Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

JDM Supra VVTi Engine / v161 / Differential Dropout Complete

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-11, 08:31 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has no one noticed that his is an auction?

Guys, everybody is all talking like the price IS $6800. This thing could get bid up beyond that very easily. It will be interesting to see what it ends up going for.
Old 02-10-11, 10:42 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by good2go
Has no one noticed that his is an auction?

Guys, everybody is all talking like the price IS $6800. This thing could get bid up beyond that very easily. It will be interesting to see what it ends up going for.
hmmm is this how everyone ussually buys swapped engines? online? How reliable is it?

Imagine this auction goes up to 8 grand or more and it arrives and the engine doesnt turn over or it turns over but runs crappy, I dont know man there is no way you would catch me throwing 6-7-8 grand into a risky venture like this im sorry.;
Old 02-10-11, 11:18 AM
t70 supra
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would buy with a c.c. to avoid the scam as far as buying engines online i bought mine came out clean was sent a video of it running just ask for pics of what u would like to see
Old 02-10-11, 11:38 AM
lfrers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You can always send them a message thru Ebay and find out what company they are, see their website and go from there. Research.

I just bought a Getrag V160 on ebay just a few weeks ago. With Ebay you need to think, do a little research, and never buy anything from a low feedback seller. I have never been burned on Ebay so I imagine most of those people who have been burned are suckers. Like "Buy this chip for your SC and get 50 WHP more!" Ahahahahaaa Suckers! Ive done a few hundred transactions on ebay and i'm not saying "You cant get burned" But if your careful you shouldn't. I got burned by a CL member on CL selling wheels! So you can get burned anywhere.

Also Keep in mind yea this is an auction but no one has any money! I would be surprised if it sold for more.

Old 02-10-11, 11:48 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lfrers
You can always send them a message thru Ebay and find out what company they are, see their website and go from there. Research.

I just bought a Getrag V160 on ebay just a few weeks ago. With Ebay you need to think, do a little research, and never buy anything from a low feedback seller. I have never been burned on Ebay so I imagine most of those people who have been burned are suckers. Like "Buy this chip for your SC and get 50 WHP more!" Ahahahahaaa Suckers! Ive done a few hundred transactions on ebay and i'm not saying "You cant get burned" But if your careful you shouldn't. I got burned by a CL member on CL selling wheels! So you can get burned anywhere.

Also Keep in mind yea this is an auction but no one has any money! I would be surprised if it sold for more.

interesting

if you dont mind me asking how did u get burned for wheels here?

did he send you the wrong wheels or did he just not send you the wheels at all?
Old 02-10-11, 09:32 PM
lfrers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I PM'd you. Not going to post his CL name. But I did leave him a negative feedback. So before you buy any wheels, lips or other parts check the members trader score. But this guy was on here selling lips too around the same time.
Old 02-11-11, 07:26 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lfrers
I PM'd you. Not going to post his CL name. But I did leave him a negative feedback. So before you buy any wheels, lips or other parts check the members trader score. But this guy was on here selling lips too around the same time.
Yes I got your pm and im sorry to hear that.

The sense of community here is sort of lacking and it doesnt surprise me to be perfectly honest.
Old 02-27-11, 10:43 AM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've got some questions guys:

So I didn't end up buying any swap because I want to ensure it's EXACTLY what I want to do.

It seems as if we have 4 engine swap options:
usdm supra 2jzgte - $1800-2000 used
Aristo 2jzgte - Roughly $1800-$2000 used
JDM Supra 2jzgte VVTI - around $2100-2300 used
Aristo 2jzgte VVTI - about $2100-2300 used

My car is obd 1, a 1994 and 5speed.

Which route would you go and why for a swap?
Which would be easier?
Is the non - VVTi better in terms of aftermarket parts?
Does VVTi limit you more in cam choices?
Would the aristo or jdm supra vvti cause issues when going to an ems later on?
Any issues when using luxuries like A/C, Tach, etc electrical issues?
Is a direct throttle cable better? Should DBW be eliminated?
Is my stock oil pan and sump required?

I feel confident I can complete the swap. Getting the motor installed isn't my worry though, it's tackling the electronics, ecu, wiring, and maf is what worries me.
Old 02-27-11, 05:29 PM
Klaus
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You won't find a GOOD condition USDM complete GTE for $2200- more like $3500-$4000
Old 02-27-11, 06:09 PM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Klaus
You won't find a GOOD condition USDM complete GTE for $2200- more like $3500-$4000
Yeah just noticed that, looks like due to the cams? Better twins? and more power capable fuel components?

Also another member helped me with a link for alot of my questions regarding the differences in these engines:

http://www.supraforums.com.au/forum/...ion?highlight=
Old 02-27-11, 08:39 PM
Klaus
Instructor

Originally Posted by HiPSI
Yeah just noticed that, looks like due to the cams? Better twins? and more power capable fuel components?

Also another member helped me with a link for alot of my questions regarding the differences in these engines:

http://www.supraforums.com.au/forum/...ion?highlight=
More aggressive cams
550cc fuel injectors (vs 440)
Stronger twins (can support 18psi reliably vs 14psi)
Oil squirters to cool pistons
AND THE BIG ONE - USDM wiring harness. No need to extend. Factory harness is almost $1000 from toyota
Old 02-27-11, 11:35 PM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

THE JDM ENGINES HAVE OIL SQUIRTERS TOO.
USDM SUPRA WIRING HARNESS WILL NOT WORK IN A SC300.

jDM Turbo engines are a dime a dozen because of the Japanese laws and tax regulations surrounding vehicles.

Our population in the states is much greater than Japan and thus a used car market isn't devastating to the industry. Because of this our government hasn't put up the same laws to discourage older vehicle ownership.

What this means is in Japan plently of engines go to market simply for being old and cost ineffective to keep. While in the US the supply of engines is limited to crashed vehicles.

This is the real reason the USDM Turbo engine are more expensive. They simply are more rare.

In my humble opinion the USDM Turbo engine is the worst of the three.

Last edited by account2x; 02-28-11 at 12:36 AM.
Old 02-28-11, 04:35 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by account2x
In my humble opinion the USDM Turbo engine is the worst of the three.
Huh?! First time I have heard that one... The USDM gte is pretty much the best version out. As stated above, more turbo, more cam, more fuel...
Old 02-28-11, 05:28 AM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

Factory the USDM engine does have the advantages of more aggressive cam, steal turbos and larger fuel injectors but the disadvantage of being MAF based instead of MAP.
The USDM turbos go for 300 MAX and can be swapped over to the JDM engine.
The JDM injectors are good for 352hp safely and up to 440hp unsafely. Pump gas you won't get pasted 400 on either turbo safely.
The USDM injectors are also low independence & require a resistor pack while just about every aftermarket set is high independence.

Once you build up the engine all differences listed above disappear but what does remain is the EGR port. It's drilled into head and even with a block-off plate the flow is ever so slightly worse on the USDM head.

The best version out is the JDM 2JZ-GTE VVT-i. VVT-i > weaknesses of both USDM and JDM 2JZ-GTE.
Old 02-28-11, 06:03 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

The VVT-I has ceramic turbos, smaller injectors, the evil maf you just said sucks, and yet it is better than all other versions? Interesting logic...

Quick Reply: JDM Supra VVTi Engine / v161 / Differential Dropout Complete