Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Excessive Emission?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-08, 01:06 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Excessive Emission?

Ok now I know there a term for what I'm about to describe, but after a 17 hour shift I can not think of it so I will describe the best I can.

Oh boy.............I know I'm going to sound like a Retarded Monkey for this lol.

Here is goes.................In the morning when i start my car it seems like there is an excessive amount of exhaust fumes coming out of the car. When I'm driving it is not noticible but the minute I stop at a light it almost looks like my has a small fire lol. It mostly happens on cool mornings, but sometimes it happens when it is 70 degrees out. My car is the only that is doing this, the other cars around me are not.

Any ideas of what could be causing this?
Old 10-12-08, 06:08 PM
SHOLEXMAN
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a feeling that your car is running rich or that you have a lot of moisture in the exhaust system which is evaporating. Do you have a check engine light on? If you have a misfire the car will run rich. Usually the car runs rich if cool in the morning also. If you can tell or not do you seen do go threw gas real quick? Check your maintenance items like plugs wires and intake cleaning. Make sure they have been replaced within a couple years. Make sure your intake is clean also which helps. Other then that there shouldn't be a real big deal on less you have a check engine light. Keep the updates later....
Old 10-13-08, 04:49 AM
Durrr
Lead Lap

the closer you live to an ocean, the more likely this will happen due to humidity being absorbed into the catalyst. Should go away after about 10 miles of driving I would think, or like was said above, you're running really rich and the catalyst is working overtime to remove HCs.
Old 10-13-08, 08:49 AM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In July I changed my plugs, Wires, Distributor, VCG's. I do have a check engine light on it is for my 02 Sensor in Bank 1, could this be causing it? Me and Gas really dont like each other much lol my gas mileage is pretty crappy.

Last edited by Sup2jzgte; 10-13-08 at 08:55 AM.
Old 10-13-08, 01:37 PM
SHOLEXMAN
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Sup2jzgte
In July I changed my plugs, Wires, Distributor, VCG's. I do have a check engine light on it is for my 02 Sensor in Bank 1, could this be causing it? Me and Gas really dont like each other much lol my gas mileage is pretty crappy.
Man you should have changed that thing awile ago lol. That will kill your gas mileage cause your car goes into "limp in mode". The car goes back to the computers default settings and then you cook that gas away. Make sure to use 91 octane also cause that it doesn't cause "spark knock or ping". The knock sensor picks that up and reatards the timing and dumps more fuel. So replace the sensor and you be good to go.