Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1JZGTE or a 2JZGTE Swap?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-12, 07:43 PM
Kire
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1JZGTE or a 2JZGTE Swap?

Alright so I did my research and found out for the most part what each of these swaps require. The only questions I have is whether or not the Soarer 1JZGTE wire harness would work directly with my factory 94 components like the ac, gauge cluster, radio, etc. On Dr. Tweaks site he has the 2JZ and the 1JZ wiring harness for about the same price. Many people say you just have to extend the harness and it should work so I'm thrown off as to why they cost about the same.

My other questions are if the 2JZ requires any custom mounts to be made or if I can use the Mark IV or SC300 stock ones and if there will be any clearance issues with the motor? Since I don't know how to weld I would like to do minimal fabrication work (firewall cutting, crossmember, tranny tunnel, etc.) as possible.

I've pretty much narrowed it down to these two swaps. I thought about a 1.5 but my stock engine has a bad knock and I'm not sure if it's the rod bearings or something else. I'll be putting up both of my 2JZGE's for sale shortly once I get the other motor out of the car. The guy who I bought the car from had a spare one and threw it in with the car. I'm planning on doing the swap myself with some friends. I have a daily driver so I can realistically take my time on this build. Thanks for the input.
Old 08-14-12, 08:04 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I just completed the 1JZ swap in my 400. Wiring was a bit more trickier but doable . with yours being a 300, not nearly as bad. i love the JZ motors but the choice is yours. the stock 300 mounts will work without any modifications whatsoever . Good luck in your decision. use the search button to find more answers you might have.
Old 08-14-12, 08:22 PM
vangb2
Pole Position

You should analyze your goals first.
Old 08-14-12, 09:21 PM
Kire
Driver

Thanks for the input 92. I was originally going to go with an SC400 too but I found this one.

Originally Posted by vangb2
You should analyze your goals first.
I know what my goals are but these questions were the ones I could not find clear answers for. I'm more and likely going with a 1J. I plan on making this a daily driver, being able to drift, and occasionally drag race in it. As far as hp I'm looking at about 400whp which should satisfy my needs. I decided on a R154 5 speed tranny which I know is pushing it but I don't want to dump a bunch of money just yet until I get more experience with drifting.
Old 08-14-12, 09:34 PM
wirelesstj
Lead Lap

R154 is not pushing it at all. W58 would be pushing it
Old 08-14-12, 09:36 PM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kire
Thanks for the input 92. I was originally going to go with an SC400 too but I found this one.

I know what my goals are but these questions were the ones I could not find clear answers for. I'm more and likely going with a 1J. I plan on making this a daily driver, being able to drift, and occasionally drag race in it. As far as hp I'm looking at about 400whp which should satisfy my needs. I decided on a R154 5 speed tranny which I know is pushing it but I don't want to dump a bunch of money just yet until I get more experience with drifting.
400hp on a 1j with an R154 is easy the 1jz stock makes 280hp according to Toyota(more) but I an many others have made over 350 on stock twins with a front mount pipping, a larger DP,and adding some boost.
The r154 will has and does handle 400 with ease even on a stock clutch without issue.
GL.

Both motors will fit fine on the stock mounts from your 2j na but I would make a suggestion and while pulling the motor leave your compressor complete and just take it off the old 2j and you will just reattach to the new donor motor 1or 2 J this will prevent you from having to dump the freon and evacing the system and recharging.
Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-14-12, 10:03 PM
Kire
Driver

I'll have to make sure to leave it in there then to prevent less headaches. Wireless you're from AZ too? It looks like I'm having a tough time locating a Soarer 1JZ. Most of them on ebay and other stores list and I quote "Saorer, Supra, Chaser" engines. I've seen some on ebay and on Suprastore but they're asking a lot for it. I'm thinking it's a sign to go for a 2JZ.

Too bad I have to wait 30 days before I can post on the classified section.
Old 08-14-12, 10:53 PM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kire
I'll have to make sure to leave it in there then to prevent less headaches. Wireless you're from AZ too? It looks like I'm having a tough time locating a Soarer 1JZ. Most of them on ebay and other stores list and I quote "Saorer, Supra, Chaser" engines. I've seen some on ebay and on Suprastore but they're asking a lot for it. I'm thinking it's a sign to go for a 2JZ.

Too bad I have to wait 30 days before I can post on the classified section.
any 1jz with a rear sump will work.
The majority of 2j will be front sump, the only 2j that was rear sump came from a supra and $ will be asked for!
You could reuse your rear sump but it will have to be tapped for the oil drain and true turbo rear sump goes for the $300-350 range also if your going stick the only 2jz that came stick is a 6spd Supra .
The 1jz rear sump came in the Soarer with a r 154 and a Supra (3gen)
A true Soarer swap
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-Toyota-S...879d82&vxp=mtr

GL!

Last edited by blk&blu*j; 08-14-12 at 10:56 PM.
Old 08-14-12, 11:14 PM
FuMoFFuTT
Lexus Test Driver

I have a 1jz, I want a 2jz.

Depends on your goals
Old 08-14-12, 11:45 PM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not na-t? I wonder if most of yall who want 400hp even know what its truly like or if your picking an arbitrary number. Why not get your technique down pat with an na setup. Then if you need more power go nat. You can get that "400" mark on the ge motor. Why spend more money then you have too. Also are you aware of maintenance on higher hp motors, let alone modified motors? Turning up the boost is not always the solution.
Old 08-15-12, 01:29 AM
matzinm2
Driver School Candidate

I think my main issue with NA-T is a high mileage engine. I don't wanna blow the damn thing up and have to rebuild right after that!
Old 08-15-12, 08:14 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^^^^^So what do you think the mileage are on those JDM Junkyard engines? 45k /60k miles?
Old 08-15-12, 08:47 AM
Kire
Driver

The costs of going NA-T is similar to that of going with a 1J swap. Not to mention that you still have to worry about maintenance and upgrading internals past a certain point. My engine has 160k miles and has a bad knock so I would have to rebuild it before boosting it. Compression would be my biggest concern with NA-T. A bigger head gasket should resolve it but I still don't know what is wrong yet. I don't plan on going for 400whp right away. That's my ultimate goal. The engines on these motors range from 40 to 90k which is about half of what I have.
Old 08-15-12, 08:56 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^^^ Yeah in your case gte is your best friend!

For FYI those motors do not all have 40k to 90k miles , it's not true , it's a lie.
Old 08-15-12, 10:19 AM
MaszSC300
Driver School Candidate

Have you considered a LS1 instead of a 2J. I did a 2JZ swap in my sc300 and wish I would of down an LS1 less hassle to fine tune.

Quick Reply: 1JZGTE or a 2JZGTE Swap?