Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Reading trouble codes in pre-OBD II (pre 1996) SCs

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-09, 11:07 AM
lexdud
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reading trouble codes in pre-OBD II (pre 1996) SCs

Hello all,

I previously posted here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ng-issues.html

... about my sick SC400. On startup it will stall immediately unless you press on the gas. Keeping the gas pedal depressed (to keep it running) results in a unpleasant chemical smell coming from the tail pipes. After inspecting/cleaning my IACV and verifying MAF functionality using my meter I am left with a car that actually runs worse than before I started. A friendly forum member suggested I read any error codes and forwared this link to do it:

http://www.troublecodes.net/Lexus/

I did this last night and am a little perplexed. Instead of getting a code via the blinking CEL I got a contiuously blinking CEL with a continuosly blinking O?D indicator. My question is ... is this normal for not having any codes or is my ECU fried?

Thanks ...
Old 12-07-09, 11:26 AM
Gspec
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Continuous flashing on OBD1 car usually means either a) no codes present or b) bad ecu

Before I worried to much about it, I'd pull your EFI fuse and clear all the codes, then wait for the light to come on again and rejumper the terminals and see if it will flash an actual codes..

edit..going back and rading your original thread, I'd suggest searching for air leaks post MAF....could be anything from a cracked intake boot, to a leaking intake manifold gasket to a dry rotted vacuum line thats letting unmetered air into the engine.
Old 12-07-09, 12:02 PM
lexdud
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Gspec
Continuous flashing on OBD1 car usually means either a) no codes present or b) bad ecu

Before I worried to much about it, I'd pull your EFI fuse and clear all the codes, then wait for the light to come on again and rejumper the terminals and see if it will flash an actual codes..

edit..going back and rading your original thread, I'd suggest searching for air leaks post MAF....could be anything from a cracked intake boot, to a leaking intake manifold gasket to a dry rotted vacuum line thats letting unmetered air into the engine.

Thank you for your input. I pulled the lower-end of the air intake completely out this weekend including the filter box, MAF assy and the hose that connects it to the throttle body. I tried starting it both times and got the same result each time ... no matter if the MAF is there or not.
Old 12-07-09, 02:11 PM
lexsc4oo
Driver

Def check for a vacuum line that is cracked or somthing of that sort that is post MAF. also check your Catalytic conv. im gettin a feelin you might have a plugged/bad cat. run the car for a little bit and get it warm and look under at your car if it is glowing or has any red hot spots then thats the problem.
Old 12-07-09, 02:38 PM
lexdud
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexsc4oo
Def check for a vacuum line that is cracked or somthing of that sort that is post MAF. also check your Catalytic conv. im gettin a feelin you might have a plugged/bad cat. run the car for a little bit and get it warm and look under at your car if it is glowing or has any red hot spots then thats the problem.

Thanks I had never thought of that Would that be a possibility on a car with on 52K miles on it?
Old 12-07-09, 03:54 PM
jcv4773
Driver School Candidate

I don't have a solution for you but I have a 94 SC400 that seems to have developed the same issue as you are reporting. The dealership has already replaced the IACV twice and I just replace the MAF. My car's symptoms go away after restarting the car repeatedly. I'm perplexed and searching for a solution.
Old 08-16-10, 05:09 PM
CRuby
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Resurrecting this thread as I have a '92 SC400 with 178K miles and similar startup/stalling problem. Check engine light is on & I tried to read codes by jumping between E1 & TE1 via diagnostic port under dash, left side. Check engine light just blinks continuously, no pausing to indicate next digit. The above threads suggest pulling EFI fuse to clear codes & check again...but where is the EFI fuse located?
Does disconnecting the neg battery cable serve the same purpose?
Did Lexdud ever get this problem fixed, & if so what was the cause?

I've been hopping from one problem to the next on this car, but am determined to keep fixing whatever I can, & CL site has been a great source for info. Thanks.
Old 08-16-10, 05:24 PM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CRuby
Resurrecting this thread as I have a '92 SC400 with 178K miles and similar startup/stalling problem. Check engine light is on & I tried to read codes by jumping between E1 & TE1 via diagnostic port under dash, left side. Check engine light just blinks continuously, no pausing to indicate next digit. The above threads suggest pulling EFI fuse to clear codes & check again...but where is the EFI fuse located?
Does disconnecting the neg battery cable serve the same purpose?
Did Lexdud ever get this problem fixed, & if so what was the cause?

I've been hopping from one problem to the next on this car, but am determined to keep fixing whatever I can, & CL site has been a great source for info. Thanks.
If you open the underhood fusebox the lid will have a layout that defines each fuse's purpose. One will say efi, but pulling the negative terminal will work as well.