Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

I really need some help

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-08, 05:01 AM
tpnotch420
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I really need some help

I have a 92 sc400 and recently it died on me and I was not able to get it restarted. After doing some reseach on this sight I decided to check the fuel ecu but it seems to be working fine. After doing more research I started looking for a possible short and I found that the wire to the camshaft position sensor had been rubbing against the serpentine belt. So I seperated the wires and then put an ohm meter to both sensors and they seemed to test within the acceptable range. I'm kinda shot on cash so I'm really trying to avoid taking it to the shop. I'd run the obd test but in trying to get it started I ran the battery down so I'm sure the codes have been erased.

If anyone has got any suggestions please share. I'd like to get some possible causes for the problem and how to test to see if part is good or bad

thnaks in advance for your help
Old 08-05-08, 06:30 AM
blacice83
Rookie

I had a similar problem with my 92 SC3 a while bac where it died on me a few time and then just stopped all together. I thought it was the fuel pump to and did all the same steps you did but i ended up taking it to the dealer in Raleigh NC and they found that a burnt out wire from the igniton start ECU to another ecu under the hood burnt out.Its been a while since i had the problem thats why i cant remember the part names. More the likely the codes are gone since the batt went dead. I dont really have a answer to your question but i hope my store gave you an idea to check out some other stuff if you dont get a answer to that cam sensor!
Old 08-05-08, 10:06 AM
tpnotch420
Rookie

okay so after doing some more research on the web I have found acceptable resistance levels for the speed sensor, ignition coil & the high tension cord so I plan to check those this afternoon should I be looking at anything else?
Old 08-05-08, 04:46 PM
tpnotch420
Rookie

so after testing I've found the ignition coils and high tension cord are within specs but the speed sensor is not within the specs So i'm wondering if this is enough to keep my car from starting. Upon further research I've found that the speed sensor is supose to detect the crank angle.
Old 08-05-08, 06:39 PM
cbrasian
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

vss is not used for that.....
first charge your battery try cranking the motor does it crank or not if it cranks its on fuel side if it doesn't then its on electrical side......... if you don't do it in order how are you not going to know what your what your doing and end up swapping out a bunch of crap you didn't need in first place
Old 08-06-08, 04:57 AM
tpnotch420
Rookie

yes it does crank. I've checked the fuel ecu and the fuel pump and they both seem to be working. The engine seems to be getting fuel. When this fist started my original thought was that it's not getting fuel but now I'm starting to think that it's not getting any spark. I only checked those 2 items on the fuel side what else should I be looking at
Old 08-06-08, 10:44 AM
cbrasian
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how did you test fuel side so you checked the fuse and made sure that there is proper pressure? how do you know if there is spark??? check to make sure the plugs are firing also hook up a scan tool and check for signal from crank sensor