Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

How many miles on your 2JZ-GE

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-12, 08:07 PM
Kutzo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many miles on your 2JZ-GE

I am planning on getting an SC300 in the next couple months to build. I was planning on a GTE swap, but I am more leaning towards just turboing the GE. Question is, what would you guys say is the "limit" of mileage before it would be a waste to boost the stock engine. As you all know they are old cars. Just did a search on Cars.com and only got a couple with under 100k miles, but they also cost more than I was planning on spending. Any advice is appreciated.
Old 01-03-12, 08:28 PM
Nova
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there are a few members on here with over 300k and boosted

think before you buy this isnt like building a honda or 240 and it will get expensive with either route u choose. unless u got with crap parts in which u will be doing it 2 or 3 times and spending the same amount of money if not more
Old 01-03-12, 11:52 PM
DeclanO
Driver School Candidate

My old *****ty 2j had 225k and I boosted it at that mileage. Drove it a few times and it stopped starting. When you start complicating the engine processes of an already aged motor on a stock tune (which you will probably do) you begin to run into a myriad of problems. For me, it was the electrical system, ****ty starter, poorly made turbo that wouldnt spin at all at idle, and other messed up problems including fluctuations in the oil pressure with the addition of a turbo (even with a restrictor). I would recommend a 1jz, I did the basic swap, re-using my w58 and all stock mounts, extending the wiring harness, etc, and I can honestly say it was time consuming as all hell, but definitely do-able. The wiring harness, while daunting at first (I had never done anything like this), really just comes down to meticulous effort, not a supernatural or un-attainable amount of electrical system knowledge. I really hope this helps you.
Cliffnotes version:
You begin to hit problems you don't want to hit when you cut corners with a tight budget on a 2j with over 200k.
1jz swap is not that hard, and plus you learn a TON (very valuable, just ups your confidence with repairs 100 fold). Plus you get a kamikaze-high-revving 2.5L jap muscle engine with a confoundingly sexy sound! This is cue for the panties to begin hitting the floor.
If you have any questions, problems, concerns, etc PM me directly I am MORE than happy to help.
I am one of the people you WILL want to talk to. I go to the ends of the earth (internet) to help people find their answers, because I KNOW how much it blows to be lost, confused, and solo!
Happy boosting.
-Declan
Old 01-04-12, 08:16 AM
SC300_704
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

check out my signature.
Old 01-04-12, 01:17 PM
Kutzo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DeclanO
My old *****ty 2j had 225k and I boosted it at that mileage. Drove it a few times and it stopped starting. When you start complicating the engine processes of an already aged motor on a stock tune (which you will probably do) you begin to run into a myriad of problems. For me, it was the electrical system, ****ty starter, poorly made turbo that wouldnt spin at all at idle, and other messed up problems including fluctuations in the oil pressure with the addition of a turbo (even with a restrictor). I would recommend a 1jz, I did the basic swap, re-using my w58 and all stock mounts, extending the wiring harness, etc, and I can honestly say it was time consuming as all hell, but definitely do-able. The wiring harness, while daunting at first (I had never done anything like this), really just comes down to meticulous effort, not a supernatural or un-attainable amount of electrical system knowledge. I really hope this helps you.
Cliffnotes version:
You begin to hit problems you don't want to hit when you cut corners with a tight budget on a 2j with over 200k.
1jz swap is not that hard, and plus you learn a TON (very valuable, just ups your confidence with repairs 100 fold). Plus you get a kamikaze-high-revving 2.5L jap muscle engine with a confoundingly sexy sound! This is cue for the panties to begin hitting the floor.
If you have any questions, problems, concerns, etc PM me directly I am MORE than happy to help.
I am one of the people you WILL want to talk to. I go to the ends of the earth (internet) to help people find their answers, because I KNOW how much it blows to be lost, confused, and solo!
Happy boosting.
-Declan
Thanks man. I would definitely not skimp out. Sound Performance seems to be pretty popular on here and they are less than an hour away from me and I plan on having them do the build. Gotta pay to play they say.

Originally Posted by SC300_704
check out my signature.
Great news. thanks
Old 01-04-12, 06:39 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

engine condition is more important than mileage. If its in good condition there is no reason not to slap a turbo on it
Old 01-05-12, 06:54 PM
Blk96sc3
Driver School Candidate

my 96 sc300 had 265k miles....ran like a champ....til I wrecked it.