Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

OMG! I broke my PI Dragon converter!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-09, 05:26 AM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default OMG! I broke my PI Dragon converter!

Was merging onto the highway, downshifted to 3rd until up to speed, up shifted back to 4th and then all of a sudden the engine is free wheeling. Pulled over to the side and had absolutely no response from the transmission. Also had a medium pitched whining noise that got a little louder when revving the engine.

I suspected the converter right off the bat. Talked to a few of the older guys in my shop (after getting towed in and then listening to everyone make fun of me) and they also thought it might be the converter. Apparently, back in the day, there were a few Supras breaking them.

Worked on my car when I had the time, we were busy Friday, got it done yesterday. Put the stock converter back in and drove it home last night.

I still can't believe it. The teeth inside the converter basically folded over. They didn't even really break they are just bent inward. To be more specific: when looking at the transmission input shaft, there is a large diameter shaft with teeth on it. Coming out from the center of that shaft is a smaller shaft with teeth on it. Inside the converter, the teeth in which that smaller shaft splines into are the ones that failed.

The PI Dragon converters have a 2 year warranty. I bought mine on 7/27/07. I do plan on calling them up and complaining. It's a little ridiculous that I broke a "high performance" converter while making only 350-400rwhp.

KC
Old 10-18-09, 05:47 AM
slappy96
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been reading about several of these as of late. Not good for PI. Pretty sure sound performance sells something beefier. Sorry man. No fun getting stranded.
Old 10-18-09, 06:00 AM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Funny thing is, I'm not sure it matters.......

Since swapping converters, I have a noise coming from the rear of the car when I really get on it. I had put it back up in the air to look for the cause and found nothing. I think it's my tires (315/35/17's on Supra 9.5 wheels) hitting somewhere. Funny thing is that I didn't have this problem before with the PI installed. So, assuming it is the tires, do I now have more low end tourqe causing the car to squat more?

I have a pair of 255/50 16 Mickey Thompson DR's on stock Mustang alloys, +48 8 inch wide I think. I might try putting those on later to see if it still makes the noise since they shouldn't even come close to hitting anything.

I can tell the difference in stall when I rev the engine up in gear but I'm not really sure that the stock converter has hurt performance. I will say that despite being a smaller diameter, the PI converter is a bit heavier than the stock unit.

KC
Old 10-18-09, 06:06 AM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Also, I'm sure this has been covered but I'm going to ask anyway. Does anyone know if the bellhousing for the SC400 auto can be bolted onto the Supra MK4 auto? I'm thinking about getting a Boost Logic unit. Also found this company - http://www.atfbilletparts.com/toyota...smission-p-403

I'm not worried about solenoid configuration since I have a controller. As long as it has 2 shift solenoids, a lock up solenoid and the plugs are the same or it can be spliced to work, I'd be good to go.

I can't keep changing autos, I had just killed 2nd gear in one a couple of weeks ago before this happened.
Old 10-18-09, 06:58 AM
Anti-Venom
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear about the trouble you've been having. Hopefully PI will take care of you on the warranty issue. Hopefully they can see that a competitor of theirs offers a lifetime warranty on their converters. As far as low end torque... My undertstanding is that the performance converters offer more low end torque over stock.
Old 10-18-09, 07:29 AM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Anti-Venom
Sorry to hear about the trouble you've been having. Hopefully PI will take care of you on the warranty issue. Hopefully they can see that a competitor of theirs offers a lifetime warranty on their converters. As far as low end torque... My undertstanding is that the performance converters offer more low end torque over stock.
Yes, supposed to. I never had my car dyno tested with the stock converter so I can't be sure. I think at this point, a trip to the track would be the best indicator of the difference. It is possible that the converter had been going out for some time and now just finally broke completely.

I'm probably gonna put my other pair of wheels on the back to test. If my noise is not the tires hitting, I suspect the center driveshaft bearing. I really don't think so though because the sound is much further back. I really don't think it's the rear end.

KC
Old 10-18-09, 09:25 AM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KC95SC400
Also, I'm sure this has been covered but I'm going to ask anyway. Does anyone know if the bellhousing for the SC400 auto can be bolted onto the Supra MK4 auto? I'm thinking about getting a Boost Logic unit. Also found this company - http://www.atfbilletparts.com/toyota...smission-p-403

I'm not worried about solenoid configuration since I have a controller. As long as it has 2 shift solenoids, a lock up solenoid and the plugs are the same or it can be spliced to work, I'd be good to go.

I can't keep changing autos, I had just killed 2nd gear in one a couple of weeks ago before this happened.
I'm not 100% sure.... BUT since you can use an SC400 transmission on a 2jz..... I don't see why you couldn't reverse it. Congrats on breaking an upgraded T/C. It's a sweet and sour moment all at the same time!
Old 10-18-09, 12:44 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 2jzlex
I'm not 100% sure.... BUT since you can use an SC400 transmission on a 2jz..... I don't see why you couldn't reverse it. Congrats on breaking an upgraded T/C. It's a sweet and sour moment all at the same time!
Anymore info on this? I'll admit, I haven't done much searching yet, but so far, I haven't found much info.

