Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

JDM Supra VVTi Engine / v161 / Differential Dropout Complete

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-11, 08:33 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Alright bro i am not gonna go back and forth with you!!!! I don't know what am talking about and you know everything peace.
Old 02-09-11, 09:05 AM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by account2x
I disgaree.

v161 goes for the exact same price as a v160, same strength, different gearing. 3-3.5k

That's the weaker late model jdm 6spd differential equivalent to usdm auto differential. It's no better than a GS400 differential + torsen lsd and torsen lsds suck.

The subframes are worthless because you don't need them.

USED control arms are not worth it IMO.

Rack and pinion is useless because it's RHD.

Driveshaft won't bolt up, needs to be extended.

The engine is missing the MAF so add an extra 330 + overnight shipping from japan.

Icing on the cake, look at the ECU harness, someone was running a boost controller.

Still need the radiator, shroud, water pump, timing belt, fuel pump, spark plugs, shift ****, intercooler list goes on ... to do the swap right. Total if you pay dr. tweek to do the harness is probably going to be close to 10k.

FYI it's only the early model TTs that didn't come with the 4/2 brakes, most of the late models did.
I know that the little stuff adds up, and I realize I was overlooking alot of things to complete the swap. I saw that the ecu had some splices in it, almost like a apexi or ebc was installed.

I know the v161 goes for more in the is300 world due to the gearing being more friendly for their stock rears.

Originally Posted by Vrank
If you have the cash and are willing to do it, go for it. Matter of fact I'll give you a grand right now for your motor/tranny in your car,
You may be getting contacted sir!

Originally Posted by quickGS300
You will need a driveshaft custum, seriously it all depend on what you want at the end of the day it's your car you will be driving it you must be happy with it.
I did a exact swap for one of the fellow members and seriously he regretted after spending about $9-10k and still not making 400Rwhp stock twins were blown maybe 2 weeks later.
Again do what you think will make you happy.

The only thing i would get is the diff and trans the rest of the parts you already have on your car lol.
You wanna spend $9K and make 600hp or $12k and make same 600hp, $7000.00 is alot of money spend it wisely
This right here is what prevents me from pulling the trigger. The reason I've started leaning towards the GTE swap side is the aftermarket availability like the new F1 manifold SP just released and cam options etc etc. The VVTi is also more efficient on fuel and torquey.

I was die hard set on going NA-T but then realized how weak my drivetrain is, I'd need the v160 / 6spd rear to hold any power. I've researched the r154 and everyone seems to say just go v160 from the get go.

I guess I could pick up the v160 / rear, boost the hell out of the ge and then consider a built block or swap later (but then I couldn't get as much back on my stock stuff), decisions decisions......
Old 02-09-11, 09:21 AM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll be honest with you. If you want to do the gte vvt-i v161 swap along with tt calipers that's actually a pretty fair price. I wouldn't say it's a "deal" but I don't think it's a ripoff either.
Old 02-09-11, 09:27 AM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

I'll be honest with you. If you want to do the gte vvt-i v161 swap along with tt calipers that's actually a pretty fair price. I wouldn't say it's a "deal" but I don't think it's a ripoff either.
I just wonder if there are any major underlying issues with the motor set that can't be seen or internally in the tranny. I know he has a warranty and this and that but that would be a huge pain in the *** and I may not even find the problem till months from now when the swap is finished.

Edit: they have a 30 day warranty :rolleyes

This is what I got back from them.

"Hi there
Yes it is, this motor and transmission all accessories are out from the same car year 1999/09 VVTI evrything is matching.
The rear diff. is the same with the transmission, since they are out from the same car.
shipping for complete package everything shown in the pictures to zip code XXXXX is 410.00$ shipping transit time is 2 days.
thank you dear."

Last edited by HiPSI; 02-09-11 at 09:31 AM.
Old 02-09-11, 09:31 AM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

30 day warrenty, that's all you get.

i'm helping my friend do a swap right now and it gets really expensive really fast for all the miscellaneous parts.

thorttlebody cable, radiator, radiator shroud, radiator hoses, intercooler, all the nuts and bolts, shift ****, boots, of course all the fluids and the maintenance items like the water pump, timing belt, pulley, tensioner, spark plugs, o2 and of course the super hard to find vvt-i maf sensor.

All in all even if you got that engine for 7k shipped, you still need another 1k worth of parts. The wiring taken care off too.
Old 02-09-11, 10:00 AM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

30 day warrenty, that's all you get.

i'm helping my friend do a swap right now and it gets really expensive really fast for all the miscellaneous parts.

thorttlebody cable, radiator, radiator shroud, radiator hoses, intercooler, all the nuts and bolts, shift ****, boots, of course all the fluids and the maintenance items like the water pump, timing belt, pulley, tensioner, spark plugs, o2 and of course the super hard to find vvt-i maf sensor.

