Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

DIY Tire Well Harness Relocation

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-15, 11:42 AM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by edaeddy
Any suggestions on getting the harness out of the plate??
nope, i never did that, i just loosened that "plate" and tucked the harness above the wheel in the fender hole. ziptied it to some random hole and done.
Old 10-13-15, 10:29 AM
LEXOWINO
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jintei
this is exacly what i did last night since i don't know how to unplug the other wire that goes inside the floor.

this way is so much easier and works as good, and no wire loom showing on the engine bay, which looks neater.
Not lowered and I will be doing the same thing only using metal zip ties instead of plastic.

Some of my wires are exposed. WTF
Old 10-13-15, 01:33 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

plastic is better, less chance of it cutting into the wires with vibration over time.
Old 06-06-16, 09:05 PM
bags29
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring problem

So I installed coilovers last week. Drove on them one night to test them out after slammed and rubbed through wiring harness in the wheel well and two wires rubbed together and my starter started cranking uncontrollably, as well as the engine started shutting on and off. This happened simultaneously. I immediately turged off the car and pushed it to a parking lot. Then I I taped up the two wires that were exposed and removed the harness protector and replaced it with fleX hosing and cable ties to secure it up out of the way of the wheel. Then went to start the car and nothing. Everything works but when I turn the key to start it there is no sound at all.

I checked all the fuses, tried jumping the car, tried reseting the alarm system. NOTHING WORKED.

Any ideas????
Old 06-08-16, 03:20 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by bags29
So I installed coilovers last week. Drove on them one night to test them out after slammed and rubbed through wiring harness in the wheel well and two wires rubbed together and my starter started cranking uncontrollably, as well as the engine started shutting on and off. This happened simultaneously. I immediately turged off the car and pushed it to a parking lot. Then I I taped up the two wires that were exposed and removed the harness protector and replaced it with fleX hosing and cable ties to secure it up out of the way of the wheel. Then went to start the car and nothing. Everything works but when I turn the key to start it there is no sound at all.

I checked all the fuses, tried jumping the car, tried reseting the alarm system. NOTHING WORKED.

Any ideas????
fix the wires, there's probably at least one broken and just taping them up won't fix it, you'll need to replace some wire. check the starter by sticking a paperclip in these 2 ports on the starter relay spot.
Name:  DSC_2567.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  255.5 KB
Old 06-11-16, 04:06 PM
bags29
Driver School Candidate

So the starter works. Now to find the wire or fuse that is bad
Old 10-29-16, 02:59 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

Note to self: Never buy a lowered SC again. This has turned into quite the frustrating project, although it at least gave me the incentive to open up the harness and inspect the damage to the wires from previous owners, a couple of which were too significant to leave as-is.

After routing everything up through the engine bay, all nicely wrapped up, I had a couple inches too little left to reach the foot well plugins... Without them fully wrapped, I could free up an inch or so of slack and get at least one of the big connectors plugged in.

I was a bit nervous about that at the start, because there was basically no slack before rerouting.

So, I've pulled it back through the washer bottle hole to return to the stock routing. To the people who have suggested just tucking it up higher, how do you do that when the spot above the tire that's most likely to rub doesn't have a "higher" to tuck it?

I think I've taken a step backwards by going from all the wires spread out thin in the white tray, to a thick bundle that can't go any higher than that tray sat in the first place. The tray was pretty beat up, so I don't think that height is high enough. Do I have to cut an opening up above to tuck it higher?
Attached Thumbnails DIY  Tire Well Harness Relocation-p1020918-sc3-harness-relocation.jpg   DIY  Tire Well Harness Relocation-p1020919-sc3-harness-relocation.jpg  
Old 10-29-16, 05:14 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

I re-wrapped the bundle through that area, making the three white connectors' individual bundles lay flat alongside each other. That allows it to sit a tiny bit higher, but as you can see from the side view, it's still not any higher than the lowest part of the metal.

I have the connectors plugged in now, but there's not a whole lot of slack to push the harness higher even if I cut a slit in the top of the wheel well.
Old 09-24-18, 09:59 AM
joe diego
Lexus Test Driver

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Which wire
Sorry for brining back an old thread but can some one tell me which one of the plugs have to do with the radio and/or power mirrors? Thanks
Old 11-13-20, 07:45 PM
EzeSc300
Driver School Candidate

Default Short circuit?

So I rewired the harness through the engine bay, and all lights were on m, started fine. But as soon as I tried to start my engine, the car dies and all the lights go.
The battery is fine. But I can’t figure out what it could be