Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

OBX ITB's???

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-10, 06:13 PM
tjfrom215
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OBX ITB's???

Hey guys,
have any of you ever tried these ITBS?

http://www.obxracingsports.com/

Im thinking about buying a set, seeing how it goes.
Old 09-10-10, 06:28 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ITB's for what? ITBS are good for 3SG's, 4AG's, and a handful of other high-compression 4-cylinders that would otherwise require a built block to handle boost..I'm assuming you have an SC300, which has a 2JZ. One of the worlds most turbo-responsive engines in the world, and easy to turbocharge, so why not turbocharge it (even if you have a 1UZ) and just skip the n/a garbage.
Old 09-10-10, 06:42 PM
Klaus
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

$1200 for 1uz ITBs isn't terrible. Curious what's in the setup though
Old 09-10-10, 07:02 PM
kwg
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by turbodremz
ITB's for what? ITBS are good for 3SG's, 4AG's, and a handful of other high-compression 4-cylinders that would otherwise require a built block to handle boost..I'm assuming you have an SC300, which has a 2JZ. One of the worlds most turbo-responsive engines in the world, and easy to turbocharge, so why not turbocharge it (even if you have a 1UZ) and just skip the n/a garbage.
agreeded. n/a tuning is expensive as well and wont make nearly as much power for the price
Old 09-10-10, 07:45 PM
tjfrom215
Rookie

this would be for the 1UZ, I would like to keep it all motor, I know ITB's would allow for better cams to right? I just want to be all motor
Old 09-10-10, 08:51 PM
rcracer_tx
Driver

ITB's sound great, but your not going to have a significant difference in power to justify the price, not to mention you will need a standalone ecu with a lot of tuning and sensors for the ITB's.... Incredibly expensive with **** for power in a 3800lb car.

OBX is a less than stellar parts company as well imho
Old 09-11-10, 07:40 AM
d1trainee
Pole Position

OBX is hit or miss with their products. As for ITB's Id only do it to be different if i was rich. maybe a 4.7 block swap with say 12:1 or 13:1 compression pistons and cams with valves and head porting..... not worth it. If you must though I would go with Suzuki GSX-R 1000 ITB's. Very high quality and can be found in a junk yard relativly cheap. I know when people do use ITB's they go with these. Remember too that the Infamous RB26det comes stock with ITB's and is TT. YOu would have to make a plenum for it though. Not worth it. Get yourself a supercharger if its a 1uz. I want to see a procharged one myself

Last edited by d1trainee; 09-11-10 at 07:43 AM.
Old 09-11-10, 07:53 AM
DonS1mpson
Driver School Candidate

Too many people in here are forgetting the main benefit of ITBs - The noise!

That being said, $1,200 seems suspiciously cheap.
Old 09-11-10, 09:31 AM
Ssergio86
Rookie

Originally Posted by turbodremz
ITB's for what? ITBS are good for 3SG's, 4AG's, and a handful of other high-compression 4-cylinders that would otherwise require a built block to handle boost.(even if you have a 1UZ) and just skip the n/a garbage.

the 1UZ is a high compression engine. and the benefits of ITB's are not only the symphonic sound they produce. you will also get throttle by wire wich gives a great response, also the great tunability of the air fuel mix. ITB's are a mod that needs to come with many others such as a stand alone ECU to change from the MAF to MAP (no other sensor needs changing) and a set of big ole cams shim over bucket a set of higher compression pistons 2" runner headers better spark. and a 3,5 inch exhaust. and then u will have an awesome 1uz with around 500hp 480ftp of torque. I agree that this set up doesnt make as much power as a turbo charger set up or super charger, but they cost pretty much the same it's a matter of taste. and on a V8 N/A is the way to go. Just my opinion

oh and a 500hp N/A will spank the crap out of a turbo engine any day. no crappy turbo lag....power through all the RPM band..and there is no beating that. and N/A brake less.

