Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

another 1.5jz question

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-12, 01:28 AM
Milenkoben
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so im not sure where it said anything on here about the head taking away half a liter, and that little rant about it just confused me more than anything. Either way, like megamax im wondering if the stock wiring harness will work. I am thinking about going this route and really the only thing holding me back is whether or not im gonna have to pay some one to install a new harness because thats definitely more hassle than i want to personally deal with if it needs a different one.
Old 12-15-12, 12:40 PM
StuntKing
Driver

I don't remember anyone saying the 1j head takes away .5 liters and from what ive seen/read ppl just swap out the 1j block for the 2jzgte block, not sure on what gasket to use tho.

As for the ecu, buy a 1j to 2j ecu patch harness and be done
Old 12-15-12, 01:59 PM
suprahero
Driver

I don't think he meant that the 1j takes away a half a liter. I think he was simply saying that it's better to just go with a full 2jz instead of the 1.5jz.
I actually have the 1.5jz in my mkiii supra and I plan on taking it out and putting it in an SC300,
You won't need to change the wiring harness if you already have the 1jz. You just change the block to a 2jz and you will need the pipe that goes into the waterneck made a little longer. I also used the stock 2jzgte head gasket. If you're having the block built, you will want to make sure to find out how much the machine shop removes from your block and your head while machining. You'll want to add that back to your head gasket to retain stock compression ratio.
Old 12-15-12, 02:01 PM
suprahero
Driver

Also, the 1jz ecu's do tend to melt capacitors for some reason causing numerous problems. I don't know that I've heard any thing like this with the 2jz ecu's. That's probably why it's been said a couple of times that the 1jz ecu's are junk.

I personally went with the stinger ems from driftmotion, but I will probably be changing to an AEM since I'll be going autotragic with my sc instead of the r154 that's in my supra.
Old 12-15-12, 04:28 PM
megamax
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sell me your r154!!
Old 10-22-14, 11:28 AM
mrsky7
Driver School Candidate

Default easy as pie

I have a 1.5jz in my mk3 supra now and I'm running the 1jz oil pump and also a he block. I put the 1jz pistons in the he block and bam! You have a turbo block that's good for 900+. I also used the 1jz OEM headgasket. And you also need the 2jz upper water neck. Also the wire harness plug and play. You will also need to tap into the oil pan for the oil drain.
Old 02-24-17, 11:35 PM
megamax
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mrsky7
I have a 1.5jz in my mk3 supra now and I'm running the 1jz oil pump and also a he block. I put the 1jz pistons in the he block and bam! You have a turbo block that's good for 900+. I also used the 1jz OEM headgasket. And you also need the 2jz upper water neck. Also the wire harness plug and play. You will also need to tap into the oil pan for the oil drain.
wait, so I'm reading this correctly, you put 1JZ rods/pistons in a 2jz block?? interesting...
Old 02-24-17, 11:47 PM
megamax
Lexus Champion

well took a few years, but I'm finally here(yes I'm late). so got this almost ready to mount and installing the r154 ive had for years sitting around.

so my neck is too short, going to look for a weld-able solution tomorrow.

so I'm thinking about capping this coolant nipple in the head??