suspect the head surface where the o-ring sits, check for damage there, clean out all debris and cooked oil, put a coat of new oil on the o-ring before installation. thats about it unless its not sitting all the way in place..
the 2jzge distributors do not leak from the inside generally, and since you have tried 3 of them I would rule that out.

also about the time the distributor O-ring starts leaking the valve covers will be close.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 08-12-13 at 08:05 PM.
Old 08-12-13, 07:08 PM
ALLWiTE2JZ
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
new o-ing from toyota does it for me everytime. shouldn't be the distributor unless the part the o-ring sits on is worn.
I would more likely suspect the head surface where the o-ring sits, check for damage there, clean out all debris and cooked oil, put a coat of new oil on the o-ring before installation. thats about it unless its not sitting all the way in place..
the 2jzge distributors do not leak from the inside generally, and since you have tried 3 of them I would rule that out. bascially it has to be the distributor.

also about the time the distributor O-ring starts leaking the valve covers will be close.
thanks for the help, i sent you a pm too.

anyone else have any ideas? this is driving me nuts!
Old 08-12-13, 08:07 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

wait did you use new o-rings or just install those distributors with the old orings?
old o-rings are almost guaranteed to leak always replace with a new one.
Old 08-12-13, 10:09 PM
ALLWiTE2JZ
Lead Lap

Well, my mechanic is the one who installed the used parts for me, he said he put new o-rings on each time we switched out parts, not sure if he was bullshiitting me or not though.
Old 08-13-13, 09:00 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

I responded to your pm. just post it in here it is easier so others can see.

I am not sure why you would get 3 distributors and then rely on the mechanic to get a new o-ring.
Go get a new O-ring from toyota, and take it to a mechanic to install it, and ask him to clean the part on the head where it goes since you are still having issues.
I have never heard of a new o-ring leaking on a distributor before. If it is replaced properly it should stop leaking.

never use one off an old distributor, after alot of use and then they sit on a shelf exposed to air the rubber shrinks and its like having barely any o-ring at all.

If it is still leaking, then you probably have an issue with the sealing surface on the head since you have tried 3 distributors its not the sealing surface on the shaft most likely.