Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

why wont the mkiii 1jz downpipe work???

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-07, 10:44 AM
ippyness
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why wont the mkiii 1jz downpipe work???

ok i searched for like 20 mins. i cant get a straight answer on why A the mkiii 1jz downpipe will not work. B if the mk3 7m downpipe flange is the same. im making a custom exhaust so i dont care if the supra mkiii piping just runs to the wrong spot. i just want to know why it wont work. ive seen people say that the greddy 1jz pipe works. but does that include the front pipe? anyway i need a 1jz downpipe for my car. and dont really want to cut and weld anything... kinda the reason i sold my single kit(to have a kit with stockish piping and pass emmisions, and to afford my 5spd swap :P) im having an exhaust shop make a custom exhaust once i get the down pipe. anyway. any helpful info would be greatly appricated. thanks.
Old 06-20-07, 10:50 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Well since you're having custom work done they can mod the mkIII downpipe to fit. When I had stock twins on my 1J I had the shop make me a DP from scratch.
Old 06-20-07, 10:52 AM
ippyness
Pole Position

well thats the thing. i dont want to buy a downpipe im just gonna cut up. would it be better to get a mkiv downpipe and just put a new flange on it?? whats wrong with teh mkiii downpipe? does it not clear the firewall? or what?
Old 06-20-07, 05:13 PM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I recall, its the length that doesnt match up with the SC300 exhaust. I think the mkiii dp is too long which is why it would need to be modded.

But i see your doing a custom exhaust so it should work since the exhaust shop can just start where the dp ends..
Old 03-20-08, 12:31 PM
aka paco
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

i know there's alot of threads on the subjects of 1jz mk3 dp's not being proper length for SC, so i didn't make a new one but.

my question is will a mk3 y-pipe work?

i'm buying all the stuff for my 1jz swap and i really wanted to replace the factory y-pipe if i could

here's what i was looking at ordering, new y-pipe and dp assuming it's for the mk3 1jz but i figured the length wouldn't be right on the DP so i could just take it to a muffler shop and have them finish out a custom exhaust from the mk3 dp or cutting it and starting from there..

anyone have a upgrade y-pipe on stock turbo's?

yeah egay i know
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Downp...spagenameZWDVW
Old 03-21-08, 09:48 PM
ippyness
Pole Position

i had those y pipes and the standard greddy down pipe on my car, both fit. but i dont think they line up to the stock exhaust. i had a custom exhaust on my car.
Old 03-23-08, 04:48 AM
aka paco
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ippyness
i had those y pipes and the standard greddy down pipe on my car, both fit. but i dont think they line up to the stock exhaust. i had a custom exhaust on my car.

thanks! i've been wanting to get a y-pipe for my 1j and those seem to be the only one i can find, glad to hear they fit