i bet u haven't ever driven or built a high power N/A car. so better experice first then comment
Old 09-11-10, 09:41 AM
kwg
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ssergio86
the 1UZ is a high compression engine. and the benefits of ITB's are not only the symphonic sound they produce. you will also get throttle by wire wich gives a great response, also the great tunability of the air fuel mix. ITB's are a mod that needs to come with many others such as a stand alone ECU to change from the MAF to MAP (no other sensor needs changing) and a set of big ole cams shim over bucket a set of higher compression pistons 2" runner headers better spark. and a 3,5 inch exhaust. and then u will have an awesome 1uz with around 500hp 480ftp of torque. I agree that this set up doesnt make as much power as a turbo charger set up or super charger, but they cost pretty much the same it's a matter of taste. and on a V8 N/A is the way to go. Just my opinion

oh and a 500hp N/A will spank the crap out of a turbo engine any day. no crappy turbo lag....power through all the RPM band..and there is no beating that. and N/A brake less.

i bet u haven't ever driven or built a high power N/A car. so better experice first then comment
i want to see you extract 500hp N/A for the same amount as 500hp from a turbo. not only is it ridiculously expensive but a lot of hassle. for the ITB's you'll have to tune for every slight weather change to have it run at its full potential.
Old 09-11-10, 01:42 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ssergio86

Ok, Ill make a proposition. You SQUEEZE 500hp out of a 1UZ without spending more than $5k, and Ill finish my na-t SC300 bump to 500rwhp, and I will see you on Pinks when your ready. And when I leave with your n/a SC400, Ill be more than happy to give it the boost it deserves.

Making that much n/a power takes a HUGH investment, and I do have experience, with a 14:1 SOHC KA in a Datsun hardbody pickup. And after owning 5 s13's after, all turbo charged, Ill stick with building a turbo engine simply cause hitting the HP goals/power wanted is much cheaper and easier. The hell with throttle response, boost has been proven time and time again to be the most efficient way to make REAL rwhp gains.

Originally Posted by kwg
i want to see you extract 500hp N/A for the same amount as 500hp from a turbo. not only is it ridiculously expensive but a lot of hassle. for the ITB's you'll have to tune for every slight weather change to have it run at its full potential.

^^^
Old 09-11-10, 02:00 PM
d1trainee
Pole Position

No way you'll squeeze 500hp out of a na 4.0 v8. Na is good. But turbo...... Way more power and when done right can have a great curve. And is much cheaper. Plus in a v8 why not supercharge it? Then 500hp will be a reality not a fantasy.. Plus the band will be nice.
Old 09-11-10, 04:59 PM
TheBosSC4
Driver

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fm5k1ntJNBU

Enough said. I know turboing is a lot easier butttttttttttttttttttt, no one cannot say that it wouldnt be cool to have an all motor 1uz. Throttle response for daily driving is so much more fun then turbo lag for top end power, plus loosing traction once boost hits!
Old 09-11-10, 05:03 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I hope you guys know OBX has been "making" those for years... but they dont actually sell them...
Old 09-11-10, 05:52 PM
kwg
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TheBosSC4
Enough said. I know turboing is a lot easier butttttttttttttttttttt, no one cannot say that it wouldnt be cool to have an all motor 1uz. Throttle response for daily driving is so much more fun then turbo lag for top end power, plus loosing traction once boost hits!
1. I hope you realize a turbo is effective low/mid range, whereas N/A is top end

2. How often can you possibly be loosing traction daily driving on public roads? don't be a ra-tard.

3. improved throttle response is amazing but you wont be able to reach its full potential unless you push it pass 6k or so. again dont be a ra-tard on public roads.

on another note, if i go v8 it'd be a LSx motor. if i wanted all the goodness of N/A i'd pick up another s2000, something light and nimble. the sc300/even supra is just too heavy for n/a tuning IMO. how many competitive N/A supras are out there?

Quick Reply: OBX ITB's???