All in all even if you got that engine for 7k shipped, you still need another 1k worth of parts. The wiring taken care off too.
The 30 day warranty concerns me, and they are in canada, it's not an easy just drop it off and be done. Plus returns have a 35% restocking fee LOL, really? you expect me to take a hit of $2,380.00? Plus the 410.00 I lost with it being shipped to my house, and 410 back? so we are at $3,200 to just try it out , and that's assuming I could actually have it running in 30 days to even see if the warranty is valid. After 30 day's I'm sure they'd tell me to get lost.

Anyways I'm ranting, maybe I should look into a local importer for the simple fact I can go look at it in person.

Thanks alot guys for the feedback!
Old 02-09-11, 10:08 AM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

From the threads I have seen with issues people almost always just get a partial refund and fix whatever is wrong themselves. A full out return never happens.

take a look at this.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=230582692846
Old 02-09-11, 10:15 AM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

From the threads I have seen with issues people almost always just get a partial refund and fix whatever is wrong themselves. A full out return never happens.

take a look at this.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=230582692846
I gotcha, yeah that makes more sense.

I saw that and isn't jdmenginedepot fairly commonly used? they have 1900 feedback and perfect 100% which is awesome.

So basically this setup would save me 1800 over the full JDM vvti supra dropout. I'd have to source my own differential later.

Considering most used v160's go for 4k, I'd get a full vvti longblock for $1k --- haha I'm struggling hard to justify this! I just need warm weather so I can get on my R1 and forget everything car related again.
Old 02-09-11, 10:22 AM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

Most actually get sold for low to mid 3k.

Honestly i think the deal you originally posted is the best bang for your buck. The jdmenginedepot engine is just more safe because they have more feedback and are in america.
Old 02-09-11, 10:32 AM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just a thought, things to budget for: fmic, piping, exh, any fab work you can't do your self, walbro minimum for fuel, random couplers, replacement turbos, replacement clutch, maintenance items, the list goes on. Not that I'm trying to talk you out of it because I REALLY want your motorset for my pizza mobile! But, excitement over this kind of stuff can lead to long periods of financial drought and vehicular downtime. My suggestion would be to buy all of the small stuff like the stuff listed above before you pull the trigger on the actual swap itself. Then if you find a deal you can't pass up or decide that na-t would be the best route for you, you'd be ready to make it happen with a lot less snags.
Old 02-09-11, 10:42 AM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

just a thought, things to budget for: fmic, piping, exh, any fab work you can't do your self, walbro minimum for fuel, random couplers, replacement turbos, replacement clutch, maintenance items, the list goes on. Not that I'm trying to talk you out of it because I REALLY want your motorset for my pizza mobile! But, excitement over this kind of stuff can lead to long periods of financial drought and vehicular downtime. My suggestion would be to buy all of the small stuff like the stuff listed above before you pull the trigger on the actual swap itself. Then if you find a deal you can't pass up or decide that na-t would be the best route for you, you'd be ready to make it happen with a lot less snags.
This is actually great advice. I may be trying to bite off way more than I can chew. Slowly working toward this goal will ensure that I can troubleshoot and process of elimination with any snags will be alot easier.

It was 2am and I was dreaming of ridiculous parts for my sc but I'm glad I asked because this might get the ball rolling for me to actually do it!

For inspiration I just watch vids like this :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ITko...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmNy-ajRV0U
Old 02-09-11, 10:55 AM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

take your time man, impulse buys end up bad 99% of the time.
Old 02-09-11, 05:40 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by HiPSI
I just wonder if there are any major underlying issues with the motor set that can't be seen or internally in the tranny. I know he has a warranty and this and that but that would be a huge pain in the *** and I may not even find the problem till months from now when the swap is finished.

Edit: they have a 30 day warranty :rolleyes

This is what I got back from them.

"Hi there
Yes it is, this motor and transmission all accessories are out from the same car year 1999/09 VVTI evrything is matching.
The rear diff. is the same with the transmission, since they are out from the same car.
shipping for complete package everything shown in the pictures to zip code XXXXX is 410.00$ shipping transit time is 2 days.
thank you dear."
I have never done an engine swap nor do i plan to---my point is I have no experiance in this area.

But the point I need to get across is that you always have to assume that there is going to be issues with a total engine and drive train swap like this.

I can guarantee that there will be some sort of unforseen issue and lets just hope it is nothing major or too serious.

These engine swaps as far as I can see are a roll of the dice everytime

Good luck either way u go i hope it works out for you.
Old 02-09-11, 05:48 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

take your time man, impulse buys end up bad 99% of the time.
sound advice sir
Old 02-09-11, 08:14 PM
lfrers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks clean tho.
IF it was me and I was set on buying it I would keep what I wanted/needed and sell the motor and stuff you cant use. Mk4 stuff sells pretty easy on SF

Quick Reply: JDM Supra VVTi Engine / v161 / Differential Dropout Complete