Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Why can't I spin the tires off the line

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-12, 10:25 PM
ajmccarrel
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why can't I spin the tires off the line

I have a 95 SC400 with a BFI, headerback exhaust system with 2.5 inch piping, high flow bullet style cats, x-pipe, magnaflow 14829 mufflers, and a Lextreme TC unit. I've cut the clutch speed sensor wire. I CANNOT make the tires spin off the line. Any reason why?
Old 05-14-12, 10:30 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

is your tc on?
Old 05-14-12, 10:31 PM
ajmccarrel
Driver

Originally Posted by 2jznosht
is your tc on?
LOL! I certainly hope so with all the money I spent having the tranny rebuilt and the TC installed.

I'm wondering if there's something I need to do that I'm not. I'm just pushing down on the brakes, pushing the gas down until I barely start to move, back off a little and let her rip. I'm not sure what else I could do.
Old 05-14-12, 10:35 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

I meant turn off the tc...also could be less low end tq from the exhaust
Old 05-14-12, 10:37 PM
ajmccarrel
Driver

I meant turn off the tc...also could be less low end tq from the exhaust
How do you turn it off? I'm not sure I understand. And when people say "a TC upgrade will make it so you can squeal tires off the line" are they talking about a one wheel burnout, or maybe it'll chirp once if I'm lucky?

Anything I can do to get the low-end torque back without totally dismantling all the pipe? What it I replace some of the pipe before the mufflers with 2.25 to build back pressure back up again?
Old 05-14-12, 10:38 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ajmccarrel
How do you turn it off? I'm not sure I understand. And when people say "a TC upgrade will make it so you can squeal tires off the line" are they talking about a one wheel burnout, or maybe it'll chirp once if I'm lucky?
Traction control system.

What size tires do you have? Mine would light up the stock 225s easily but these aren't really muscle cars. With my 265s it strains to spin them at a dry stop.

With 2.5" piping, these motors don't create enough back pressure down low. You should have noticed a loss of low-end power and bogging down when you went with such a large exhaust. 2 1/4" piping will help even it out.

Also, I stopped doing burn outs because tires, gas, and strained drivetrain components are expensive when your parents don't pay for them anymore.

Last edited by MongooseGA; 05-14-12 at 10:42 PM.
Old 05-14-12, 10:42 PM
ajmccarrel
Driver

Originally Posted by MongooseGA
Traction control system.

What size tires do you have? Mine would light up the stock 225s easily but these aren't really muscle cars. With my 265s it strains to spin them at a dry stop.

Also, I stopped doing burn outs because tires, gas, and strained drivetrain components are expensive when your parents don't pay for them anymore.
I don't think I have traction control, just the power mode button. Is it possible I have it with no button for it?

I'm just using the stock 225s, Kelly Chargers.

What makes this problem worse is that my wife's stock GS300 can take me half the time from a dead stop, which is annoying. It seems like I should be a lot faster than her.

I don't want to do burnouts all the time, I just want to know that I can do one.....
Old 05-14-12, 10:44 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

I don't think I have traction control, just the power mode button. I'm just using the stock 225s, Kelly Chargers.

What makes this problem worse is that my wife's stock GS300 can take me half the time from a dead stop, which is annoying. It seems like I should be a lot faster than her.

I don't want to do burnouts all the time, I just want to know that I can do one.....
These transmissions suck. They rob you of power being put to the ground. Guys with the 5-speed swaps were putting down an additional 40 HP at the wheels.
Old 05-14-12, 10:46 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

your sc didnt come with traction control? Thought they all did. Well I am sticking with less low end tq from the exhaust
Old 05-14-12, 10:46 PM
ajmccarrel
Driver

These transmissions suck. They rob you of power being put to the ground. Guys with the 5-speed swaps were putting down an additional 40 HP at the wheels.
That's what is the most confusing to me. Some of these guys on other sites like Jibbby, KCwhatever..., and others are posting that the TC upgrades is making it so they can do burnouts with the stock tranny. I can't even come close. I'm not sure if they're exaggerating their gains or if I'm doing something wrong, or if something is seriously wrong with my car.
Old 05-14-12, 10:47 PM
ajmccarrel
Driver

your sc didnt come with traction control? Thought they all did. Well I am sticking with less low end tq from the exhaust
Where would the TC switch be if I had it? How would I turn TC off? Also, can I just put some 2.25 piping at the end by the mufflers to cancel out the rest of the 2.5 piping?

Last edited by ajmccarrel; 05-14-12 at 10:52 PM.
Old 05-14-12, 10:56 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

That's what is the most confusing to me. Some of these guys on other sites like Jibbby, KCwhatever..., and others are posting that the TC upgrades is making it so they can do burnouts with the stock tranny. I can't even come close. I'm not sure if they're exaggerating their gains or if I'm doing something wrong, or if something is seriously wrong with my car.
Jibby was full of it, KC has much, much more done to his SC400 than breathing mods.

Like, much more.

Your traction control button is on the shifter console above the *****.
Old 05-14-12, 11:01 PM
ajmccarrel
Driver

Jibby was full of it, KC has much, much more done to his SC400 than breathing mods.

Like, much more.

Your traction control button is on the shifter console above the *****.
Nope, don't have a switch there. I have an empty one inch rectangular hole there instead. I also checked the fuze boxes after reading more about it and I have space for four fuzes, but only two are there.

Is it possible I had it and a previous owner tried to disable it and in the process got it stuck on somehow?

How about adding a Unichip? Is it true those improve off the line performance, or is that another hoax?
Old 05-14-12, 11:06 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Nope, don't have a switch there. I have an empty one inch rectangular hole there instead. I also checked the fuze boxes after reading more about it and I have space for four fuzes, but only two are there.

Is it possible I had it and a previous owner tried to disable it and in the process got it stuck on somehow?

How about adding a Unichip? Is it true those improve off the line performance, or is that another hoax?
You should definitely have a TCS. Check under the hood. Looking straight on at the engine bay, the TCS bits are in the upper left hand corner (read: passenger side, nearer the firewall) right on top of the plenum.

I have no idea what a unichip is. That might tell you how effective they are. The 1UZ has some serious enthusiasts. If something existed like a tried and true chip for our engines, we'd all know about it.
Old 05-14-12, 11:09 PM
ajmccarrel
Driver

You should definitely have a TCS. Check under the hood. Looking straight on at the engine bay, the TCS bits are in the upper left hand corner (read: passenger side, nearer the firewall) right on top of the plenum.

I have no idea what a unichip is. That might tell you how effective they are. The 1UZ has some serious enthusiasts. If something existed like a tried and true chip for our engines, we'd all know about it.
OK, I'll take a look. I'm sorry to try your patience, is there some writing or labelling I'm looking for?

Quick Reply: Why can't I spin the tires off the line