Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Map ecu 3

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-11, 04:27 PM
DeezNuts
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Map ecu 3

hey guys,

I did some searching around these parts mostly regarding the mapecu2 and had little luck finding the info that I needed in regards to my build.

Little back story- I recently purchased a 95 Sc300 NA-T. I have a check engine light on for what is a suspected 02 sensor. The car is running extremely rich. With that being said I need to get the car tuned asap.

I've modded a few cars before including a VR4. In the 3s scene everyone swears by dataloggers, but it doesn't appear that people use them here. I'm thinking of going the MAP route because from what I understand is it logs as well as is capable of reading the codes off the vehicle.

Getting the diagnostic readings is extremely important to me as I'm finding it difficult to find a shop that will look at my vehicle, or that can scan my obd1ecu. Is it correct that the MAP ecu's can read the diagnostics?

What are your thoughts on going with the Map ecu's? I'm not sure where the cheapest location is to purchase one, but the map 3 is close to $700. Any insight is helpful, I'm open to all suggestions.
Old 04-22-11, 04:47 PM
SC300_704
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Map Ecu 3? you must be talking about the Map Ecu 2, if so i'm running one and never heard of it being able to get diagnostic readings but i might be wrong. have you tried http://www.performancemotorresearch....isplay.php?f=5 it's the Map Ecu Forum? if you wanna get the diagnostic reading on the obd1 ecu just connect a pin or wire on Te1 and e1 irrc on your diagnostic port and the CEL should start blinking to tell you what might be the reason why it's throwing a CEL...
Old 04-22-11, 05:24 PM
DeezNuts
Rookie

Hey thanks for the reply. I think they recently updated to ecu3- this is right off their site....

MAP-ECU3

Part Number Description Price (US$)
MAP-ECU3-KIT MAP-ECU3, 16-Way 1M Base Harness, 18Way 1M Timing Harness, 2M IAT Harness, Inlet Air Temp Sensor (IAT), 2M USB Cable, MAP-CAL3 CDROM. $695.00

How do you like it? Any complaints? If you were to do it again would you go with the map2?
Old 04-22-11, 05:32 PM
SC300_704
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my bad, i'm way behind on this Map Ecu 3 lol...as for my Map Ecu 2, for the money i like it, no complaints since my car runs fine. but if i were to do it again i'd go w/ a standalone EMS like AEM, etc.
Old 04-22-11, 11:53 PM
sayayin
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have map ecu 2 with my 1jz and no complains, also I was reading and looks like the map ecu 3, will just plug in to a existent 16 way connector, I probably read reviews before buying the new one.
Old 04-23-11, 07:13 AM
spoolxexo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

A fuel controller is a fuel controller is a fuel controller.

Unless its a standalone with it's own harness, this is just like every other piggy back out there.

More specifically, it's just like AEM's F.I.C.

It's a glorified SAFC that can adjust AFR automatic and does a speed density conversion.

I would do the AEM FIC for cost sake.
Old 04-23-11, 08:31 AM
DeezNuts
Rookie

Originally Posted by spoolxexo
A fuel controller is a fuel controller is a fuel controller.

Unless its a standalone with it's own harness, this is just like every other piggy back out there.

More specifically, it's just like AEM's F.I.C.

It's a glorified SAFC that can adjust AFR automatic and does a speed density conversion.

I would do the AEM FIC for cost sake.
Theres not a whole lot of info on the AEM FIC from what I'm seeing. One case that I did read on was that the FIC has a hard time adjusting initially to a modified vehicle, especially one that has our style MAF. I'm looking for something that's rather simple to use, I'd go with the SAFC if I knew I wasn't going to max it out in the future.

The map 3 is quite expensive, I found a good deal on a Emanage Ultimate, toying with the thought of it. Would like to save as much cash as possible, but tuning the vehicle is the number one priority.
Old 04-23-11, 11:30 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Can you post more info about your setup?

Do not USE an SAFC on the stock ge na ECU, it's a waste of time don't do it.
The only time i would recommend using the SAFC on a setup is when you are on gte ECU and you trying to tune your car get a little more out of you setup.

Map ECU work great alot na-t guys use it and don't have nothing but good thing to say about it, You are on the right direction don't waste your time and money on SAFC please.

"SC 704" that posted above has the Version 2 and is making great power with it, i mean worst case just wire an Aristo ECU to you car and be done with it. depending on your setup.
GL and please report back .
Old 04-23-11, 02:25 PM
shonuff53
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Im on the mapecu2 as well with my 1jz setup and it works good for the most part. I wish it could do more but it def gets the job done.

It does datalog if thats what you are wondering

I have my factory O2 completely removed with no check engine light, Im not sure if the 2js are different but if you do start tunning it make sure you completely unplug the O2 cause the stock ecu will change up on you and throw off your tune with any piggyback. I can't confirm if it does the same on obd2 versions but it is this way for obd1 I remember helping an NA-T guy with tuning problems all he had to do was remove stock o2 reset ecu drive around a bit then re-tune with piggyback and problems gone.

Get that check engine light figured out before you do anything else.
Old 04-23-11, 03:45 PM
DeezNuts
Rookie

thanks guys, this has been very helpful. So I'm pretty confident I'm going to go with atleast a map 2. Does anybody know any places that sell the 2's for a decent price? I'm not seeing anymore map2's for sale of their site it's appearing to only be the original map and their new map3.

I will definately get that check engine light figured out this week. I think I found a shop thats willing to work on it. It's called Kaizen Tuning out in Acton, Ma. They work on Ferrari's, Lambo's, and Tuners alike.
Old 10-17-11, 03:22 PM
bryan767
Lexus Test Driver

i suggest getting the mapecu3.. the 2 only uses serial port connection and most computers these days dont have it. youll need a pci card to serial to use it.

i used to have mapecu2 and on my tune it made 450whp on a mustang dyno. thats with 550cc supra injectors, walbro255lph, 60-1 turbo, 44mm wastegate on 14psi in a 1jzgte r154