Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.
View Poll Results: What way to go with my exhaust?
Dual Apex N1 cans with 2.5" piping
17.65%
Magnaflow 18429 with 2.5" piping
76.47%
Single exit Apex GT spec can with 3" piping
5.88%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

In need of some opinions *exhaust*

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-07, 10:00 AM
TheRonTom3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In need of some opinions *exhaust*

Ok guys I am far from a ricer although I was a previous Honda owner. I owned a Granada Black pearl EG pretty much a pure track car. I finally got my dream car a 97 diamond white pearl SC400 and now I am completely torn on what to do exhaust wise. I mean COMPLETELY torn. I don't know whether to go with 2 Apex n1 cans or the Magnaflow 18429s. I was wondering if anyone has a can style muffler on there 1uz-fe cause I'm not looking for ridiculously loudbut I kinda feel like a Japanese super car should run a more japanese looking exhaust. I was also thinking about doing a single left side exit 3 in piped can. Has anyone done this on a v8 and what the sound like?

just for sh!#s and giggles heres the honda... I miss it but not power wise.
Old 02-21-07, 10:14 AM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The cans will definitely rock the neighborhood on the 1UZ if you gut the third cat/resonator from the center of the exhaust system.

3" piping is large enough for a 500hp engine and would not present the exhaust gases a confined enough space to be pulled through the exhaust efficicently. You will destroy your low end torque with such piping. In addition, with a larger pipe, the sound from your engine is less deflected and louder than it would be otherwise. Your car would pull like a bat out of hell from 8-10k rpms...if only that were possible.

2.5" piping is actually still a bit large. It would harm your low end torque at the expense of being able to pull very hard to the redline. Exhaust gases would still scatter and not flow at maximum speed through the system. Your car would pull well up top, but your driveability would suffer some with larger pipe and less "get-up and go" power.

2.25" piping is largely considered ideal for the 1UZ because it is the smallest pipe that is ensured of presenting no back pressure at the top end due to being undersized. It would present balance to your exhaust system, as well as tone down the exhaust noise moreso so that you would be able to put the cans on and not wake the neighbors as much as your would have with bigger piping.

It sounds like you prefer cans. With that being the case, I would suggest 2.25" piping because it is properly sized for a dual exhaust on a 250+hp engine. The smaller pipe would also deafen the sound enough to perhaps being the exhaust note through the cans to a more bearable level. You now have twice the engine of your old civic. Twice the combustion means twice the sound, etc etc.

If you insist on 2.5" piping, I would go with a muffler that would offer some sound forgiveness because you risk being obnoxiously loud. A number of CL guys have 2.5" piping with the 14289 Magnaflow and most have nothing but good things. When you mash it, the engine screams.
Old 02-21-07, 10:29 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

I voted for the magnaflows because I like that huge canister style like Greddy SP, Apexi WS etc... The bullet style like N1's don't do it for me.
Old 02-21-07, 10:36 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Originally Posted by Blizzy
The cans will definitely rock the neighborhood on the 1UZ if you gut the third cat/resonator from the center of the exhaust system.

3" piping is large enough for a 500hp engine and would not present the exhaust gases a confined enough space to be pulled through the exhaust efficicently. You will destroy your low end torque with such piping. In addition, with a larger pipe, the sound from your engine is less deflected and louder than it would be otherwise. Your car would pull like a bat out of hell from 8-10k rpms...if only that were possible.

2.5" piping is actually still a bit large. It would harm your low end torque at the expense of being able to pull very hard to the redline. Exhaust gases would still scatter and not flow at maximum speed through the system. Your car would pull well up top, but your driveability would suffer some with larger pipe and less "get-up and go" power.

2.25" piping is largely considered ideal for the 1UZ because it is the smallest pipe that is ensured of presenting no back pressure at the top end due to being undersized. It would present balance to your exhaust system, as well as tone down the exhaust noise moreso so that you would be able to put the cans on and not wake the neighbors as much as your would have with bigger piping.

