Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

93 SC 300 Engine will not run after Tune UP (Help)

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-08, 03:46 PM
red93sc
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation 93 SC 300 Engine will not run after Tune UP (Help)

Guys, I replaced the spark plugs on my 93 sc (2JZ-GTE) engine. my second round for a major tune up.
I had bosch spark plugs in it and in stalled some autolites platinum and while at it I replaced the valve cover gaskets.too
I pulled the upper intake and so on. Then cleaned the intake trac out with some carburetor cleaner.
I put it back together.

Then I went to start the car and it just spun over. So I check over all my connectors again and noticed the the plug going to the distributor wasnt all the way in. I plugged it in and tried to start it again. with no success. It acts like it wants to start, but will not run. I can hear the fuel pump, too

I checked the spark plugs. The were wet and smelled like gas. I cleaned them and checked for spark and they had a good spark. (By the way only the spark plug wires were pulled from the head. I did check the firing order too. order is still the same.

I checked the timing belt and all the marks line up.

Do you guy think I may have fried the ECM or the Pick up in the distributor?

Help!!!
Old 12-23-08, 04:09 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

no likely the distributor sensors. it might be an ecu issue. i actually had almost an identical issue as yours. i was at work and decided to pop my car the bay change the distributor cap and the rotor. did the job. started the car and drove for about 5 mins. pull it back in turn it off. go to start it again in 5 mins and it just cranks.

my issue was the wire going from the ignition cylinder to turn on the ecu was broken in the harness. that wire(black w. orange stripe) turns on the ecu and that in turn turns on the ignitor, fuel pump, and other efi accessories.

since your fuel pump is working the efi relay is working thus that wire is not your issue.

pop open the fuse box in the engine bay and check the fuses. there should be a 30amp efi fuse along with some other ones.

make a general inspection of everything. idle air control, tps, and other plugs.

good luck
Old 12-23-08, 04:34 PM
User1321989
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by red93sc
Guys, I replaced the spark plugs on my 93 sc (2JZ-GTE) engine. my second round for a major tune up.
I had bosch spark plugs in it and in stalled some autolites platinum .......

your engine is angry at you for installing such ****ty spark plugs...

good luck on the fix
Old 12-23-08, 05:13 PM
red93sc
Rookie

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30
no likely the distributor sensors. it might be an ecu issue. i actually had almost an identical issue as yours. i was at work and decided to pop my car the bay change the distributor cap and the rotor. did the job. started the car and drove for about 5 mins. pull it back in turn it off. go to start it again in 5 mins and it just cranks.

my issue was the wire going from the ignition cylinder to turn on the ecu was broken in the harness. that wire(black w. orange stripe) turns on the ecu and that in turn turns on the ignitor, fuel pump, and other efi accessories.

since your fuel pump is working the efi relay is working thus that wire is not your issue.

pop open the fuse box in the engine bay and check the fuses. there should be a 30amp efi fuse along with some other ones.

make a general inspection of everything. idle air control, tps, and other plugs.

good luck
Thanks, I for got to add. That i did check the fuses.

Now that wire you are talking about. Is it in the harness that crosses over the head. I did have to pull that harness a lil tight when I pulled the valve cover off.
Old 12-23-08, 07:22 PM
ICONYQ
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you check the relays as well? I forgot which one but I had the same issue on a radio install and one blew (in the engine bay and not in the kick panel) and it would not allow the car to turn over...just crank.

FYI autolites are crap. It is not the issue but just FYI. You do not want to put crap in or you get crap out.
Old 12-23-08, 07:33 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

first problem is that bosch plugs already in it. Bad idea especially if they are the multi-ground tips. Same with those autolites. Are you sure you have a 2JZ-GTE and not a 2JZ-GE?? 2JZ-GTE has coil packs not distributors, leading me to believe you have the wrong firing order or the timing is off on the distributor. Reset the ignition timing and get some NGK plugs in there, they are OEM recommended and do the best job.
Old 12-23-08, 08:46 PM
red93sc
Rookie

Smile

Originally Posted by StiCk3
first problem is that bosch plugs already in it. Bad idea especially if they are the multi-ground tips. Same with those autolites. Are you sure you have a 2JZ-GTE and not a 2JZ-GE?? 2JZ-GTE has coil packs not distributors, leading me to believe you have the wrong firing order or the timing is off on the distributor. Reset the ignition timing and get some NGK plugs in there, they are OEM recommended and do the best job.
Thanks for the response.
My engine has the distributor in it ( I may have gotten the model number wrong ).
I have the factory replacement spark plug wires installed and they will only go to the lenght of the exact cylinder. So its very hard to get the wires mixed up.
As for as the spark plugs. I had the original NGKs in for about 60k,then I installed the bosh plats later on, I have put in two set of those in over the years. They both went for about 80-90k. (I drive a lot of hiway miles). I have 320k on the motor.
For all that may ask. I am on my 4th timing belt.
I decided to try these autolites out (they have the single ground tip). They have a good spark out side of the engine while I turn it over. I just cant tell if they are in time or if I may have damaged something when I didn't have the plug going to the distributor pushed all the way in.
One more question I have is. I cant tell were the wires that are in the harness the crosses over the engine and down through the intake manifold goes. Do anyone know if there is a connector or something down in that area, that I may have pulled apart from pulling the valve covers off?

The symptoms I am having is. that the engine turns over and almost fires. Then that's all it does.
Thanks for all or you guys help. I am trying to get back on the road for the holiday. (hi hopes)
Old 12-24-08, 04:02 PM
drft_n_VIP
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JDMparts
your engine is angry at you for installing such ****ty spark plugs...

good luck on the fix
I bet if you were to buy Denso Iriduim plugs, it would start at the sight of them