Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

which way to go??? 1j,2jgte,na/t??

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-07, 03:25 PM
IOWNALEXUS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which way to go??? 1j,2jgte,na/t??

Right now im really confused on what i should do, i have a bone stock car with an automatic. I am swaying toward an auto. 1jz swap right now because of how easy it is to do/find, i had thought about doing a 2jzgte swap from an aristo because there is so many damn 1jz's around here id like to be different, but then i think that i could do na/t and have a badass car for the same amount of money i would have in a swap but the only thing holding me back is that i dont think the stock tranny will hold up. each one has its +/- so i am stuck as to which one to go with.

I would like a 5-speed however i know the W-58's are kind of weak and R154's are like trying to find a needle in a haystack especially for the SC, which is why i chose an automatic because i know how much easier/cheaper a swap is to find. My goal is around 500-600whp and high 11's to low 12's at the track with A/C and reliable enough to drive daily.

please point me in the right direction guys!
Old 04-23-07, 03:29 PM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by INEEDANSC3
Right now im really confused on what i should do, i have a bone stock car with an automatic. I am swaying toward an auto. 1jz swap right now because of how easy it is to do/find, i had thought about doing a 2jzgte swap from an aristo because there is so many damn 1jz's around here id like to be different, but then i think that i could do na/t and have a badass car for the same amount of money i would have in a swap but the only thing holding me back is that i dont think the stock tranny will hold up. each one has its +/- so i am stuck as to which one to go with.

I would like a 5-speed however i know the W-58's are kind of weak and R154's are like trying to find a needle in a haystack especially for the SC, which is why i chose an automatic because i know how much easier/cheaper a swap is to find. My goal is around 500-600whp and high 11's to low 12's at the track with A/C and reliable enough to drive daily.

please point me in the right direction guys!
Go with NA/T. It will be cheaper with more or less the same results. You can still do a head swap, shortblock swap, etc etc.

Chris
Old 04-23-07, 04:42 PM
IOWNALEXUS
Lexus Test Driver

That leaves me with the tranny problem, how do i get the tranny to hold up without spending an arm and a leg on a rebuild, at least if i went 1jz the tranny would hold up to bpu for a while.
Old 04-23-07, 05:45 PM
atekt
Lexus Test Driver

Well I say go 1jz.... The powerband on these engines are insane. I am obsessed with them. As for the tranny problems on the Na-t there are alot of options. Like the BL auto or Th400 Etc....
Old 04-23-07, 06:00 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That leaves me with the tranny problem, how do i get the tranny to hold up without spending an arm and a leg on a rebuild, at least if i went 1jz the tranny would hold up to bpu for a while.
can anyone comment on the difference in power capacity from the stock SC300 auto tranny? the stock SC400 auto tranny? the stock 1JZ auto tranny?

I have always been curious about this...
Old 04-23-07, 06:36 PM
DIrEctQL

The NA transmission can be built more than the turbo version. If you want reliability you will have to spend good money on either a 6 speed or TH400.

Chris
Old 04-23-07, 06:37 PM
DIrEctQL

Originally Posted by atekt
Well I say go 1jz.... The powerband on these engines are insane. I am obsessed with them. As for the tranny problems on the Na-t there are alot of options. Like the BL auto or Th400 Etc....
Sure 1JZ is good... but why not go with 2JZ and have more power.

Chris
Old 04-23-07, 06:38 PM
PsiQo1
Lead Lap

I personally would go NA-T...
Old 04-23-07, 06:39 PM
DIrEctQL

Originally Posted by Blizzy
can anyone comment on the difference in power capacity from the stock SC300 auto tranny? the stock SC400 auto tranny? the stock 1JZ auto tranny?

I have always been curious about this...
With built NA transmission you can increase the line pressure more than the turbo version.
Old 04-23-07, 08:17 PM
vg7z
Rookie

I would save up a lil bit and go 2j. Ive got a 1j, but I wished I woulda gone 2j just for the power potential
Old 04-23-07, 08:59 PM
skpark70
Lexus Champion

NA-T but Im biase....
Try http://www.clubna-t.com/forums/ for more info...
Old 04-23-07, 11:26 PM
booja
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by atekt
i dont think the 1j power band is that great...

the 2j's powerbands are much better.

the 1j has a higher rev but makes power and tq later than a 2j would. not only that a 2j makes more tq and power overall.

to me alot of 1j's have dynos like turbo hondas do.... i like early tq and power... a tuned 2j with a 63-67mm turbo could spool 400whp at about 4000-4500rpm... a 1j cant do that til about 5500... ive seen only a handful that have
Old 04-24-07, 05:24 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

The 1J will be the cheapest option to begin with but those stock twins won't take you too far past 300rwhp. NA-T is a good option also just make sure you do it right get quality parts and a good tune of course. 2JZGTE is the best option but will cost the most initially but those stock twins(US Spec) can definately get you the power and et's you want. I'm not really familiar with auto trannies but I've always heard good things about the BL Built Tranny and the TH400. SP Racing just came out with the 4L80E auto tranny kit for the Supra it supposedly hold upward of a 1000HP and costs around $7.5K. I would say 2jzgte for the long run but sooner or later you'll want to go single and get more power I guarantee that ha ha.
Old 04-24-07, 05:51 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

I have seen many guys including myself start a turbo project and say well I only want X horsepower. So they often go the more economical route/solution. Then 12 months later or sooner in many cases they decide they want more, but since they went the economy route they are stuck and wind up having to do the whole thing over again but this time they spend the money to do it big. My point here is that if you are going to do it, you should probably do it in a manner where you will not have to spend the same money twice if you decide to go bigger later on. That means 2jz.

I have never seen a guy regret over building a car, but I have heard many people regret under building it.
Old 04-25-07, 12:44 PM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2jz NA-T!! For a while I was stuck with the same decision but decided to go NA-T.

~Josh