Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Coolant System flush and Brand questions.

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-10, 08:51 AM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Coolant System flush and Brand questions.

So there is a million and one different ways to flush the cooling system and just as many procedures listed on here. I'm getting one of my SC300's ready to be used as a DD for a few months because my other DD's are being used by other people. My truck is being used by my brother for a few months while he gets back on his feet, the caddy is being used by my fiancee and santa fe is being loaned to my sister on and off while she moves into her new house. So that leaves my SC's and a Ford explorer........so needless to say I would much rather use one of my SC's instead of the Explorer, which is why I'm getting it ready.

Starting Nov 1 I have to drive a total of 2000 miles in 2 weeks and after that I will be traveling 60 miles a day in the SC. So I want to make sure the cooling system has new fresh coolant.

I'm looking for the most effective procedure to to drain and possibly flush the system out and not get alot of air trapped. I refuse to bring my SC or Caddy to any shops because I have yet to find one around here that is good.

This is what I was going to do, please add on and or tell me if a different way to is better.

Open both drain lines (on the block and radiator) and let the coolant out that way.

I'm going to replace the thermostat just because I want to, I'm thinking about getting a 180 degree Stant OEM replace Thermostat (your thoughts on stant?). So needless to say that is yet another place for coolant to **** from lol.

I'm also going to replace the Temp Sensor, because it has never been changed to my knowledge. I'm going to be using BWD WT653Z, again any thoughts or reviews on this product?

So with all those orifices open draining fluid out. I was then going to run a few gallons of distilled water through the system. Whats the best way to do this?

To this point have not had any overheating issues......my temp gauge sits right here once the car is warm and has not gone higher......idle sits in same spot, but thats another issue..........I think:

I'm not sure if I'm going to do a 50/50 or 70/30 mixture yet........I'm in Mass and it can get rather cold here but the coldest I can remember is -25, so 50/50 SHOULD be good, again your thoughts?

SOOOOOO with all that being said, your thoughts on the best way to do this? I know this has been covered on here a few different times, but I'm looking to see if what i'm going to do is good and to see what others have to say.
Old 10-12-10, 09:13 AM
JesLet
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Go to the dealer and get red coolant and OE thermostat with o-ring/gasket.

I would drain the old coolant from the block and radiator first and fill it up with 100% distilled water. Start the car and let it idle for 10-15 minutes, let it cool and drain it again. Yes, sound like a lot of work and downtime.

The drain plug on the block is located on the passenger side, I think cylinder #5, you have to use 14mm socket.
Old 10-12-10, 09:21 AM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JesLet
Go to the dealer and get red coolant and OE thermostat with o-ring/gasket.

I would drain the old coolant from the block and radiator first and fill it up with 100% distilled water. Start the car and let it idle for 10-15 minutes, let it cool and drain it again. Yes, sound like a lot of work and downtime.

The drain plug on the block is located on the passenger side, I think cylinder #5, you have to use 14mm socket.
Thanks man

I already purchased 2 gallons of the worlds MOST expensive Toyota coolant lol.

The Thermostat is out of stock at the local dealer........it seems like just about everything I need is out of stock at the dealer lately and thats why i was going to go with stant and also I was informed by the parts person at Toyota that Stant makes the OEM thermostat...................not sure if that true or not.

So drain the old coolant from the radiator and block, then fill with water, warm up for a few minutes, then drain..........thats not bad at all.

After I drain it for the second time, then change the thermostat and temp sensor, correct? Whats the best way to burp the system once I fill it up for the last time

Wow, prices have really gone up at the dealerships lol

$27 a gallon for the coolant

$22 for the Thermostat

$10 for the gasket............wow, $10 for a little piece of rubber lol

Last edited by Sup2jzgte; 10-12-10 at 11:46 AM.
Old 10-12-10, 09:35 AM
JesLet
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Sup2jzgte
Thanks man

I already purchased 2 gallons of the worlds MOST expensive Toyota coolant lol.

The Thermostat is out of stock at the local dealer........it seems like just about everything I need is out of stock at the dealer lately and thats why i was going to go with stant and also I was informed by the parts person at Toyota that Stant makes the OEM thermostat...................not sure if that true or not.

So drain the old coolant from the radiator and block, then fill with water, warm up for a few minutes, then drain..........thats not bad at all.

After I drain it for the second time, then change the thermostat and temp sensor, correct? Whats the best way to burp the system once I fill it up for the last time

Kuzeh is the supplier of thermostat for Toyota. I'm sure Stant is a supplier as well but not sure which car manufacturer.

I don't really understand how to bleed it or let the air out. What I did was I turned the heater and fan on the highest setting and fill the radiator with coolant, I kept filling until the radiator is full. I didn't put the cap right away because I am looking for air/bubbles coming out. After a little while, I installed the cap and started the car and let it idle until normal temperature. Let it cool for a little bit and took off the cap. Engine is still warm but I put a wet rag on top of the cap, so coolant won't burst everywhere.

