Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

First tuneup for Me and My Sc400. Spinning Tires Now! ;-)

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-13, 05:28 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Thumbs up First tuneup for Me and My Sc400. Spinning Tires Now! ;-)

WOW,
First of all, thank all you guys for the information and the inspiration. I would have been happily paying for all work on my car until i caught the bug, and got the confidence/knowledge for DIY here.

SERIOUSLY THANKS!

I have never done much of anything beyond changing my oil on a car in my life and I am not a young man.

I decided to make the move on this tuneup and It turned out wonderfully.

My car felt pretty fast but sluggish down low and I think the "sluggish" got really more pronounced after I put seafoam in the gas tank. Maybe that [further] fouled my plugs, you will see them below.

I decided to do plugs, wires, caps, rotors, coil packs, coolant temp sensor, fuel filter, thermostat, and a few other things today. It was a large undertaking for a man who has never had a garage, and just purchased his first socket set last month from sears..

WHAT? no Check Engine Light after installation? (i actually had one but it was just the cable going into my MAF being unplugged)
I expected to be posting with emergencies to such a degree I had my iPad ready.

Anyway, on the way home, I was treated to the biggest surprise in some time for me.
My car feels seriously FAST to me.
Many will brag about the spaceships they have driven for reference, and I defer if thats your history........... but I can't see how anyone can call a stock well tuned Sc400 SLOW.
There are WAY faster cars, but THIS is (now) one of the fastest cars I have owned now that I see what it is designed to do!
I don't think i really need 400/500 horses now, just a 5 speed on this motor and I am good.

Today, on the way home is the first time I have spun my tires easily with this car. I didn't try off the line, just while in motion.
I couldn't be happier about the improvement, and the DIY spirit I caught here that made me DO IT.

This is SO not something i would have wanted to do 20 years ago, and I had the time of my life today doing it today.
Thanks Again!
Attached Thumbnails First tuneup for Me and My Sc400. Spinning Tires Now! ;-)-ramoff.jpg   First tuneup for Me and My Sc400. Spinning Tires Now! ;-)-bustedpartscu.jpg   First tuneup for Me and My Sc400. Spinning Tires Now! ;-)-bustedrotor.jpg   First tuneup for Me and My Sc400. Spinning Tires Now! ;-)-crisplug.jpg   First tuneup for Me and My Sc400. Spinning Tires Now! ;-)-newcoilin.jpg  

Old 04-10-13, 05:38 AM
Ronman15
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats studiogeek
Old 04-10-13, 06:01 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Ronman15
Congrats studiogeek
Thank you sir!
Old 04-10-13, 06:54 AM
Clean400
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't do much of my own mechanic work, this thread makes me think I should be doing more of my own work.

And little things make all the world of difference. My other SC has a small exhaust leak, and even just a tiny exhaust leak I notice a loss in power on that car.

And the SC is definitely a fast car. I kept up with an older E class mercedes AMG merging on to the highway the other day. He probably had 350hp. Was really impressed how well the SC did. I didn't get to properly race him but the SC is no slouch. On videos of acceleration of my car from launch it does 0-60 in 6 seconds flat, with just a high stall torque converter I'm going to be in the 5s. The car is definitely fast enough to get me into trouble.

Good thread
Old 04-10-13, 07:38 AM
Maserati
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Sick work man! I have to follow in your footsteps, im going to get a set also at sears
Old 04-10-13, 08:27 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Glad you caught the DIY bug, those rotors have seen better days thats for sure!
Plugs actually don't look too bad no signs of wear on the insulator, but from the huge gap I can tell they are old.
Im sure it made a huge improvement, glad you are enjoying it.
Once you start doing it its not so bad, whats the next mod? lol...

The 1uz gets a bad rep sometimes because of simple ignition issues like these, but the motor itself is solid.
Toyota put souped up versions of the 1uz in all their race cars years ago, its a really nice engine when you look into how much attention they put into all the small details, which is why they spent almost a half billion $ researching them.
Old 04-10-13, 03:57 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Exclamation Thanks For The Support Guys!!!

