Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Better than BFI

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-12, 04:31 PM
SEIDO
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Better than BFI

Decided to build a Cold-Air Intake, but it had to be aesthetically pleasing as well as functional.
No cutting involved, just remove the OEM Air-Box, and go from there. I thought of writing up a D.I.Y. but it's pretty self-explanitory ...
Behind the passenger-side front wheel, theres vented plastic which makes a "box" basically, for your factory intake; this is gonna do wonders with the cone-filter (being a ram-air), as it'll contain the air-flow that passes thru the front bumper.
Regarding the vinyl, I used a heat gun to soften it, then pushed-out any wrinkles, or air-bubbles by hand.

Materials:
Vinyl Wrap (I used Brushed Aluminum)
3" PVC Pipe
90° Elbow
3" Rubber Coupler (Pull-off the metal stuff, and trash it).
Cone-style Air Filter (Found one brand new, on Craigslist for Free!)

Total: ≈ $30

Last edited by SEIDO; 09-02-12 at 05:08 PM.
Old 09-02-12, 04:57 PM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a feeling your filter is going to get wet. I applaud your effort but the bends and materials are most likely going to cause turbulence within itself and wont give as much power as you think. Now if you used the BFI, and instead used created a metal snorkle with a co2 cooling plate built in to lower AIT's and maybe meth injection you would be on to something.

Either congrats on using your noggin...most people would not think to create something. Good job...Maybe we will see a revision in the BtBFI 2...lol. (better than BFI).
Old 09-02-12, 05:14 PM
SEIDO
Instructor

Glad you like it, thank you
I thought about water, but Im not too worried; I can get a Bypass Valve later on.
In the meantime this'll suffice; my biggest concern was having the air-filter fit directly in-front of that air duct in the bumper; I wanted to put it to good use. It sits there perfectly, the rubber elbow was just the right length in all.
So far, it's made a considerable difference in 1st and 2nd gears, and sounds pretty sweet also.
Im happy
Old 09-02-12, 05:32 PM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did the same thing on my SC4. BFI seemed to make a bit more power according to the butt dyno
Old 09-02-12, 05:50 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

The water would be my first concern on this investment. I have seen this before and has appeared to look great, but the increase has been minimum comapred to the BFI, been dyno proven somewhere. I also applaud you for the effort, the look looks great and as long as you are happy with the results, thats all that matters. I am not one to flame on here. I applaud you for the effort and money spent. You might also see an increase in the MPG department also. Check back and give us updates on the intake.
Old 09-02-12, 08:38 PM
SEIDO
Instructor

Will do; I'll get a vacuum meter, and provide the results.
Has anyone done so with the BFI?

I still think mine's better though haha, 'cus it's more aesthetically pleasing I think
Old 09-02-12, 09:20 PM
SC400DAVE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CityKnight
Will do; I'll get a vacuum meter, and provide the results.
Has anyone done so with the BFI?
http://planetsoarer.com/sitingcoldin...irIntakes.html
Old 09-03-12, 07:44 AM
TweakTech
Lead Lap

Yea, your filter will more than likely get wet, however, that does not necessarily mean damage to the engine. For you to suck up water, that filter will need to be completely submerged. You would have to basically go diving off a boat launch!

Either way! Nice to see the creativity, and this would be a great "mod" for those on a budget and want to get rid of their factory air box.

(ps - you are a brave soul for posting a PVC piping intake )
Old 09-03-12, 08:29 AM
DRFT103
Lead Lap

Hey bro just so you know, they make rain filters that slip over the air filter, just buy one of those and roll with it, I have my filter set in the same location on my 1JZ with that slip on rain filter. google it!
Old 09-03-12, 09:52 AM
Maik04
Driver

Wouldnt it be better if the cone was facing the vent? As in the center hole of the filter is facing you when you look at the vent?
Old 09-03-12, 11:29 AM
SEIDO
Instructor

Maik04 - Probably.
To do that, I'd need another elbow however; the filter faces down because the elbow points that way.
Currently, it's contained within a box of air, and the duct (in the bumper) guides the flow directly into the filter; so I think it'll suffice for the time being. What you're saying would be ideal though, and I thought about it, but again this was a budget-build, and I'd need another elbow to make it happen.
Im happy with it for now. At a distance when approaching the car, you can see a red filter, subtly peaking-out from the bumper, providing a small clue that there may be "more" under the hood. It's nice.

SC400DAVE - Thanks!
Im still gonna run some other tests though. (I like it, but) Im not satisfied yet, by those results
Old 09-03-12, 02:36 PM
SC400DAVE
Lexus Test Driver

Cool! I hope to see some dyno runs with your set up and a properly built BFI. Your solution looks a lot easier to do! I hope it blows the BFI out of the water. (no pun intended.lol)
Old 09-03-12, 03:19 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TweakTech
Yea, your filter will more than likely get wet, however, that does not necessarily mean damage to the engine. For you to suck up water, that filter will need to be completely submerged. You would have to basically go diving off a boat launch!

Either way! Nice to see the creativity, and this would be a great "mod" for those on a budget and want to get rid of their factory air box.

(ps - you are a brave soul for posting a PVC piping intake )
Or a puddle, or standing water after a storm...
Old 09-10-12, 05:59 PM
SCary400
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That elbow is a huge restriction/flow killer. I'd argue that despite the colder air you've probably lost power due to the way the air has to flow now.

Originally Posted by CityKnight
At a distance when approaching the car, you can see a red filter, subtly peaking-out from the bumper, providing a small clue that there may be "more" under the hood.
But there isn't more is there? Putting on something for show is worse than leaving it stock in my opinion. On par with a fake intercooler, an exhaust tip, or a big wing.

And if you're going to ghetto-fab something like this, at least don't cover it in fake metal-look vinyl. Wear your ghetto-fab badge with pride.

It's not to say that a PVC intake is a bad thing, it's just the way you've gone about it, and the car you've done it on (the stock intake is not known for being restrictive). My money says that you purposely chose that rubber elbow in order to keep with the "not pvc" look you're going with (evidenced by the fake-metal vinyl). While getting an actual pvc elbow at the right angle and sealing it with the appropriate glue would be a less turbulent job.