Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

MAP-ECU vs. SAFC

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-12, 09:06 AM
g-magoo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MAP-ECU vs. SAFC

So I’m coming close to getting my single set up (HX35) on my 1J. One thing I find myself constantly thinking about is fuel management. I’ve searched high and low but mainly end up with dead ends or the same regurgitated info. I’m only going to run on wastegate spring (9-10psi) for the time being until I iron all the bugs out. The absolute most power I’m shooting for, taking into consideration I still have the factory W58, would be the 375-380whp range… at least until I replace the drivetrain with something stronger. I have 440’s that I will be using, along with an AEM wideband.

Now, I have a MAP-ECU1 that I got for a steal but as of recently I’ve been considering making the switch to a SAFC instead. There hasn’t been any real info comparing these two specifically. Both have pros and cons, both even share some but I wanted to see if anyone with real experience could possibly help with some insight.

MAP-ECU:

Pros: Amount of mapping points (in comparison to SAFC), ability to bypass the stock O2 sensor and use wideband sensor only (factory ecu will never interfere with your tune), bypass fuel cut relatively easily (adjust map voltage), closest thing to a standalone for me without breaking the bank.

Cons: Requires a bit more work/tuning to get it daily drivable (due to the amount of mapping points; But I have a feeling that downloading a base map and just tweaking it would eliminate that issue), mounting options are more sparse compared to the SAFC, must have a laptop in your car to adjust settings.

SAFC:

Pros: Easy to set-up and use, make adjustments relatively quick, can place damn near anywhere in the car. Will do the job, for the most part.

Cons: Lower amount of mapping points, Cannot bypass fuel cut (need to buy a separate FCD), less adjustability, seems that the ignition advance issue seems to be a bigger issue with the SAFC over the MAP-ECU (not saying it is, just seems more are concerned that use the SAFC).

Now keep in mind both pros/cons are based off of info that I’ve gathered. I could be completely wrong and I encourage anyone to educate me. Thank you in advance and sorry for the book-like question.
Old 02-06-12, 09:33 AM
lookEVO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive run an SAFC since i boosted my car and it works fine to me. I get great drivability and good fuel mileage. take it for what its worth but I daily drive my car 50+ miles a day.
Old 02-06-12, 10:55 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Map ecu all the way, dont waste your time on the safc if you already have the mapEcu...Map Ecu is the closest thing you can get w/o spending standalone money and have a great setup.

gl
Old 02-06-12, 11:46 AM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For that power goal? SAFC is stupidly simple. Yes, MAP-ECU is superior in just about every way but it can't match how quickly SAFC can be adjusted.
If you already have MAP-ECU, why downgrade.
Old 02-06-12, 12:33 PM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

Another vote for MAP-ECU
Old 02-06-12, 04:12 PM
spoolxexo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

In this case they both work fine because the JDM 1JZ Uses a MAP signal.

When you are actually reading the pressure and density or the air, and not guessing the "Straightness" or whatever the AFC can be used to make precise enough adjustments for a mild street car.

MAP ECU is great for cars with Cams, and big turbos, because you can get even more precise.

If it was a NA-T I'd say MAP ECU no question, but in this case either will work fine.
Old 02-06-12, 06:32 PM
megamax
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Iam in the exact same boat with the o.p. I plan on getting a map ecu because I have a nistune for my). I tuned that for myself and wow. Piggy backs just don't compare. I've had sacf before and I like the stand alone-likeness of these almost stand alone items. Now a map ecu replaces the stock ecu unit right?
Old 02-06-12, 06:57 PM
TTslug
Rookie

i would vote for a map-ecu if you want a more tuned set up for the most power you can get out of it. between the 2. a safc is a good piggy set up for a easy tune for a basic set-up not looking to make the most out of the set-up

Last edited by TTslug; 02-07-12 at 08:14 PM. Reason: no longer have a map ecu to sell, so it was taken away from the post.
Old 02-07-12, 07:04 PM
SEXC
Pole Position

I vote for more power (map ecu).