I used 60/40 since I live here in AZ. 50/50 should be fine for all season.
Old 10-12-10, 11:00 AM
LEX_MAN
Lexus Test Driver

Dude, do this.Drain all of the coolant.

1-Take out the old thermostat, and cut the insides of it(free flow) and put it back in.Open heater valve(zip tie)

2-Take a water hose and shove it in the radiator

3-open all the drain holes(from farther to closer)while turning water on.

4-run the water and watch the dirt come out everywhere.

5-drain water then close drain holes

6-fill with good stuff.

That's a proper one time flush.
Old 10-12-10, 11:15 AM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LEX_MAN
Dude, do this.Drain all of the coolant.

1-Take out the old thermostat, and cut the insides of it(free flow) and put it back in.Open heater valve(zip tie)

2-Take a water hose and shove it in the radiator

3-open all the drain holes(from farther to closer)while turning water on.

4-run the water and watch the dirt come out everywhere.

5-drain water then close drain holes

6-fill with good stuff.

That's a proper one time flush.
Instead of a hose can I use the distilled water...............i mean I already purchased 10 gallons of if lol
Old 10-12-10, 11:29 AM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sup2jzgte
Instead of a hose can I use the distilled water...............i mean I already purchased 10 gallons of if lol
This is the part that confuses me. I can't imagine why you'd want to pay for expensive water to flush the system. I can understand using it in the final coolant mix, but for just flushing??? that's a new one on me

plus, there's no water pressure with distilled water coming from a jug.
Old 10-12-10, 11:31 AM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by good2go
This is the part that confuses me. I can't imagine why you'd want to pay for expensive water to flush the system. I can understand using it in the final coolant mix, but for just flushing??? that's a new one on me
It only ran me $.50 a gallon so it really was not expensive. I was under the impression that if your area has hard water that it should not be used at anytime even for flushing, but I could be miss informed
Old 10-12-10, 11:54 AM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dang, that would have to be some SERIOUSLY hard water to leave enough residue after it was drained. I think if you can drink it, your engine can definitely handle it. Definitely don't use it for the final mix though!

You know If you are really worried about residue, you can do a quick flush and then fill up with 100% water and run it for a day or two and then drain it out again, do another flush, and THEN fill it with your final coolant. If the sytem hasn't been drained in years, you'll be amazed at how much goo continues to wash out of the engine; even after you think you've got it all.

Lastly, be sure and contain any coolant you drain, and wash away any spillage so pets don't get into it. My brother lost his prized Akita dog when it got into an open container of coolant he had drained and "thought" he put in a safe place.
Old 10-12-10, 11:58 AM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by good2go
Dang, that would have to be some SERIOUSLY hard water to leave enough residue after it was drained. I think if you can drink it, your engine can definitely handle it. Definitely don't use it for the final mix though!

You know If you are really worried about residue, you can do a quick flush and then fill up with 100% water and run it for a day or two and then drain it out again, do another flush, and THEN fill it with your final coolant. If the sytem hasn't been drained in years, you'll be amazed at how much goo continues to wash out of the engine; even after you think you've got it all.

Lastly, be sure and contain any coolant you drain, and wash away any spillage so pets don't get into it. My brother lost his prized Akita dog when it got into an open container of coolant he had drained and "thought" he put in a safe place.
Great info man thanks

I dont know the last time it was flushed.............im going to get never or a VERY long time ago so I would like to get it as clean as possible. How do the cleaning kits work....are they worth it?
Old 10-12-10, 04:20 PM
laxdude362
Lexus Test Driver

I had my brother's SC400 radiator flushed at Valvoline. They said Lexus( and maybe others) started using (or maybe has been) some new fluid that requires you to only change it every 100k miles. I wish I could remember the brand they used on it.
Old 10-12-10, 05:33 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by laxdude362
I had my brother's SC400 radiator flushed at Valvoline. They said Lexus( and maybe others) started using (or maybe has been) some new fluid that requires you to only change it every 100k miles. I wish I could remember the brand they used on it.
Really......that interesting. I have no idea when the last time the coolant was changed and judging by the poor maintenance records from the previous owner i wouldnt be surprised if the coolant had EVER been changed
Old 10-12-10, 07:13 PM
laxdude362
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah. My brother's car always get serviced there and so they keep track of the car's history, they do good work and are honest. If you have a valvoline close to you, you should stop by.
Old 10-13-10, 07:16 PM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

Curious.. Is there also a drain plug on the block to flush the 1UZ? I've never done it that way. I've always just run water through and drain it like 10X until its crystal clean coming out of there.