Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

OBX ITB's???

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-10, 08:56 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RedPhoenix
I hope you guys know OBX has been "making" those for years... but they dont actually sell them...
lol it's funny that no one's heard of this sooner. I heard the words OBX and ITB and i still don't believe it...

As for the NA vs. Turbo debate, sure the difference in power to money ratio are justified, but the tools and skills needed to bring out power in an NA application is something worth commending. To get it to where you can drive it everyday is a feat in itself, which is why most high hp NA applications are mostly track cars and not daily beaters. Still, i would take a good NA build over a turbo build any day.
Old 09-11-10, 09:18 PM
rcracer_tx
Driver

500whp on an n/a 4.0l 1uzfe v8 on pump gas... I'll believe that when my **** turns purple and taste like rainbow sherbet.

Ssergio86, you really should do some research before posting. You will make more power down low and up top with a smaller twin turbo setup on the 1uz than n/a garbage. The larger displacement will spool small twins incredibly quick, and you can chose the power level that works for you. N/A you can retard the timing to cut power, but you will be slow as hell with a n/a setup on a 3800lb car no matter what. With ITB's, headers, intake, exhaust, standalone ecu, torque converter, lsd, new wheels and tires, fuel system, and the labor you might be able to go low-mid 12's if you get the perfect conditions and are lucky... That's just stupid to do for the money.
Old 09-11-10, 10:14 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by StiCk3
lol it's funny that no one's heard of this sooner. I heard the words OBX and ITB and i still don't believe it...

As for the NA vs. Turbo debate, sure the difference in power to money ratio are justified, but the tools and skills needed to bring out power in an NA application is something worth commending. To get it to where you can drive it everyday is a feat in itself, which is why most high hp NA applications are mostly track cars and not daily beaters. Still, i would take a good NA build over a turbo build any day.
Yeah its been on their site since like 2005 or something, but they dont actually make them... Go OBX

Thats okay, I would never waste my time with such a **** company anyways.
Old 09-12-10, 02:26 PM
TheBosSC4
Driver

High compression is is what makes throttle response, and that is what I was talking about, linear power-band's hold traction, not nonlinear ones like boost. I wasn't saying that you will make more power down low on an N/A build. I just think its a lot more fun having immediate throttle response from an high compression N/A build with ITB's, then a turbo motor with low compression and lag. If turbo's are so much better then high compression N/A builds, then why are all the high end sports cars 8 and 10 cylinder N/A monster's? Exactly. . .
Old 09-12-10, 03:13 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBosSC4
High compression is is what makes throttle response, and that is what I was talking about, linear power-band's hold traction, not nonlinear ones like boost. I wasn't saying that you will make more power down low on an N/A build. I just think its a lot more fun having immediate throttle response from an high compression N/A build with ITB's, then a turbo motor with low compression and lag. If turbo's are so much better then high compression N/A builds, then why are all the high end sports cars 8 and 10 cylinder N/A monster's? Exactly. . .

and why are all the worlds 1320 records held by f/i cars...everything from top fuels, to 4cyl that hold world records for 1/4mi times are either turbo or supercharged for a reason..Seriously, when was the last time you have seen an n/a MK4 Supra keep up with the Titan or WOTM Supra..EXACTLY

Oh and on a side note, Lexus isnt a "high end" sports car, especially the SC400 (no offense)..its a 4.0l V8. If it was a 7.0L V-8 then go for it, but in the end to hit the "500RWHP" range without f/i, you would be better of buying a Z06..not to mention those "high end" sports cars you speak of, come with a $60+ price tag for a reason and its more than just the name.
Old 09-12-10, 07:04 PM
TougeSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Look up 1UZ ITB on youtube and you will find some results. Personally I think it would be interesting. But I would much rather do a stroked and built 2UZ or 3UZ with ITB's and a proper plenum setup.
Old 09-12-10, 07:30 PM
rcracer_tx
Driver

Originally Posted by turbodremz
and why are all the worlds 1320 records held by f/i cars...everything from top fuels, to 4cyl that hold world records for 1/4mi times are either turbo or supercharged for a reason..Seriously, when was the last time you have seen an n/a MK4 Supra keep up with the Titan or WOTM Supra..EXACTLY

Oh and on a side note, Lexus isnt a "high end" sports car, especially the SC400 (no offense)..its a 4.0l V8. If it was a 7.0L V-8 then go for it, but in the end to hit the "500RWHP" range without f/i, you would be better of buying a Z06..not to mention those "high end" sports cars you speak of, come with a $60+ price tag for a reason and its more than just the name.

^ Said perfectly, although I disagree with buying a ZO6 in any circumstance.

With this heavy of a car, n/a is completely hopeless for the limited hp you can make and the outrageous cost compared to forced induction.
Old 09-12-10, 09:55 PM
TheBosSC4
Driver

Originally Posted by turbodremz

Since when is this a contest about quarter mile times? Its about daily driving a responsive v8. This isn't a horsepower contest. Do you think Ferrari and all the high end sports car's build there cars specifically for the 1320? No. I never said lexus is a high end sports car, maybe the LFA is but thats it.
Old 09-12-10, 10:53 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBosSC4
Since when is this a contest about quarter mile times? Its about daily driving a responsive v8. This isn't a horsepower contest. Do you think Ferrari and all the high end sports car's build there cars specifically for the 1320? No. I never said lexus is a high end sports car, maybe the LFA is but thats it.
you missed the point. building reliable, sense making n/a HP comes with a high price..very similar to the cars you used as an example. No it has nothing to do with 1/4 mi times, but the factor of weight has everything to do with an SC and therefore the 1/4mi times were merely an example, and comparison. Its a 4k lbs car (depending on driver weight, gas tank level, sound systems, etc.) that ITB's, stand alone EMS, and other supporting mods dont make much of a difference performance wise, when for the same cost (or less) you can simply make the same or double the power by going f/i..
Old 09-13-10, 07:46 AM
Ssergio86
Rookie

