Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Sc400 Acceleration Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-10, 09:43 AM
CoryJNason
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sc400 Acceleration Problem

I have a 92 sc400. It has 141k. It has a bad acceleration problem. I dont know what it is. It idles fine and then when I go to drive it, it has no real power. It will gradually accelerate and go through the gears. I have replaced the plugs, about to do the wire. Could it be the fuel pump? HELP!?!?!? This is my only car and I need to get it fixed NOW!! PLEASE HELP

UPDATE-UPDATE-UPDATE-UPDATE-UPDATE-UPDATE-UPDATE-UPDATE-UPDATE-UPDATE-UPDATE-UPDATE-UPDATE-UPDATE-UPDATE-UPDATE-UPDATE-UPDATE

Replaced a coil on the right side of the engine(when looking at the engine) and it runs GREAT NOW! I dont have any shifting problems or anything anymore! Going to reset the codes and see if it still spits out a 25. If it does its probably just an o2 sensor but nothing big. Thanks for all the inputs!

Last edited by CoryJNason; 01-11-11 at 06:33 PM.
Old 12-15-10, 11:28 AM
SChema
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I could be a pump but have you replaced the fuel filter?
Old 12-15-10, 11:48 AM
6SOARER
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would try the fuel filter first. Its cheaper and easier to get to compared to that pump located in the tank.
Old 12-15-10, 01:03 PM
LunaVyohr
Lead Lap

There's tons of things that could be causing this. Does your car jerk while driving around, particularly while going up hills? Do you have a hard time starting it, and does it sort of 'stumble' on ignition? These symptoms often lead to a bad fuel pump. Is there hesitation in the throttle, and a sort of dead spot when you press down on it? That could be a TPS. Do you have engine ping as well? That could be your O2 sensor.

Try replacing your fuel filter first. Don't replace your pump if you don't have to, as they're kind of a pain in the *** to replace if they're in the tank.

If that doesn't work, spend the money to have a mechanic diagnose it.

It could be something electrical. But, these are just guesses.
Old 12-18-10, 03:51 AM
CoryJNason
Driver School Candidate

I replaced the fuel filter and still have the same problem. Yesterday while driving on the highway the check engine like and traction control off light came on and stayed on. I checked the codes and it says air/fuel lean malfunction. Any ideas?
Old 12-18-10, 06:57 PM
CoryJNason
Driver School Candidate

I replaced the plugs and wires today. It helped a little but not completely. Also when I went to walmart as I pulled into a spot the car stalled... HELP!lol. Fuel Pump?

NOT EVERYONE AT ONCE!
Old 12-18-10, 09:31 PM
ucmysc400
Pole Position

imm guessing mihgt be ur O2 or fuel delivery system or electronic management.... if u already changed the fuel filter then try adding 1-2 bottles of techron fuel additive to the gas tank to clean the intake,valves and injectors. if not then go get it diagnosed .
Old 12-19-10, 12:03 AM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

I just ran into similar symptoms on another vehicle make which eventually turned out to be a bad cat. A chunk had broken off, rattled around, and finally lodged about 8 inches down inside the muffler; just about blocking the entire exhaust flow. Might not be your problem at all, but I thought I'd throw it out there for your consideration in case nothing else works.
Old 12-19-10, 08:59 AM
hovsc400
Pole Position

Look up 12v mod our cars have a fuel pump module that controls voltage to the fuel pump 9v light throttle and 12v full throttle if that fixes ur problem then the fuel module is acting up on you
Old 12-21-10, 05:15 AM
CoryJNason
Driver School Candidate

Come to think about it, I did here a little pinging in the exhaust a week ago. Know it sounds like there is a hole in the exhaust. Could that be the cat? I have tried a few bottles of fuel injector and valve cleaner.
Old 12-21-10, 08:40 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Bad MAF or driver side ignition coil?
Old 12-21-10, 10:15 AM
LunaVyohr
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CoryJNason
Come to think about it, I did here a little pinging in the exhaust a week ago. Know it sounds like there is a hole in the exhaust. Could that be the cat? I have tried a few bottles of fuel injector and valve cleaner.
If you hear pinging, it could either be an O2 sensor or a Catalytic Converter.

I still say spend the money to have an actual mechanic look at it instead of guessing and throwing parts/money at it.
Old 12-21-10, 09:22 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1992Lexus
Bad MAF or driver side ignition coil?

Check your Ignition Coils
Old 12-23-10, 10:05 PM
CoryJNason
Driver School Candidate

I have replaced the ignition coils. I am going to gut the cats until I can afford to replace them and see how that goes.. I cant afford a mechanic right now hense I asked the question in this forum. As far as the MAF, when I unplug it, the rpms go down a bit and it gives me a code of 31. Right now I only have a code of 25 after I reset the codes.
Old 12-26-10, 07:46 PM
CoryJNason
Driver School Candidate

Also, when I reset the codes, when the check engine light comes back on, so does the traction controll off light. Why is that?

Quick Reply: Sc400 Acceleration Problem