Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Why can't I spin the tires off the line

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-12, 07:03 PM
ajmccarrel
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well then..... I had quite a placebo effect from the cruise control delete. Lol!
Old 05-15-12, 07:09 PM
kponti
Driver

Originally Posted by MongooseGA
Traction control system.

What size tires do you have? Mine would light up the stock 225s easily but these aren't really muscle cars. With my 265s it strains to spin them at a dry stop.

With 2.5" piping, these motors don't create enough back pressure down low. You should have noticed a loss of low-end power and bogging down when you went with such a large exhaust. 2 1/4" piping will help even it out.

Also, I stopped doing burn outs because tires, gas, and strained drivetrain components are expensive when your parents don't pay for them anymore.
Bolded part do not apply here! This is NOT a 1970s carburated car
Old 05-15-12, 09:04 PM
laxdude362
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok for god's sake. Some SC400's come with traction control and some don't. If you do have it you will have a button next to the shifter and it will say TRAC in your engine bay. If you don't have a button then you DON'T have it! No one tried to remove it or whatever dumb idea the guy earlier posted. The 2.5 inch piping is hurting your performance, especially down low. You need to keep it at 2.25 inches. Use TCS for traction control system and TC for torque converter, so you stop confusing everybody. This is all pretty simple stuff that has been discussed NUMEROUS times. You are a new member and need to learn to use the search feature. A majority of your questions can be answered by researching them.
Old 05-15-12, 09:39 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by MongooseGA
With 2.5" piping, these motors don't create enough back pressure down low. You should have noticed a loss of low-end power and bogging down when you went with such a large exhaust. 2 1/4" piping will help even it out.

You never ever ever ever want back pressure. Back pressure is bad in any case and it hinders your engine to breathe. The larger the pipe, the larger the backpressure. You only need the pipe as large as the engine needs. 2-1/4" seems to be a good compromise on an N/A motor.
Old 05-15-12, 09:49 PM
ajmccarrel
Driver

Originally Posted by kponti
What do you mean? Is what he said wrong, or those parts are causing the issue? Im not sure what you really mean.
Old 05-15-12, 09:52 PM
ajmccarrel
Driver

Originally Posted by laxdude362
Ok for god's sake. Some SC400's come with traction control and some don't. If you do have it you will have a button next to the shifter and it will say TRAC in your engine bay. If you don't have a button then you DON'T have it! No one tried to remove it or whaEtever dumb idea the guy earlier posted. The 2.5 inch piping is hurting your performance, especially down low. You need to keep it at 2.25 inches. Use TCS for traction control system and TC for torque converter, so you stop confusing everybody. This is all pretty simple stuff that has been discussed NUMEROUS times. You are a new member and need to learn to use the search feature. A majority of your questions can be answered by researching them.
I am usually searching first then asking. There is a lot of conflicting information, unhelpful information, outright wrong information and incomplete threads.
Old 05-15-12, 10:01 PM
ajmccarrel
Driver

On the piping, does it make any difference what size my piping is considering that i am using the stock headers and that there is still a foot or two of stock piping after the cat? All of the 2.5" pipe is right before the x pipe and between the x pipe and the mufflers. My understanding after reading more is that if the pipe at any point post cat is 2.25" then the piping is in effect 2.25"? Is this correct?
Old 05-15-12, 10:01 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kponti
I literally cringe everytime someone still spews the words "motor needs backpressure."

I'm gonna leave this here.

http://www.gomog.com/allmorgan/exhaustbackpressure.html

Dual 2.25" piping will choke off a 4.0L motor in the top end. It's cutting it too close as far as CFM requirements go (assuming ~400cfm flow on a 4L motor spinning 6500rpm at VE of 85%). Dual 2.5" is just fine.

And yes, the minimum diameter of your exhaust is the bottleneck that limits CFM. However, transitions screw with velocity and are not a good idea unless you make them go larger the further back you go.
Old 05-16-12, 08:24 AM
ajmccarrel
Driver

Originally Posted by INTIMAZY
I literally cringe everytime someone still spews the words "motor needs backpressure."

I'm gonna leave this here.

http://www.gomog.com/allmorgan/exhaustbackpressure.html

Dual 2.25" piping will choke off a 4.0L motor in the top end. It's cutting it too close as far as CFM requirements go (assuming ~400cfm flow on a 4L motor spinning 6500rpm at VE of 85%). Dual 2.5" is just fine.

And yes, the minimum diameter of your exhaust is the bottleneck that limits CFM. However, transitions screw with velocity and are not a good idea unless you make them go larger the further back you go.
OK, so based on this article, I'd say my exhaust is just fine, until I build some headers. It starts out through high flow cats goes into 2.25" piping, transitions to 2.5" to an x-pipe and through straight through mufflers. It doesn't sound like I need to change anything.
Old 05-16-12, 08:35 AM
CANDYAPPLE
Driver

Originally Posted by ajmccarrel
OK, so based on this article, I'd say my exhaust is just fine, until I build some headers. It starts out through high flow cats goes into 2.25" piping, transitions to 2.5" to an x-pipe and through straight through mufflers. It doesn't sound like I need to change anything.
piping all depends on your set up, the most important thing is restriction, not reall 2.25 vs 2.5 very little difference unless your boosted. i have a 450whp 3.0 liter motor with 2.5 in piping, vs my 2.25 stock piping and it did fine. people kept telling m3 you need 3.0 cause it will run better but my car ran just fine with 2.5 in. i ran a car with the exact same mods as me except he had 3 in piping, i ran a 12.0 @ 121mph and he ran 13.2 @ 109mph. at higher speeds his car seem to run a little better than mine, but in the money making 1/4 runs i killed him,lol. rkyat a member on here knows me very well. im about to do the same to my awd is.
Old 05-18-12, 11:24 AM
ajmccarrel
Driver

Not sure what happened, but I can smoke tires on demand now.