Originally Posted by Clean400
I don't do much of my own mechanic work, this thread makes me think I should be doing more of my own work.

And little things make all the world of difference. My other SC has a small exhaust leak, and even just a tiny exhaust leak I notice a loss in power on that car.

And the SC is definitely a fast car. I kept up with an older E class mercedes AMG merging on to the highway the other day. He probably had 350hp. Was really impressed how well the SC did. I didn't get to properly race him but the SC is no slouch. On videos of acceleration of my car from launch it does 0-60 in 6 seconds flat, with just a high stall torque converter I'm going to be in the 5s. The car is definitely fast enough to get me into trouble.

Good thread
Thanks! I am having a bit of trouble controlling myself now as well. I have had a super clean license for ages and it has opened the door to the best insurance rates I have ever had. I think of that when I hammer it down and it's usually a short fit of madness.

Originally Posted by Maserati
Sick work man! I have to follow in your footsteps, im going to get a set also at sears
Thank You! I got a really cool set for 100$. Suits me just fine for now.

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
Glad you caught the DIY bug, those rotors have seen better days thats for sure!
Plugs actually don't look too bad no signs of wear on the insulator, but from the huge gap I can tell they are old.
Im sure it made a huge improvement, glad you are enjoying it.
Once you start doing it its not so bad, whats the next mod? lol...

The 1uz gets a bad rep sometimes because of simple ignition issues like these, but the motor itself is solid.
Toyota put souped up versions of the 1uz in all their race cars years ago, its a really nice engine when you look into how much attention they put into all the small details, which is why they spent almost a half billion $ researching them.
Ali, nice to know they were not too bad. I thought they were burnt big time.

The next mods?
I am going to mount the Work VX-ZF (255/285 18) and Roll/pull as necessary.

Then timing belt water pump, seals etc. Unfortunately, I am not ready to tackle that one.
If I was getting it done at a local shop I would SURELY volunteer to help for free just to learn. I am getting it done at a Toyota dealer in Manhattan though and I'm sure their insurance wont allow it.

After that, suspension. I am trying to decide on a spring/shock combo. I feel like the gixxer-drew is the "sportiest" I could safely go in NYC but it's over budget. I'm considering Tanabe NF210 for supra TT. Or a similar drop. I'm thinking 1.5 Max.

Then i will make it beautiful. A milder kit, 97+ parts, who knows as i am collecting a few different body parts, painting them my color and swapping them in and out to change the look until i fall in love with one.

Wonder what they did to those 1UZ race motors. They must be SWEEEEEET! I'll have to look them up.

Thanks for the inspiration man. Your patience and informative posts are an education unto themselves.
Old 04-10-13, 04:18 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats man glad you love the SC
Old 04-10-13, 04:23 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Awesome! Is your trunk full of parts now? (says your sig)
Old 04-10-13, 05:50 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SC400slide
Awesome! Is your trunk full of parts now? (says your sig)
Yep.... actually half full of parts now.
I still have the comprehensive timing belt, water pump, seals kit waiting for the next job, and the bushing kits for control arms and rack,
Old 04-10-13, 07:37 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Joey-E
Congrats man glad you love the SC
Thanks Joey!
Old 04-10-13, 07:48 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

Congrats man. It's good to see more enthusiasts turning their own wrenches.
Old 04-10-13, 09:20 PM
Supruxes
Driver

Congrats, i am too afraid to tackle a tune up on my SC300, that crossover intake mani and all them vacuum lines look intimidating.
Old 04-10-13, 10:17 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

They aren't. Colored tape to match everything up.
Old 04-11-13, 10:43 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 2jznosht
They aren't. Colored tape to match everything up.
Brilliant idea!

I did not have to remove many vacuum hoses. Just a few really. That guys 300 must be different in that regard.

Last edited by Studiogeek; 04-11-13 at 10:47 AM.

Quick Reply: First tuneup for Me and My Sc400. Spinning Tires Now! ;-)