It sounds like you prefer cans. With that being the case, I would suggest 2.25" piping because it is properly sized for a dual exhaust on a 250+hp engine. The smaller pipe would also deafen the sound enough to perhaps being the exhaust note through the cans to a more bearable level. You now have twice the engine of your old civic. Twice the combustion means twice the sound, etc etc.

If you insist on 2.5" piping, I would go with a muffler that would offer some sound forgiveness because you risk being obnoxiously loud. A number of CL guys have 2.5" piping with the 14289 Magnaflow and most have nothing but good things. When you mash it, the engine screams.

Well put Blizzy!

Also, I would receommend AGAINST the single exhaust. The 1UZ doesn't breathe the best on the exhaust side to start. A single may hamper it further. Plus V8's are just downright cooler with duals!!
Old 02-21-07, 10:41 AM
1jzJzz30
Driver

Not to jump on the bandwagon here but I say dual magnaflows looks classy and sounds beastly like a v-8 should. Leave the single exhaust to us 3.0 and below.
Old 02-21-07, 10:53 AM
TheRonTom3
Lexus Test Driver

Awesome Info Blizzy. I was thinking the 3" cause running into a single exit i figured you would want to increase size. IF 2.25" is optimal thats awesome cause that means minimal work.

As for cans versus oval I'm just torn. The magnaflows look awesome and I have seen some cans that looks great too(especially the real Ti ones). I'm not going cheap at any price but I'm just really torn. The cans I'd do would be 2.25"inlet with 4"outlet. Since we all know this is not a huge horsepower adder if anything its sound and looks those are the opinions I'm mainly looking for. I love the stock sound just would enjoy it if it was more audible. For me ridiculously loud is the exhaust that was on my hatch 2"primaries to a 2.5" collector into a 2.5"minimal bend Apex n1 version one exhaust. Wide open the car broke 125db at the track on a straight away. Thats Loud, but like I said it was a trck car.....that i still drove on the road haha.
Old 02-21-07, 12:18 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

dual 14829 with 2.25 and x pipe
Old 02-21-07, 12:44 PM
TheRonTom3
Lexus Test Driver

where is a good place to get an x pipe from
Old 02-21-07, 04:20 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Please Use The Engine Forum
Old 02-21-07, 10:17 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TheRonTom3
As for cans versus oval I'm just torn.
If you like/want cans, then get them. I am certain that if you search, there are many threads that invoked dozens of exhaust set-ups with pictures. You can see what you like the best. Do what you think looks best, trust your gut, and I bet you will be satisfied.

Again, I would strongly consider 2.25" piping. Dual pipes on a 260hp doesn't take much to let the thing breathe.

As for X-pipes, Magnaflow makes some damn popular products. Their products all present good value for exhaust products. I am certain they make a 2.25" X-pipe that would fit easily behind the tranny in the stock location of the 3rd cat/resonator.

Ultimately, with all your mods, don't lose sight of the fact that you have a Lexus. Tune it proud. Not only is Lexus not Honda, it's not even Toyota, its a Luxury EXport to the US for Toyota. Do it well.

Good luck with the exhaust upgrade. Be certain to share video when it is complete so that you can show off and we can enjoy your new set-up.
Old 02-22-07, 12:54 AM
jgdynamics
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

how much do these 14829's go for?
Old 02-22-07, 12:02 PM
C-Thrilla
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the look of magna flows, Classy I 'm waiting toget mine put on. /my town sucks for exhaust shops. I like the honda I have a couple too. CRx and hatch
Old 02-22-07, 11:36 PM
Sc1UZ-FE
Rookie

Go on youtube.com and see other people setup.
Old 02-22-07, 11:52 PM
CLNSC3
Lexus Test Driver

Nice EG hatch! I have always been a fan of single exit, thats what I had on my SC...