Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

2JZGE with ITBs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-07, 01:55 PM
angyll20
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2JZGE with ITBs?

Has anyone run ITBs on the 2jzge? If so what size TBs did you use? Was it a custom mounting or is there a kit(I have never seen or been able to find one)?
Old 08-04-07, 02:19 PM
ChronoJ1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't see why someone with 2jzge would go with a ITB when he can gain much more power with FI for the same or less money.
Old 08-04-07, 02:34 PM
Duckness
Lead Lap

you wont gain much.
Old 08-04-07, 09:05 PM
Arizona
Lead Lap

its been done several times(at least 5 off the top of my head)
Old 08-04-07, 09:06 PM
Arizona
Lead Lap

not worth it at all as far as a bolt on turbo kit
Old 08-05-07, 12:52 AM
SUPRMSC
Lexus Test Driver

ITBs are useless without significant headwork anyways
Old 08-05-07, 08:42 AM
simann
Pole Position

These cars are far too heavy and large for a "lack of torque" motor. You will never ever have the amount of torque that a nice bruit turbo motor could put out in a full out N/A build.

Higher compression, headwork, lightweight internals that are needed for a high horse power N/A is just not financially the smartest way with these large discplacement 6 cylinders. If you want N/A, go with a V8.

I'm sure it sounds cool and may rev to the moon, but your car wont be going anywhere quickly.
Old 08-05-07, 09:17 AM
vipsoarer
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

who says that the ITB's are for an N/A application only. I used to run ITB's in a plenum on my boosted honda. It was good for another 23 whp and made the motor much more responsive since each individual cylendar was getting almost the exact same amount of air and not starving any one cyl. I mean if its good enough for an RB26DET or Avenir SR20det then why not a supra.... just some things to think about....
Old 08-06-07, 08:02 PM
simann
Pole Position

Originally Posted by vipsoarer
who says that the ITB's are for an N/A application only.
The thread starter asked primarily about the GE motor, not the GTE.

On the basis of solely making power and torque, a large diameter throttle body with a well shaped intake plenum designed around intake port length and width and valve diameter can make just as much as any ITB set up on any naturally aspirated or turbo application and vice versa.

Some people like the complexity and sound, some people like the easy just as effective way. Boils down to personal likings really.
Old 08-06-07, 08:18 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Idrewfelix
ITBs are useless without significant headwork anyways
Bingo. ITBs on a honda are ok because Honda heads flow RIDICULOUS CFMs. So do some nissan motors.

Not JZ motors While they can make a ton of power, the heads dont flow that well considering the weight of the engine/car, etc.

It'd be much more cost effective to get a cheap turbokit and run like 7psi on stock fuel.
Old 08-07-07, 04:35 AM
angyll20
Rookie

My whole thing is I don't want to be like everyone else and go turbo just because its the easy way to make my car fast. This is my daily driver right now and I am not looking for ridiculous amounts of power or torque, just something fun to drive that sounds and looks good at the same time. Fuel efficiency is a concern and I have heard other places that ITBs can be tuned to get better gas mileage that just about any other intake system. Besides, who doesn't love the sound of ITBs???
Thank you for all the replies. They opened my eyes to a few different things.
Old 08-07-07, 10:55 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd rather have the sound of a turbo than ITBs. And you wont make your car fast NA

I never said turbocharging was easy, I said it was more cost effective. If you're fine with being slower than a Toyota Camry after all that money invested, go ahead with the ITBs.
Old 08-08-07, 02:35 AM
94lex83457
Lead Lap

there was someone on SupraForums who did this on their GE and tuned it to 270+/- whp. It sounded awesome, but the amount of money and R&D that went into it, i'm sure, was astronomical.
Old 08-08-07, 04:56 PM
JohnnyB822
Pole Position

there ar ITBs on E46 M3s and they seem to do very well with them and there are N/A, so why not a GE plus it is different
Old 08-08-07, 05:39 PM
simann
Pole Position

M3's are much more of a performance car from the ground up than the Lexus SC chassis was ever supposed to be.

Yes you can make a great N/A high power build from the GE with enough money (key word there), but i'm sure you will find yourself bored soon thereafter and looking for more power. Turbocharging in general has so many more varieties of power and expandability and flexability its just the more cost effective way to make power.

And to those that have never tinkered with tuning an N/A ITB'd high compression motor, you might not understand until you actually get to build some from the ground up and get them running properly. Weather affects ITB's greatly. Unlike their finicky carbeurated counterparts that tend to be moreso, atmosphere (the enviroment from which the air is being sucked into the motor) greatly affects the motors power potential through the seasons.

Turbocharging is a little more simple to deal with since you have a compressor to simply, at high speeds, compress the air into the combustion chambers.

This is not to bash any of your dreams or wishes. But to just give you something to think about since you are still wanting to use this car as a daily driver that has good fuel economy and minimal maintenence.

No matter what way you do it, making more power takes more fuel, takes more air, and takes more money, increases overall heat in the power and its working parts, and decreases the life of the motor.

-Jonathan