I think N/A and turbo will cost you pretty much the same, if you do it the right way, (not in the see when it blows way) I can agree to the fact that you will make more horse power from a turbo engine, specially one like the 1jz or a 2jz. but no one likes a dyno queen, stupid horse power good for nothing, or just to go on a straight line.....there is more than the quarter mile ya know?.....

so let's say you wanna build a turbo engine the right way and then the N/A in the same way let's see money wise what you'll spend

turbo charger (not a chinese one a good one) 1k-3k
turbo manifold $300-$500 (again a good brand or custom made)
westgate $300
downpipe $300
3" or plus exhaust $500-1k
blow off valve $200-$500
forged internals 2k
head gasket $200
cams 1.5k (optional)
valve train 1k
intercooler $600-1k
intercooler piping $500
turbo clamps $200
FPR $200
inyectors 1k
stan alone ECU 1k-3k
map sensor $100-$300
harness $200
EVC $500
turbo timer $300
boost gauge $200
EGT gage $250
AFR $200-$600
tuning and dyno time 1k-2k
I know I am missing stuff here

ok now the N/A set up

all of the above minus

turbocharger -1k,3k
intercooler $600
intercooler piping $300
westgate $300
turbo manifold $300
boost gauge $200
EVC -$400
turbo timer -$300
turbo clamps $200
inyectors -1k (they come with the ITB kit)

now what you will have to add to the build

ITB 1.5k-2.5k
Headers 1k
cams 1.5k
head work $500
lighter flywheel $300
forged crankshaft 600$-1.5K (Optional)
i think I may be missing something please feel free to add to any of the set ups.

Once again these prices are an approximate not the actual price. But even so in my calculator both of the set ups are pretty close in price (n/a may be a tiny bit cheaper) but with no doubt you will make probably double the horse power with the turbo application,...but non streetable, and probably useless HP, because u will have to make the car in to a dyno queen, because u would have so much freaking horse power that u wouldn't be able to put it down to the wheels even in quarter mile all u would have is wheel spin.....

so let's say that u made the 500HP on ur stock internals and a cheap *** turbo and other parts.....take it around the track and see how many laps u would do with out either over heating or blowing it?.....plus turbo cars never ever are on high boost on a daily basis only when needed. N/A power is always there.

......look I love turbo cars, love them, i just think it was a little too much to call it "N/A garbage". knowing that all the great race cars in the world are N/A and mostly V8's including the Japanese super GT Skylines, and formula one cars.
Old 09-13-10, 07:56 AM
Ssergio86
Rookie

oh i forgot to add the dry pan set up and the external oil pump which would add like 3k to the whole set up....but i would say this would only be for Race car applications.
Old 09-13-10, 08:01 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by Ssergio86
Once again these prices are an approximate not the actual price. But even so in my calculator both of the set ups are pretty close in price (n/a may be a tiny bit cheaper) but with no doubt you will make probably double the horse power with the turbo application,...but non streetable, and probably useless HP, because u will have to make the car in to a dyno queen, because u would have so much freaking horse power that u wouldn't be able to put it down to the wheels even in quarter mile all u would have is wheel spin.....

so let's say that u made the 500HP on ur stock internals and a cheap *** turbo and other parts.....take it around the track and see how many laps u would do with out either over heating or blowing it?.....plus turbo cars never ever are on high boost on a daily basis only when needed. N/A power is always there.

......look I love turbo cars, love them, i just think it was a little too much to call it "N/A garbage". knowing that all the great race cars in the world are N/A and mostly V8's including the Japanese super GT Skylines, and formula one cars.
how would a 4L v8 turbo not be streetable or a dyno queen.
and why does it have to be a cheap *** turbo.
there are like 800+hp sc's putting down all that power just fine, it doesn't matter the type of engine or whether you are using magical pixie dust to propel you, it all goes to the same wheels.

Most of us here have turbo cars that are driven on a regular basis, Alot of us use them as daily drivers. don't beat down turbo's because you want to do an n/a. You are going to have to do it because you enjoy it or you think its awesome, not because its better than a turbo 1uz cause majority disagrees on this one.

And I say good day to you sir.
Old 09-13-10, 08:15 AM
Ssergio86
Rookie

first I LOVE TURBO ENGINES but i love N/a too i wasn't trash talking about turbo cars i was just contrasting and comparing.

and second honestly u wont make 800hp on N/A 1uz ever....unless u have a nitrous shot of 300-400hp lol

I have a 1uz, and I can't wait to build my 1jz...but my opinion is that both ways to go are awesome and there is no need to trash talk them in any way.
Old 09-13-10, 08:25 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I obviously meant 800+hp on a 2jz notice I wrote SC's, the car can put the power down.
As long as you know what you are in for, A ITB 1uz will sounds awesome I am sure and should perform better than stock. It would be great to see the completed product and I will definately keep an eye out for it as it will be super unique, its just hard to be "fast" in the SC world without a turbo these days.
Old 09-13-10, 09:45 AM
kwg
Lead Lap

we're talking about if n/a tuning benefits the sc300/400 compared to turbo and not n/a vs turbo as a whole, that is another subject. PERSONALLY, n/a tuning has no place with the sc300/400 because of the weight issue among others with other cars its a different story. why would you consider such a thing when the 1jz/2jz motor has so much potential?

Quick Reply: OBX ITB's???