Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

True Dual Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-02, 05:16 PM
mayandoom
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default True Dual Exhaust

Anybody here actually do a TRUE DUAL exhaust setup on the GS400? It is a very easy process considering it is dual to the center X-PIPE out to a dual again. My only concern would be resonance in the car from eliminating the center resonator,low end loss, and any effect on the computer.

Let me know the details including which resonators you left on if any and also any feedback on sound, roar, power if any.
As I will be going to a supercharger setup soon , I am exploring all possibilities.
Thanks in advance guys.

Last edited by mayandoom; 02-21-02 at 12:17 AM.
Old 02-21-02, 12:10 AM
itsallgood
Lead Lap

I was considering on making my car a true dual exhaust. So I asked my freind who works at a exhaust shop and he recomended not doing it for the fact that I would loose low to mid range torque. But I did remove the small muffler in the middle of the x pipe, and the exhaust tune did become louder, but not to loud. As for power I really didn't feel the difference. Hope this helps in your decision on your exhaust.

Aloha
Old 02-27-02, 08:18 PM
GS400_PUSHER
Lexus Champion

Yeah you will loose low end torque....better known as take off power.
Old 02-27-02, 10:20 PM
ShowGSLuVv
Lexus Test Driver

I thought the GS does have "True" dual exaust, I can see the pipes lead all the way to the engine, how would it change if it was true dual exaust?

ShOwGS
Old 02-27-02, 10:41 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by ShowGSLuVv
I thought the GS does have "True" dual exaust, I can see the pipes lead all the way to the engine, how would it change if it was true dual exaust?

ShOwGS
well the GS300 does look like it's a true dual-exhaust... it has 2 headers, 2 downpipes (looks like they're sticked together to look like 1), then 1 big hole joining downpipe and midpipe, then 2 mid-pipes and 2 mufflers. Does it really have to be 2 separate individual exhaust starting from the header to count as dual exhaust? How many cars have that?

I think as long as they're not just separated after the midpipe (ala Accord V6 and 3.2 TL) then they're all real dual exhausts considering the splitted midpipe.
Old 02-28-02, 01:41 PM
ShowGSLuVv
Lexus Test Driver

Well then in that case doesn't the GS430/400 have true dual exaust? Because i can see it has two pipes that go down on bothsides of the car and they both start on opposite sides of the engine, so I dont know how they connect it at that point, but does the GS have true dual exaust or no? thanks

ShOwGS
Old 02-28-02, 02:49 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the GS4 isn't

its like an X

2 coming from each exhaust bank to meat at the catilic converter... then the a Y-pipe and seperate rear section mufflers.
Old 02-28-02, 07:12 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by LexusRules
the GS4 isn't

its like an X

2 coming from each exhaust bank to meat at the catilic converter... then the a Y-pipe and seperate rear section mufflers.
isn't the GS300 like that also
Old 03-01-02, 05:09 AM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

kinda.... the headers are the 1998 and 2000+ are different.

the headers i got are 2 pcs... on is 6 - 2 and the other (downpipe u can buy from hiro) is a 2 - 1 that goes to the cat... not really and X configuration but it does go 2-1 the 1-2
Old 03-01-02, 10:01 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

kinda.... the headers are the 1998 and 2000+ are different.

the headers i got are 2 pcs... on is 6 - 2 and the other (downpipe u can buy from hiro) is a 2 - 1 that goes to the cat... not really and X configuration but it does go 2-1 the 1-2
the headers are 6-2 yeah, and the downpipe hiro sell is actually an X-config. It's 2 pipes from the header, and don't join until the end.
Old 03-01-02, 01:36 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

exactly

but usually X-Config layout is exhauyst from each side of the engine.
Old 03-01-02, 11:06 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

exactly

but usually X-Config layout is exhauyst from each side of the engine.
it doesn't have to be a true "X" shape. As long as it's splitted into 2 pipes from the header, connected at CAT, then separated again, it's X.

Just like how most Y pipes out there looks like V.
Old 10-02-02, 02:45 AM
roenick7
Driver

just got duel exhaust. got rid of the "X" and resistor 2" all the way to the 2.5" RMM mufflers. Ordered new cats because i cut the old ones up and used the flanges for a 2.5" pipe inlieu of the cat for race day when I run 104 or 110 racing gas.

kinda loud under foot ("mustangish" if you will, quiet as a mouse at cruise.
Apexi rev/speed which was tuned says I picked up 20-28hp @ rear wheels depending how hot it is. 104 degrees it read 267 @ 66 degrees it was 279 same spot same spead and gear.

RWHP Yes I know the factors involved in the Apexi and I have spent well over 1000.00 @ the dyno for "this and that" and yes it was an accurate reading . next dyno is in 3 to 4 weeks I will post the jpeg and have a write up.
Old 10-02-02, 03:49 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

roenick, did you take any pictures? Do you not have an H or an X crossover in the system? Usually, the H will add low end torque without hurting top power and mellow the exhaust tone, an X will usually perform slightly better than an H (assuming correct construction of each) and create an "exotic" note to the exhaust that is quieter than no crossover at all.

Do you have a before and after dyno sheet to compare the entire power curve? I understand that peak power is up, very encouraging and consistent with the looks of the stock stuff, BUT is low end power effected either up or down?

Thanks for all the cutting edge work, testing and info sharing!
Old 10-02-02, 07:19 PM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Question have a question about exhaust

i am having my greddy exhaust put on hopefully before the lexington meet, and you all brought up the conversation about dual exhaust. any suggestions on what i should do with my greddy, will leaving it alone and putting it as it is be the best thing to do? The person i am having work on it is a professional in my book and i was curious what some of you guys would recommend. thanks bryan

Quick Reply: True Dual Exhaust