Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1.5JZ and Engine management.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-08, 09:13 PM
Mrpickles
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1.5JZ and Engine management.

Ok, here goes.

I tried the search button and it failed me.

So I started a new thread to ask a simple question. What kind of engine management would best benefit a 1.5JZ (1JZ head with 2JZ bottom end) set up? I'm almost positive I can't use the stock ECU even if I run stock turbos for awhile, it will just run dangerously lean if at all.

For clarification I'm piecing together a 1.5JZ out of a Soarer 1JZ head and a 2JZ-GE block with GTE pistons and rods. I'm still unclear whether to use the 1JZ or 2JZ HG >.<

Anyways I'm assuming I need to go stand alone, esspecially for when I go single turbo. Which would be the most appropriate platform to start with? How hard is the wiring going to be for a wiring noob?(The harness extension was a bit of a learning process at first now I just have to take a few more hours to finish it.)

And also I haven't even tried it yet so I figure I'll save my self 10 minutes by asking; can I use a rear sump 1JZ pan on a 2JZ GE block so I can skip the tapping process?

I think that's all I need to know. Thanks in advance, and be nice this is my first engine build project.
Old 09-17-08, 10:38 PM
jgdynamics
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

http://forum.clubna-t.com/showthread...ighlight=1.5jz

something i found on clubna-t...

- Harness - You have some options here. All depends on where you want to go with it. I'd use a soarer/mk3 harness and cut out what you need for splicing it into a 2JZ-GE existing harness w/ 2JZ ecu. Or you could lengthen the entire soarer 1JZ harness if you are going to use a 1JZ ecu.

-2JZ-GTE JDM (map) ECU or 1JZ ECU if you end up using a complete soarer harness (will require a fuel controller for added displacement). Or, spring for an AEM if you just got the cash . The JDM 2JZ ECU will work just fine, especially if you are using the 440s and MAP layout. It will act just like a stock tune of a 2JZ-GTE (JDM) motor. 1JZ ecu (soarer) will also be OK, although I'm still not convinced it will handle the added displacement. Some say no problem, some say no. I need to consult the Aussies for the answers, they got many more hybrids than we do

-440cc JDM injectors w/ JDM MAP - nice drop-in upgrade for the 1JZ
-a SAFC (original) would be a good bit to throw in there for cheap too for a bit of extra tuning
-Fuel pump
-1JZ auto trans - The JDM ECU will drive the 1JZ trans with some modifications, I am working on this now. Of course, the 1JZ will power it no problems, and the NA ecu will as well.
Old 09-17-08, 10:39 PM
jgdynamics
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

-Complete 1JZ head (Coil packs, valve covers, sensors and internals)
-1JZ turbo assembly (manifold, turbos, turbo piping)
-1JZ intake manifold w/ throttle body
-2JZ SMIC w/ piping or FMIC w/ piping - Any 2JZ TT flavor will work
-Stock TT throttle cable
-New OEM headbolts or ARP studs (cheap insurance)
-MSD tach converter or 1JZ-GTE tach
-Braided lines and flanges for oil feed/returns into GE block
-Drill bit assortment, tap (for oil lines)
-Supra TT power steering coupler (nipple) or complete TT power steering reservoir
-2JZ-GTE headgaskets
-2JZ-GTE downpipe - ebay special, will require some modification
-2JZ-GTE/GE camgears - Stockers off your NA head will be fine *checking to see if this is needed, but pretty sure it is w/ the 2JZ t-belt*

hope this helps... im planning a 1.5jz in the near future as well.. once i blow the HG on this one.
Old 09-17-08, 10:54 PM
AdamLexus
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was looking into all of this too as I have an extra 2JZ engine just lying around in my garage. What are the benifits (Pros/ Cons) of doing the 1.5 setup ?
Old 09-17-08, 11:08 PM
Mrpickles
Driver

Thanks for the detailed reply.

I already have a 1JZGTE soarer motorset with a 255lph fuel pump(soarer), harness/auto ecu, SMIC(Soarer) w/ pipes.

I was planning on running the W58 that's in the car now and upgrading to R154 in the future, which means splicing the neutral safety blah blah blah.

So as I understand it I could run the Soarer auto ECU with an SAFC to make up for the increase in displacement. Or my other option would be to get ahold of the JDM 2JZ 440 injectors and run an Aristo ECU. It sounds like the first option would be a much easier temporary fix.

Also I'm working on the head a little bit; HKS 272s, Dual valve springs, 3-angle, HKS Cam gears...
Would the SAFC be able to tune well enough for that? Seems like at some point I'd have to go AEM.
Old 09-17-08, 11:09 PM
Mrpickles
Driver

As far as the benefits, More Tq and faster spool isn't enough for you?

Ok I guess I jumped the gun a little bit, found this thread from a link on the Club NA-T link that jgdynamics posted.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...9&page=1&pp=15

Has some information, and alot of people who have no idea what a distributor is or why turbocharged engines don't have high comp. ratios.

Last edited by Mrpickles; 09-17-08 at 11:21 PM.
Old 09-18-08, 11:58 AM
D1GP
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

why would you go with stock ECU if you are going 1.5JZ?

if you are spending the money and building a monster, go with a proper stand-alone EMS.
Old 09-18-08, 01:05 PM
Mrpickles
Driver

True, a stand alone is probably the most effective and reliable way to tune the whole set-up. So what would you reccomend as the best stand alone out there that can be attached to the 1JZ Soarer harness? At least one that doesn't require insane amounts of custom wiring.
Old 09-18-08, 08:10 PM
Teflon Don
Rookie

can an AEM from a 2jzgte work on a 1jz harness?
Old 09-18-08, 08:21 PM
Mrpickles
Driver

+1 waiting on that answer myself.

Specifically for the JZZ30 Harness.
Old 09-19-08, 10:48 AM
Slow_Sc3
Lead Lap

if you guy have more 1.5jz question pm me as iv done this swap a few times and my sc is 1.5jz you can use the stock 1jz harness stock 1jz ecu and jdm 440s and your car will run just fine. btw aem for the 2jz wont fit the 1jz harness even the jza70 aem wont work. you need to find a mines, sard ect ecu and use a piggy back that is the cheapest way around it or use dr tweaks harness or wire an pin your own harness nothing to complicated.

<- BTW this is Slow_Sc3 from supraforums.

Last edited by Slow_Sc3; 09-19-08 at 11:07 AM.
Old 09-19-08, 10:53 AM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Teflon Don
can an AEM from a 2jzgte work on a 1jz harness?
yes it can just get a patch harness. that is what i did for mine.

just get AEM EMS 30-1100 and call up Dr tweak and tell him you want to do a aem ems 30-1100 on 1jz soarer. ill have my patch harness monday or tuesday for my car so ill get you all pictures of it. my ems gets in today
Old 09-19-08, 11:04 AM
tavarish
Lexus Test Driver

or just custom wire the harness, not too hard.
Old 09-19-08, 11:56 AM
Mrpickles
Driver

Thanks guys. And Slow SC3, your car is a masterpiece.
Old 09-19-08, 01:10 PM
AD_SC3
Lexus Test Driver

Thats a pretty big slug !!!!!

Quick Reply: 1.5JZ and Engine management.