Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

2jzge sputters???

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-12, 04:24 PM
bullfrogg0
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2jzge sputters???

ok, here's the deal. whenever the car is cold it idles fine, will cruise fine and WOT is a blast. Once it warms up the idle and WOT is still fine, the only thing that changes is the cruise/off idle rpm. As soon as it warms up it starts to sputter under light throttle or anything above idle. When it sputters it goes hella lean (like 16+).

Things i've checked:

vacuum is good
timing is right
dizzy is good, cap and rotor are good
maf is good
ecu has been swapped and same problem
coil is good, new plugs
injectors ohm out no more than 14.5 when hot (will be swapping to a set of injectors that ohm out to 14.1-14.2 when cold tomorrow)
stock o2 sensors are fine
has an safc but i took the safc out of the loop and still has the issue

the only thing i haven't checked/changed is the TPS. this only happens when the ecu comes off warm up and the afr levels out to 14.5-15.3. this started the other day when on my way to work in the morning.

Car is all stock usdm 2jzge with no y pipe cat and a straight exhaust

youtube video:

http://youtu.be/zA1anQDyAng

car just mysteriously started running fine. the other day on my way to work my safc just slowly showed the throttle position count down to zero while driving at a steady speed, so today i swapped out the tps.

well, car runs like crap again. this time it's random and its only at any throttle above 30%, but this is only when it decides to act up.

i changed out the tps and set it and the issue is still there, i'm at the point that i have no idea whats going on or why...need help

sounds like a misfire
Old 05-06-12, 07:39 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

What's your charging voltage? How do you know your o2 sensors are good? How you know your MAF is good? I would replace the ignition wires first and go from there.
Old 05-07-12, 04:15 PM
bullfrogg0
Driver School Candidate

Did I also mention its intermittent and I can't predict when it happens?
Old 05-07-12, 04:18 PM
bullfrogg0
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
What's your charging voltage? How do you know your o2 sensors are good? How you know your MAF is good? I would replace the ignition wires first and go from there.
Charging voltage is 14.5-15. O2 sensors I know are good because when plugged in the car goes into closed loop and runs afr's like its suppose to and locks into open loop when unplugged. Maf was swapped out with a known good one with no change and plug wires are barely 5 months old have less than 10k miles on them
Old 05-07-12, 05:07 PM
sj408
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a very similar problem and couldnt figure it out for the longest, replaced about everything and then hooked up a datalogger and seen my brand new oem toyota tps was faulty, replaced with a new one and the hiccups/ stuttering on throttle went away. dont know if it helps but maybe you should find a friend with a datalogger to see if everything is firing right.

my car would drive great, until i shut it off and if i didnt let it cool down all the way like if i just shut it off for 5 minutes and started it the car would stutter at any kind of light throttle. I literally drove the car 800 miles without turning it off at gas stations and it didnt stutter, but soon as i turned it on and off it would start. the datalogger saved my sc

Last edited by sj408; 05-07-12 at 05:11 PM.