Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

mmm...twin turbos

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-08, 09:22 PM
Konnan101
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mmm...twin turbos

so this is probably going to sound kind of dumb (I got a book on the way explaining everything turbo to me, so questions like this should disappear soon), but I'm bored and curious so I thought I'd ask...but yeah, what would happen if you had two different, non-matching, turbos on the 1uz-fe...like one small one for the low rpms and one bigger one for the higher rpms (putting one on each 4 cylinder side)...I realize the turbos would have to flow the same from an exhaust standpoint or backpressures would be different, but couldn't you theoretically have full rpm boost with two non-matching turbos?

also as far as mounting the turbos, what kind of success have people had putting them where normal headers terminate...under the car (this is a lazy question, but I'm having trouble thinking up what to search for). i assume this isn't too popular for obvious reasons, but if the space could be made couldn't this work just as well (and by just as well I mean more delayed because the air has to flow farther, but still good)?
Old 01-31-08, 12:34 AM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can't put 1 small turbo for 1 bank and 1 big for the other bank. The small turbo will be choked and the big turbo will not spool fast enough. Also, the different exhaust pulses will be conflicted and damaged to your engine. I can't go into details because it'll be very long...

There have been numerous debates about this issue. However, the big difference is that you'll need both small and big turbos on the same pipe (after merged from both banks). Then the small 1 will kick in first, but there'll be a controlling vane to close the exhaust flow to it when it reaches certain boost. Or the exhaust flow will be vented out, so it will minimize the pressure. After this stage, all of the exhaust flow will go to the main big turbo for the rest of the RPM. Anyway, there're some similar set ups like this called sequential turbo system.

Don't get bored, my friend. You can put your goal into action....
Old 01-31-08, 12:41 AM
andrewwake
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

go to mvpmotorsports.com and they have turbo/twin turbo headers that allow you to keep powersteering and ac. one of the very few companies that has done this with this much sucess.
Old 01-31-08, 09:29 AM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

Remember... "THE SHORTEST CUT IS THE LONGEST" I think these is a guy in California is coming out with an affordable twin turbo for the SC400 really soon.
Old 01-31-08, 09:35 AM
JesLet
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Lextreme
Remember... "THE SHORTEST CUT IS THE LONGEST" I think these is a guy in California is coming out with an affordable twin turbo for the SC400 really soon.
So, there will be a turbo kit for Sc400?
Old 01-31-08, 09:56 AM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

I think affordability is the key. If you have money, you can get almost anything. If a kit that is affordable and functional then its a winner. 99% of SC400 owners will be extremely happy with 400-450 rwhp. So a basic setup will do.
Old 01-31-08, 10:14 AM
c0wboy
Banned

Originally Posted by Lextreme
I think affordability is the key. If you have money, you can get almost anything. If a kit that is affordable and functional then its a winner. 99% of SC400 owners will be extremely happy with 400-450 rwhp. So a basic setup will do.
This is the first time we agree on something, David. If you're going basic with ~450HP, don't spend the cash and go with something basic. For those that want more, there's this:

The current trend seems to try and go as cheap as possible, however myself and MVP Motorsports don't follow that thought. Our aim is for as much quality as possibly with as high a quality parts as possible. If someone want a kit that'll last and not be someting that looks like it was built in the back of a garage, then contact Kevin@MVP for the kit above.

Eric
Old 01-31-08, 10:26 AM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

well said eric. not to thread jack or anything...but what is the volume of that intake plenum? for some reason it seems too small to me. maybe just the motor looks so big with all the stuff on it.

thanks a lot.
Old 01-31-08, 10:39 AM
c0wboy
Banned

I think it's that the motor looks big The plenum volume is 8.2L total.

Thanks!

Eric
Old 01-31-08, 10:55 AM
Konnan101
Pole Position

if only I had the like $8000 for that kit above...Damn college.
Old 01-31-08, 11:50 AM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by c0wboy
I think it's that the motor looks big The plenum volume is 8.2L total.

Thanks!

Eric
wow that a huge plenum!!! okay that answered my question thats definitely enough for that motor. looks small for some reason. then again the motor is huge with all the stuff on it.

just to comment on the design: the header is not equal length but there is no room in the car so its sufficient. the wastegate pipe off the ex manifold is a very good design. most people T it off at a 90 degree angle, which is not very efficient. this setup looks very good. props for good engineering and craftsmanship. there are so many kit out in the market, not necessarily for the sc400, that look nice and well packaged but dont have the proper basic design.

if i had the money and most of all a sc400 i would do this.
Old 01-31-08, 11:54 AM
JesLet
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I need 2 of these. 1 on my car and 1 on my living room

Old 01-31-08, 11:55 AM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

This is the first time we agree on something, David. If you're going basic with ~450HP, don't spend the cash and go with something basic. For those that want more, there's this:

The current trend seems to try and go as cheap as possible, however myself and MVP Motorsports don't follow that thought. Our aim is for as much quality as possibly with as high a quality parts as possible. If someone want a kit that'll last and not be someting that looks like it was built in the back of a garage, then contact Kevin@MVP for the kit above.

Eric
Awesome.. by the way.. how is the above twin turbo running?
Old 01-31-08, 12:03 PM
c0wboy
Banned

Still waiting on the widebody to get done. It's a long process but the body work is top shelf. In that time, I'm having the wheels refinished and the entire interior leather wrapped. Once the body arrives, it's a mad dash to at least get the car together enough for Texas nationals.

Eric
Old 01-31-08, 12:09 PM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

Still waiting on the widebody to get done. It's a long process but the body work is top shelf. In that time, I'm having the wheels refinished and the entire interior leather wrapped. Once the body arrives, it's a mad dash to at least get the car together enough for Texas nationals.

Eric
HMMMMM so it is NOT running yet? I see.... Anyone have this kit running yet?

Quick Reply: mmm...twin turbos