Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Wanna Power??????? From Japan???

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-08, 07:14 PM
Turbo?
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wanna Power??????? From Japan???

can i do? lol
anyways now on to the REAL import subject.
um im not 2 sure what is wrong with my power steering, it squweels like CRAZY right now, i was wondering, if anyone here has this same problem. car is a JDM Toyota Soarer with a 1jz-gte, um the car has a 150xxxkm's on it. and im think the power steering pump is done or maybe theres a leak of some sort somewhere, i see fluid everywhere and my fluid level for power steering is empty. so i need to find the leak..

Question:
What would i half to do to convert it to no power steering is it complicated, i herd you need to pull out the power steering rack and ****, or plug the lines of some sort..
And if anyone doesnt have power steering in there soarer slash SC300/400 is it really that bad? or is there a huge difference..

any suggestions
Old 03-26-08, 07:44 PM
Zeal3
Pole Position

my power steering went out one time in my sc300. and it was no fun it was really hard to turn the car to the curb.
probably should not attempt that.
Old 03-26-08, 08:00 PM
Turbo?
Pole Position

lol k thanks, but i dont think that the pump is gone i just think its leaking somewhere, ill half to double check all the line tomorow
Old 03-26-08, 08:22 PM
DreamWhoop
Driver School Candidate

lets rebuild the pump
Old 03-26-08, 08:33 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

fill it up and if it still squeals badly your pump might be going bad.

once you fill it up get a friend to turn the wheel lock to lock while you stare at the hoses. a big leak will shoot the fluid from the guilty spot everytime.
it also helps to wipe down the hoses/pump before that.
Old 03-27-08, 09:32 AM
VJZ
Lead Lap

I drove a a Celica for a few years that I removed the steering on. I was dirt broke and in HS and could not afford to fix the steering. It did, however, make that car more fun to drive.
Old 03-27-08, 10:54 AM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

From what I've known, it would be easier to turn if you had the lines coming out of the rack looped back into each other, than to just have a non-working power steering pump.

Basically, if you decide to eliminate it, loop the line back into the rack rather than capping it off or something along those lines.
Old 03-27-08, 06:38 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
fill it up and if it still squeals badly your pump might be going bad.

once you fill it up get a friend to turn the wheel lock to lock while you stare at the hoses. a big leak will shoot the fluid from the guilty spot everytime.
it also helps to wipe down the hoses/pump before that.
Make sure you wear some eye protection when you do this, i almost got squirted in the eye when i tried this lol...

i had a similar squeal and it turned out to be a small leak in one of the pressure hoses (151,000 miles btw). I filled the PS reservoir back up and the squeal went away. Try the method mentioned above. If its just a return hose you can get replacment hoses anywhere. If its a pressure hose like mine, then you can either go to a stealership and spend $400 on a new hose set or get it fixed at a shop that repairs hydraulic parts like those on construction equipment. I'm going to try this route soon as its about a $50 fix and you get a high pressure hose that will last a long time. If its a new PS pump then thats a different story...