Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

'92 5sp won't crank, no fuel, no power door locks after installing new battery

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-09, 06:18 PM
MikeFD3S
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy '92 5sp won't crank, no fuel, no power door locks after installing new battery

Hey guys

My SC had been in mothballs for a long time, having only driven her a handful of times in the last couple years. Last night I was doing some work on her (changing back to stock wheels while I refinish a couple sets I have), jump started her, ran her for about an hour. She started perfectly and had a steady idle. Turned her off, put the cover back on and turned in for the night.

Not unexpected, the battery didn't hold the charge and I was unable to start the car when I tried working on her again in my spare time today. I picked up a new battery, and when I was installing it, the car alarm went off, which was a first for me, since I've changed/disconnected the battery plenty of times before. The only difference I could think of was that I had the key in the ignition (OFF position) and the door was open when i connected the new battery. I disconnected the battery to get the alarm to shut off, shut the door, made sure it was unlocked and reconnected new battery, alarm didn't go off this time.

Now the car won't start, and has some other issues:
- won't crank (engine doesn't turn)
- don't hear starter solenoid or ignition switch clicking
- don't hear fuel pump turn on
- driver and passenger power door locks no longer work (must manually lock them)

i did do the following:
- all accessories are functional
- checked all of the under the hood fuses
- relays seemed ok (swapped EFI and DEF relay since they are the same part)
- checked a couple fuses under the dash
- tried disconnecting neg battery terminal and reconnecting
- eng light comes on with key in ACC position (normal)
- 12v AC and other accessories turn off when key turned to ignition (normal)

I didn't have much time to work on her today, since i'm in the middle of a move, but it'd be great if I could have some advice on other things to look for when I get back to the apartment to work on her some more. It seems odd that it's a combination of no crank + no fuel + no power door locks that suddenly stopped working, which makes me think it's some kind of anti-theft measure. Anyone have any experience with this/know how to reset?

In hindsight I should have disconnected the battery before I left today.

Last edited by MikeFD3S; 10-26-09 at 06:26 PM.
Old 10-26-09, 06:56 PM
Papajorgio
Advanced

is this a factory or aftermarket alarm? also double check all your fuses, when a batteries voltage drops it starts to draw higher amperage, kinda a opposite type low volts high amps thing and alot of times fuses blow, but it has all the symptoms of an aftermarket alarm either malfunctioning or having starter kill activated... hope this helps, but you see what happens when you ignore her, she gets temperamental
Old 10-26-09, 06:59 PM
topdog849
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like you need a new starter. try push starting it, i went for a whole summer with mine shot, thank god my friends live on hills. p.s its a lot easier to push start in reverse then 1st
Old 10-26-09, 07:29 PM
MikeFD3S
Lead Lap

There is no aftermarket alarm installed on the car. The only anti-theft system was the one that came from the factory.

If the starter was at fault, I would at least hear the ignition system when trying to start it, but there is zero spark. Alternately, since there is no spark, attempting a push start would only serve to give me a workout. As much as I need to work out more, I don't think pushing my car is a proper option

The strange thing is that the car was operating 100% and started normally before I put in the battery. I'm convinced it's something really simple related to the factory alarm, I just don't know what.
Old 10-26-09, 07:34 PM
Justinizme
Pole Position

Hmmm.. That's definitely odd.. Do the interior lights turn on? Headlights work? Dash lights etc... Did you try jump starting the old battery again by chance?
Old 10-26-09, 07:41 PM
MikeFD3S
Lead Lap

Yes, all other electrical accessories are functioning.

It's specifially just components of the EFI system and door locks that suddenly stopped working, which leads me to believe it's something anti-theft related (signaled by the alarm going off when first connecting the battery, which was a first). I already exchanged the core for the new battery, so trying the old setup isn't an option right now.
Old 10-26-09, 07:44 PM
Justinizme
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MikeFD3S
Yes, all other electrical accessories are functioning.

It's specifially just components of the EFI system and door locks that suddenly stopped working, which leads me to believe it's something anti-theft related (signaled by the alarm going off when first connecting the battery, which was a first). I already exchanged the core for the new battery, so trying the old setup isn't an option right now.
Is the factory alarm light flashing by chance? Without the doors being locked, or keys in or out of the ignition? This happened in my 3000gt... Ended up just replacing the fuse for the factory alarm THEN getting the computer flashed.. Never had a problem again..

Altho, mine grounded itself out somehow and thats what gave the problems..
Old 10-26-09, 07:51 PM
Papajorgio
Advanced

for the factory alarm you could try unlocking the door from the driver side door with the key, make sure both doors are shut and battery is connected and lock and unlock the door with the key, if that doesnt work then im out of ideas, GL...
Old 10-27-09, 08:10 AM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Happened to my sc400 i had to unlock from the PASSENGER side to get it all to function. Weird i know but it worked!
Old 10-27-09, 02:33 PM
MikeFD3S
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by xxtoobsxx
Happened to my sc400 i had to unlock from the PASSENGER side to get it all to function. Weird i know but it worked!
Interesting! I'll give that a try tonight and let you guys know how it goes
Old 10-27-09, 04:38 PM
Redtallman
Rookie

yeah sounds like a alarm problem probably stuck ,try unlocking car with remote or key in the driver side door, but check the alarm light to see what code its flashing first .Also there a service manual with all the different troubleshooting for alarm. you may want to look at your battery cables also the positive has a second line for power for your car that may be corroded inside.
Old 10-28-09, 01:08 AM
GSXRMack
Lead Lap

Same thing happened to me when I got my SC, Forgot the exact way to do reset the starter immobilizer but it should be shut everything and unlock the driver door with the key a few times hold it in unlock a bit longer than normal.
Old 10-28-09, 08:24 AM
T4-Teg
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

disconnect the battery, put the key in the "Run" position and reconnect the battery.
Old 10-28-09, 09:02 PM
MikeFD3S
Lead Lap

Fixed!

It was definitely the factory anti-theft system that immobilized the car. Resolved it by unlocking, locking, unlocking again and holding in unlock position for a few seconds, started right back up and good as new. I had tried unlocking and locking the car before, but I guess holding it unlocked was the key.

Glad I didn't have to break out the multimeter on this. Thanks guys
Old 10-30-09, 09:38 AM
GSXRMack
Lead Lap

glad you figured it out man, I remember flipping the hell out when mine did that crap to me. After all these years it still works so +1 to lexus.