Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Why wont my car start...

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-09, 10:16 AM
Black_SC
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Why wont my car start...

It was running fine, but then i test fitted wheels and while my wheel was off i decided to extend the wiring harness since my wheels had been rubbing it. There were about 3-4 wires that had been cut, so i fixed them. Before fixing them when i was just looking at them, it sparked on me.

I tried to start the car but nothing happened, except the tach and speedo light went off and all the warning lights came on (oil, battery, CEL, etc). So i figured i probably fried a fuse, so i checked them all and found that the power one by your foot was blown, so i replaced it. Car still doesnt start.

Im guessing it was just time for the starter to go out. I cant really think of anything else.

Any of you guys got any input?
Old 09-29-09, 10:33 AM
GRN MNSTR
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could be the starter...it's a different vehicle but one day me and my friend were driving, he started his truck up, no stutter or hesitation with the starting, we drove maybe 10 minutes to the AT&T store, spent 15 minutes in there, then all of a sudden the truck wouldn't start at all. Caught us completely off guard, so it's definitely a possibility
Old 09-29-09, 08:08 PM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Black_SC
It was running fine, but then i test fitted wheels and while my wheel was off i decided to extend the wiring harness since my wheels had been rubbing it. There were about 3-4 wires that had been cut, so i fixed them. Before fixing them when i was just looking at them, it sparked on me.

I tried to start the car but nothing happened, except the tach and speedo light went off and all the warning lights came on (oil, battery, CEL, etc). So i figured i probably fried a fuse, so i checked them all and found that the power one by your foot was blown, so i replaced it. Car still doesnt start.

Im guessing it was just time for the starter to go out. I cant really think of anything else.

Any of you guys got any input?

More info needed.

Is it cranking? If not, do you hear a click?

Do you hear the fuel pump priming?

Sounds like you shorted something out. You checked the engine bay fuses also?
Old 09-30-09, 01:34 PM
Black_SC
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lemmiewink
More info needed.

Is it cranking? If not, do you hear a click?

Do you hear the fuel pump priming?

Sounds like you shorted something out. You checked the engine bay fuses also?
doesnt crank at all...not even a click. fuel pump turns on.

the starter relay clicks, so we think somethings stopping power from getting to the starter...
Old 09-30-09, 04:34 PM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can remove the starter, just do it and take it to a local store and get it check... If you have a way to jump the starter at all by putting on power directly to the starter you can do that too but I would not recommend it if you are not comfortable doing that. The whole assembly is basically a ground... Professional mechanics usually have a tool that they put directly to the starter and the battery so they can just push the button when they work alone by themselves on a car instead of going in and out of the car just to start the car on and off.

Was looking what it is called.. Its a remote starter solenoid or google keyword: remote starter mechanic tool

Looks like this