Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

98+ sc's suitable for performance mods?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-07, 11:45 PM
Raman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98+ sc's suitable for performance mods?

Hi, Im looking into buying a sc400, but after reading some posts on this site I have come to the realization that there are not a whole lot of performance mods for them. I think this was also quoted by someone in one post. The sc400 Im looking into buying is a 98 (has vvt-i) does this mean it is not as suitable for perforance mods as the older sc400's?

Im not looking for the same amount of performance mods as there would be on perhaps an acura rsx (my current car), but is it possible to obtain basic performance mods such as an intake, exhaust, and headers, etc.?

is this true for the 98+ sc300's as well?

thanks in advance.
Old 06-28-07, 12:08 AM
Sly Guy Yu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

intake:
-buy the SRT intake or K&N for a gs400 (some custom work is needed)

Exhaust:
-Custom exhaust

Headers:
-S&S fits the block, but u will need to get some custom exhaust work done

I would suggest a piggy back ecu after these mods are done, like apex afc neo.

When it comes to suspension/wheels/brakes, there is a ton.
Old 06-28-07, 04:53 AM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Raman
Hi, Im looking into buying a sc400, but after reading some posts on this site I have come to the realization that there are not a whole lot of performance mods for them. I think this was also quoted by someone in one post. The sc400 Im looking into buying is a 98 (has vvt-i) does this mean it is not as suitable for perforance mods as the older sc400's?
VVT-i really only becomes a performance hindrance in high boost applications. Boosting the V8 high enough to get into difficulties would require a full engine rebuild.

The basic performance upgrades for an SC400 (exhaust, intake, torque converter, LSD, etc) can all be done very successfully with the VVT-i SC400. Ultimately, if you want to put down earth-shattering numbers, the SC300 is probably a better platform. For the price of the basic modifications on the V8, you can have a much faster car with the 3L.

Originally Posted by Raman
Im not looking for the same amount of performance mods as there would be on perhaps an acura rsx (my current car), but is it possible to obtain basic performance mods such as an intake, exhaust, and headers, etc.?

is this true for the 98+ sc300's as well?
Most performance modifications require custom work, since the availability of an aftermarket for Lexus is small to very small. There are a couple bolt-on intakes and a couple bolt-on exhausts (for the 3L). However, with custom work needed, you offer yourself the chance to piece together a fully unique and personalized car.
Old 08-02-07, 01:08 AM
Realfresh
Rookie

Originally Posted by Sly Guy Yu
intake:
-buy the SRT intake or K&N for a gs400 (some custom work is needed)

Exhaust:
-Custom exhaust

Headers:
-S&S fits the block, but u will need to get some custom exhaust work done

I would suggest a piggy back ecu after these mods are done, like apex afc neo.

When it comes to suspension/wheels/brakes, there is a ton.
I always wondered if the SRT intake would work, could you elaborate more on the "custom work"?
Old 08-02-07, 07:48 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

dude!

vortech
Old 08-02-07, 08:16 PM
CCC-TT
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

well, in one of my magazines i read about a new product from either GReddy or HKS (cant remember), that is suposed to work with variable valve timing systems from the different manufacturers to increase performance or adjust the variable valve timing system to adjust the powerband i would assume. i dont know much about it but i figured this was a good thread to bring it up in, seems cool, i wonder if anyone has any more info about it??? but for headers and exhaust and all that, everyone has pretty much covered it
Old 08-03-07, 06:47 AM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rocessk3
well, in one of my magazines i read about a new product from either GReddy or HKS (cant remember), that is suposed to work with variable valve timing systems from the different manufacturers to increase performance or adjust the variable valve timing system to adjust the powerband i would assume. i dont know much about it but i figured this was a good thread to bring it up in, seems cool, i wonder if anyone has any more info about it??? but for headers and exhaust and all that, everyone has pretty much covered it
Its not that there is no aftermarket support for the engine .Its just the motor was not built like the older 1uz engine to withstand tons of abuse. Lexus realized they made a mistake with building the first 1uz indestructable .I dont think anybody on here ever blew up a older 1uz engine also i dont think anyone ever did a forced induction system on the vvti (a least for the sc's.)

Last edited by sc250tt; 08-03-07 at 06:50 AM.
Old 08-03-07, 11:58 AM
Instructor

98 SC300s has more mods available compared to sc400s. The mods available are not even half of the RSX but a good amount to achieve good hp.
Old 11-16-07, 12:55 AM
WDoherty
Pole Position

Srt intake has an ecu modulator in it so no need for a piggyback and in the gs400 has huge gains, so with that, headers, and torque converter you could be doing quite well. Possibly around 340hp and high to mid 13's. I've really wanted to see someone put these things together in a 98+ sc400 and see the results.
Old 11-18-07, 01:43 PM
nextlevelcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

im about to find out after this 98 engine swap,just what this motor is capable of on a small scale...i can hardly wait!
Old 11-27-07, 12:09 PM
SCV8
Instructor

Keep us posted, sounds like a great project...
Old 11-27-07, 02:38 PM
daSC4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by nextlevelcoupe
im about to find out after this 98 engine swap,just what this motor is capable of on a small scale...i can hardly wait!
Wait so you're swapping a 98+ motor into your sc400? what year is your car?
Old 11-28-07, 04:34 AM
nextlevelcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by daSC4
Wait so you're swapping a 98+ motor into your sc400? what year is your car?
i have a 95 sc400 (doing a full drivetrain swap from a 1998 sc400)
Old 05-23-09, 12:34 PM
nextlevelcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

just about completed...all mechanical work should be completed in about a week or so
Old 05-23-09, 01:26 PM
fliptrix
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts

^ooo nice, can't wait to see what you've done with it!

Quick Reply: 98+ sc's suitable for performance mods?