Seems that there are 3 main things to worry about. Will the bellhouing swap over? Will the flex plate bolts line up with the tq conveter? And, is the tailshaft section the same?

I will likely try and give BL a call tomorrow along with the other company I linked to and see what they have to say about it.

That is true what you say about breaking the PI converter. Sweet and sour. Mostly sour though. LOL. I'm also gonna try and call them up at some point to see what they say about it. They might want the converter just to see what broke. I would hope that they would want to find and fix the problem for future customers and hopefully, they'll want to keep me as a customer.

KC
Old 10-18-09, 12:53 PM
DRFT103
Lead Lap

I've been reading alot of bad things about PI on supra forums, so this doesn't suprise me!

I'm in the market for a legit TC right now.

But did i read that wrong... are you really running 315's on 9.5" tt wheels?
Old 10-18-09, 05:08 PM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

Anymore info on this? I'll admit, I haven't done much searching yet, but so far, I haven't found much info.

KC

The tranny's between an Auto MKIV and a an SC400 are interchangeable. Only difference is a gear or two. Now the flex plate and T/C, I'm not sure about.
Old 10-18-09, 06:08 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 2jzlex
The tranny's between an Auto MKIV and a an SC400 are interchangeable. Only difference is a gear or two. Now the flex plate and T/C, I'm not sure about.
I don't know. Seems like one of those things I've read a few times but can't seem to find all the info when I actually need it. LOL.

The gears are actually the same between the two. 1st = 2.804 to 1, 2nd = 1.531 to 1, 3rd = 1 to 1 and 4th is .7 to 1.

I'll try to call around to a few places withing the next couple of days to see what I can find out. Depending on prices and what will or won't work, I might either buy a built unit or buy all the needed parts to build it myself / find someone to do it for me.

--------------

The noise coming from the rear (somewhere), I don't know, I'm at a total loss. It didn't do it before swapping the converter. I tried putting the other pair of wheels / tires on it and it still did it. I just spent the last 1-2 hours putting my car on stands and listening to every rotating part with the trans in 4th and the speedo showing about 30mph and I don't hear anything unusual. Both rear wheel bearings seem kind of loud but they both sound the same and I think it's probably the brakes / ebrakes I'm hearing. The center d-shaft bearing is whisper quiet. The diff makes a little noise but nothing unusual, even when blocking a wheel from turning one at a time.

It really sounds like the tires might be rubbing but I really don't see much sign of it. No scuffs on the tires. I guess I'm going to need to keep an eye on things and wait until whatever it is makes itself more obvious.

KC
Old 10-19-09, 05:37 AM
slappy96
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems that there are 3 main things to worry about. Will the bellhouing swap over? Will the flex plate bolts line up with the tq conveter? And, is the tailshaft section the same?

I will likely try and give BL a call tomorrow along with the other company I linked to and see what they have to say about it.

That is true what you say about breaking the PI converter. Sweet and sour. Mostly sour though. LOL. I'm also gonna try and call them up at some point to see what they say about it. They might want the converter just to see what broke. I would hope that they would want to find and fix the problem for future customers and hopefully, they'll want to keep me as a customer.

KC

1 Bellhousing=no issue
2. Torque conv line up with flex plate. GREAT Question! I went through this pain and not all 2JZ Flex plates work with all 2JZ TQ Conv. I don't mean to be confusing on this, but I had 3 2JZGTE flex plates and had only one (the original) would marry up with the torque converter. I haven't broken the code on this. My advice is get a torque converter and flex plate together that is a known pair. At a minimum, test fit them together before you put the tranny on. Oh...the memories.
3. Tailshaft on a TT Auto is circular 4 bolt and SC is 3 bolt tri-arm (as you know) 30mm socket fixes this nicely.
Old 10-19-09, 08:59 AM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by slappy96
2. Torque conv line up with flex plate. GREAT Question! I went through this pain and not all 2JZ Flex plates work with all 2JZ TQ Conv. I don't mean to be confusing on this, but I had 3 2JZGTE flex plates and had only one (the original) would marry up with the torque converter.
Huh. That's interesting. Wonder if it's a year or a US/JSPEC kind of thing, or maybe both? I do know that there are two trans codes for that particular trans, and that the filter/gasket is different, maybe that has some correlation I don't know.
Old 10-19-09, 07:18 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Well, I never got around to calling anyone today. Might just try email, easier to make time for.

I think if I were to use BL or a similar builder, I would send them my transmission or buy their rebuild kit if they sell all the parts.

As far as the converter, seems kind of complicated. The question is will a Supra converter bolt on to an SC400 flexplate. I wouldn't think you could use a Supra flexplate on the V8. If I'm not mistaken, the starter on the Supra is facing the opposite direction of the starter on the V8, the teeth on the flex plate would be cut on the wrong side, where the starter engages it.

KC
Old 10-19-09, 08:28 PM
scfou
Pole Position

Maybe you shouldn't manually shift an auto. I'm no good with torque converters, but is this one made specifically for you to shift manually? There's an old saying that a lot of stock auto boxes break when you treat it like a stick. Isn't that true?

Quick Reply: OMG! I broke my PI Dragon converter!