Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Overheating problem.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-09, 09:37 PM
vip.boi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating problem.....

Hey guys,

I have a 1995 SC400 that overheats at a certain amount of time its been driven. First i thought it would of been the coolant reservoir cause i found a crack on the reservoir that could cause a leak but the last owner i bought it from seal it up with a clear silicone. Then later when the car did overheat it was shooting water out of the thermostat housing, my friend from js4kix garage told me i need to replace the housing. But jus for temporary i feeled the crack with JB weld til i can find a parts car to replace it. Then after i think i found the main leak i think it could be the water pump but idk (this is my first lexus i ever owned).....if anyone can show me a diagram or a picture where the waterpump is located. Also if anyone could give me advice about my overheating problem that'll be great......

thanks...
Old 07-18-09, 07:50 PM
SHOLEXMAN
Lexus Test Driver

http://www.uzswap.com/forum/gallery/...6_10_56_18.jpg

You need to remove the timing cover to access it.
First off you need to check for any leaks in the system. Replace the thermostat cause i bet that has never been done. Make sure your fan works including the hydraulic fluid system. Check and see if you have flow in the system. Do a coolant pressure test to check to any leaks in the system.
Old 07-19-09, 05:49 AM
ucfa4
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your thermostat and waterpump.
Old 07-25-09, 04:31 AM
vip.boi
Driver School Candidate

ok heres the update i change the coolant reservoir and the thermostat but heres the problem i found, when i open the housing the thermostat look like it was missing something....(shown in the picture)

left side is the new thermostat and the right is my old one.

so i replace the thermostat and it work well. but the other problem is it still overheats depend on how long it has been driven. like once i fill the reservoir to the top it leaks while i drive the car and after a while it starts to go up slowly, so i always have to put coolant every once in a while. so im guessing the leak is coming from the waterpump and idk if i need a special tool to take out the water pump and replace it or it could be that i need to replace a seal, so i was wondering if anyone knows if i need a special tool to take out, if so any one has a picture of it.

thanks.

Last edited by vip.boi; 07-25-09 at 05:02 AM.
Old 07-25-09, 05:52 AM
v8soarer91
Pole Position

Here is the best tutorial on how to replace the water pump

http://www.soarerworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24037

$1000aud inc. labour

You may want to change the rotors and distributors while it is apart.

And half of the overheating problems in the us is caused by not having the genuine alloy radiator fitted (pic's in waterpump tutorial).

copper/brass coolant do not mix with alloy all that well

Go out and buy a aftermarket soarer radiator or convert it to the tt supra radiator (pm me if unsure how to).
Old 07-25-09, 11:26 PM
vip.boi
Driver School Candidate

ok update....today while i was driving it started to overheat....then i pulled to the side and put more water then i continue driving after soo later the engine made noise and it jus went shut off. does any know why it shut off? lmk thanks.
cause im not feeling well =[
Old 07-25-09, 11:28 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vip.boi
ok update....today while i was driving it started to overheat....then i pulled to the side and put more water then i continue driving after soo later the engine made noise and it jus went shut off. does any know why it shut off? lmk thanks.
cause im not feeling well =[
That definitely doesn't sound too good
Old 07-25-09, 11:46 PM
vip.boi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by xknowonex
That definitely doesn't sound too good
yeah i know please anyone knows why my baby wont start? it cranks but it jus doesnt catch.
Old 07-26-09, 12:15 AM
vip.boi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ryeno
replace the water pump and timing belt. I think these car are non-interference so if they brake it turns off, so you cant destroy the engine.
i think the last owner told me he replace the timing belt. but how much would a water pump and a timing belt will be.
Old 07-26-09, 12:26 AM
vip.boi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ryeno
no idea. go to toyo(nospace)diy dot com and find the part number. Then check the price on lexus of pembroke pines trademotion site.

As for labor, well whatever you pay but i do all my labor myself.
so its really my water pump and timing belt that my car isnt starting.....
Old 07-26-09, 07:33 AM
SHOLEXMAN
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah since the car was overheating from the start you should not have been driving it after wards other then to a repair shop. Either your water pump locked up and it jumped a tooth/teeth or you melted some sensors/injectors and it won't run. That was a really bad call. Check the whole engine bay to make sure nothing melted buy a water pump/timing belt and have it towed to a shop. Have them repair and diagnose the issue correctly so you won't risk further damage. Once you get it running I hope the head gasket doesn't pop cause you let it overheat and possibly warp the head.
Old 07-30-09, 11:18 PM
vip.boi
Driver School Candidate

^^^^^ thanks