Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Few concerns going to run single 1JZ with auto trans

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-12, 08:14 PM
BeeMiX
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Few concerns going to run single 1JZ with auto trans

Hey there,

I have some big plans for my car this year. Currently im running stock 1JZGTE but Im planning to run TiAL GT35R, standalone management and still using auto trans. Why auto trans? Because for me style of SC, as a big, luxury coupe, goes well only with auto trans. I tried to use search button on this forum many times and now I want to clear my thoughts.

- How should I resolve situation when standalone will be managing the engine? Auto trans still needs some inputs. Should I leave stock ECU as responsible of managing trans? If yes how should that be set up. What kind of signals trans should get to operate properly? Now after the swap I have my O/D light blinking, saying that there is speed sensor problem, but my speedometer is working good. Maybe Suprastick will be the best option ?

- Is there cruise control ECU or its managed by engine ECU ? I will loose cruise control going stand alone ?

- Im going to put big trans cooler for sure. Is it enough for trans to handle power from 1JZ with 23psi (1.5 bar) of boost ? Should I do shims for actuators in trans or it will not extend trans life? Any general maintenance ? Any tips regarding tune of the engine to prolong trans life? Anyone tried IS300 trans oil pump? It is a street car, it has to be fast on highway. We have a different way of driving in Europe

- I have MkIV LSD waiting to be put in and I want to make my speedometer accurate, any easy way to make it happen ? Can i mix LSD with SC430/GS430 long final drive ratio ?

Thanks for all your answers and time!
Old 05-23-12, 09:02 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

What kind of engine management are you planning on running, that will impact alot of the auto trans features.
alot of the standalones like the aem ems will control the automatic just fine, you do not need the stock ecu.
cruise ecu is separate, and can function on a standalone as long as you leave all the other components in place.

as for how much the 1jzgte auto trans can handle, not really sure on that one but maintenance and a trans cooler will probably go a good ways.

The mk4 lsd alone will not change your ratio (unless you have the whole pumpkin), what determines that is the big ring gear, and you can reuse your stock one when you drop in the lsd unit. if keeping the speedo accurate is what you are after, keep the stock ring gear. if you are looking to modify your gearing, there are a few options from the sc's supra's and gs's that will drop right in, just do a quick search for differentials / gearing.
Old 05-23-12, 09:38 PM
BeeMiX
Rookie

Im about to run a new product of my friend, Ecumaster EMU, you can find details here http://www.ecumaster.com/download/OT...reliminary.pdf Guy has years of experience in business. Piggy back that he created few years ago is working awesome too. Few 1JZs in Poland are already running on EMU, but non with auto trans. EMU has very competitive price of ~700$ ( all features like wideband controller, bulid in MAP sensor included). Im going to try introduce it to US market this year, but now is too early to talk about it.

As far as I know it wont support auto trans, same as MoTeC I guess. So what should I do now ?

I don't want to use the stock gearing. I got entire pumpkin so final ratio will change. Extra question was: Can I swap gearing for the very long one from GS430/SC430 ?
Old 05-23-12, 09:40 PM
g4ebguy90
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I deff agree on a nice trans cooler. I remember reading about the most fast killer of a auto trans is heat and for every so many degrees below you are it will last X many more miles.
Old 05-23-12, 09:41 PM
BeeMiX
Rookie

So temp sensor + gauge can come handy. What is the best operating temperature for this trans ? I guess I don't want to cool down the oil too much too
Old 05-24-12, 12:52 AM
sj408
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not use a SupraStick? its a stand alone trans computer designed for the a340, its what ill be using hopefully coupled with this is300 steering wheel i just got. I mean if what im reading about your worried about using a stand alone that doesnt support auto? i dont plan on doing that but i plan on using it for the feature of the "paddle shift" but i assume it would work for you fine

Last edited by sj408; 05-24-12 at 12:57 AM.
Old 05-24-12, 06:51 AM
jmorando05
Driver

My buddies selling a supra stick if interested
Old 05-24-12, 07:21 AM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BeeMiX
- I have MkIV LSD waiting to be put in and I want to make my speedometer accurate, any easy way to make it happen ?

Czesc polak!

You can use this.
http://www.yellr.com/
Old 05-24-12, 09:45 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Yes you can swap the gearing, its common for turbo setups
Old 05-24-12, 05:23 PM
BeeMiX
Rookie

Originally Posted by sj408
Why not use a SupraStick? its a stand alone trans computer designed for the a340, its what ill be using hopefully coupled with this is300 steering wheel i just got. I mean if what im reading about your worried about using a stand alone that doesnt support auto? i dont plan on doing that but i plan on using it for the feature of the "paddle shift" but i assume it would work for you fine
Yes, exactly, my standalone is not supporting auto trans, so Im trying to figure out a way to make it happen. I would like to keep stock ECU as responsible of control only trans, anyone tried that ?

Originally Posted by jmorando05
My buddies selling a supra stick if interested
Why not, shoot me PM with price

Originally Posted by INTIMAZY
Czesc polak!

You can use this.
http://www.yellr.com/
Cześć cześć. Thanks !

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
Yes you can swap the gearing, its common for turbo setups
Awesome, Thank you!