Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

The Ultimate Daily Driver, Build Thread.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-12, 04:24 PM
queenskid9
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Ultimate Daily Driver, Build Thread.

Hey guys, My name is Ron, 23, Ive been lurking on this forum for a lil while now and been going back between Supramania, Supraforums, Clubna-t and Club Lexus but never did a build thread on Club Lexus. I had a few Supras and a few Sc's that I built as well but this will be my last build So i decide to go out in style.

I pick up a white 93 Sc300 shell that was painted Frost White. The shell is not clean what so ever and not even a complete shell, missing brakes hood etc etc etc. I have some parts lying around from old projects and customer car that I built for other people lying around my garage so all of these goodies will make its home too this one.

I'm not building this car to be the fastest, most powerful, cleanest, best handling car on the planet.
I have basic goals that I wish to achieve and plan on attack that I think will overall just end up being a great fun to drive car.

My goals are:
500 - 600rwhp high boost.
Broadest power band possible.
Reliability
Some creature comforts.
A few aesthetics
Decent Suspesnion.

Here are some pics of what I have to work with. I actually ending up getting the shell for free in return of doing some work on another friends sc300 ( changing his clutch, All four brakes and rotors and other minor things)

I like the challenge of this project.
I like being able to show customers and just friends and family what I originally started out with and what the car ends up being as well as the process along the way.

First part of the build is to redo the weatherstripping. Fix the water leaks into the interior and clean, up this interior.
I will be pulling the carpet out tomorrow cleaning, shampooing and dying it black. Interior will end up being a black and beige two tone theme.

I have a single turbo 1jz,5spd setup that will be going into the sc.
Currently its a 57mm turbo with a .69a/r backhousing, 550cc us injectors, Fidanza aluminum flywheel, Supra r154 with the shifter bent to fit. map ecu 1. 3" intercooler piping and a decent size 3" intercooler. The engine and drivetrain came from my old Sc I had prior to an accident.. I will be changing my turbo setup soon.

Last edited by queenskid9; 04-01-12 at 04:28 PM.
Old 04-01-12, 04:25 PM
queenskid9
Rookie

I have some other interior ideas that i hope to accomplish, Play around with led bulbs for lighting, newer style steering wheel, audio, etc etc. I still want to maintain or even further upgrade the luxury of the SC

Last edited by queenskid9; 04-01-12 at 04:30 PM.
Old 04-01-12, 04:49 PM
Nova
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have some left over tan parts if u need them hit me up
Old 04-01-12, 04:51 PM
queenskid9
Rookie

Originally Posted by Nova
i have some left over tan parts if u need them hit me up
Thanks If I need anything I wont hesitate to ask. I have a few parts from a few cars that I parted out tho.
Old 04-01-12, 05:07 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Now these are the threads i like to check often. Good luck on your build. Check out mine in my signature.
Old 04-01-12, 05:49 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That's pretty beat up inside!

Wish ya the best, really hope you make it into the ultimate daily driver (dare I say, ultimate driving machine?? )

As you already said, your 500-600 goal will be difficult to do with that small turbo.
What turbos are you looking for? GTX35, 60-1, S362 would get you into that range nicely with quick spool.
Old 04-02-12, 06:22 PM
queenskid9
Rookie

Originally Posted by 1992Lexus
Now these are the threads i like to check often. Good luck on your build. Check out mine in my signature.
Thanks bro, I will do
Old 04-02-12, 06:33 PM
queenskid9
Rookie

Originally Posted by INTIMAZY
That's pretty beat up inside!

Wish ya the best, really hope you make it into the ultimate daily driver (dare I say, ultimate driving machine?? )

As you already said, your 500-600 goal will be difficult to do with that small turbo.
What turbos are you looking for? GTX35, 60-1, S362 would get you into that range nicely with quick spool.
I was looking for 61-67mm turbo.
I do not wish to run more than 25lbs to keep things from breaking.
Also going to upgrade to a top feed setup with 650-680cc injectors.
For right now i just want to get everything in the car and running first.

What turbo's have your been looking at?
I also was considering Holset hx40.
I installed a HX52 on a customer car, stock 1j engine with supporting mods, 20lbs dynoed 564rwhp but its just a tad bit laggy for me, 70mm turbo.
Old 04-08-12, 04:28 PM
queenskid9
Rookie

Some updates. Started to dye the interior pieces place after cleaning everything. First is an example of two different type of black dye that I'm using. Im preffering the flat black over the glossy since it looks more factory original.
What do you guys prefer?

Also started laying down some paint in the engine bay to bring it back to all white. But I'm thinking white may be too hard to keep clean, and switch it to black idk lol.

Compared to the black before

Interior Coming together. Have to touch up and redo some things. Door panels are next and then to get the seats rewrapped.

Old 04-08-12, 04:30 PM
queenskid9
Rookie

Also took off the 1j oil pan and found some metal shavings in it, Could be from the bearings, Going to Pull off and inspect them tomorrow. If there are, then I'll be swapping in the 2jzge block sooner than I thought.
Old 04-08-12, 05:24 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Hate to hear that about the shavings.
Old 04-08-12, 06:10 PM
queenskid9
Rookie

Originally Posted by 1992Lexus
Hate to hear that about the shavings.
It is wat it is. Ill be tearing the engine down tomorrow after I finish some side jobs in the morning
Old 04-09-12, 05:57 PM
queenskid9
Rookie

Ok i have a decision to make. Time is off the essence right now since my project is stopping me from generating income to work on and finish other ppl cars. I can either send my crank out to my machinist and change the bearings on the 1j bottom end and be done or swap in a 2jzge block that i have in the garage from a car I worked on. The block is in good condition, compression check out perfect before I pulled it apart. Im going to leave it untouched and swap it in as-is 2jzge with a tt hg. and the necessary 1.5jz 2jz pieces that I need for right now.

In the end I would like to do a stock rebuild on the block and swap in a set of stock 2jzgte tt pistons so I can run the high boost and still be 3 liters.

However I think I may like the benefits of the higher compression 2jzge pistons.

What do you guys recommend as a safe boost level?

Setup will be 57mm turbo
stock 1jz head
stock 2jzge block
2jzgte headgasket and arp studs.
550cc injectors
map ecu
the other necessary supporting upgrades.

Im thinking 15lbs on pump is safe?
Old 04-15-12, 07:50 PM
queenskid9
Rookie

More Pics Stripping the engine bay down even further to repaint the bay do some touchups and add a coat of clear to it. White is really hard to keep clean so hopefully the clear coat will help.

Strip down pass the cowl

Paint scheme for the valve covers

2jzge block all cleaned up with the upper oil pan back on.

Making some progress. Try to work on it here and there when I'm not working on other people cars
Old 04-16-12, 09:01 AM
cartmill
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

looking good!

Quick Reply: The Ultimate Daily Driver, Build Thread.