Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

I know, I know, but I really need help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-07, 10:58 PM
redbarron
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I know, I know, but I really need help!

The GTE is considered stronger, it was made for turbo(s) and therefore it has a lower compression and stronger internals. However, there are not many differences between the 2JZ-GT and GTE engines. The stock transmission can easily handle 500hp (so I am told,) but I am not sure how much torture a 78k mile engine can handle (current milage on my SC.) I am guessing that a turbo kit should be no problem. Now, I can turbo my current engine right now, and test the reliability (it is a very strong engine,) and if all fails, I can easily find another 2JZ-GT engine for under 1K because all of the SC, GS, an IS owners have swapped their GT for a 2JZ-GTE engine. This is great because if I would ever have to toss in a new engine, nothing would need to be changed (simple plug and play.)

However, a turbo kit and a install with a good EMS and tuning will more than likely run me between 6k-7k. I belive that Toyomoto makes a great kit for the SC300 that runs somewhere between 5-6k (depending on the stage.) Now, that is just the price of the kit. I will neen a EMS, tuning, dyno, and a custom exhaust. Eh, let's say it is going to cost me $7,500. Not too bad.

A 2JZ-GTE swap will run at around 15k. I wouldn't mind saving $7,500. That could buy me mulitple engines after my initial one blows! Or, a nice set of wheels and suspension upgrades. Or, an added 6 speed swap along with the tubo.

The 2JZ-GTE is pretty much a HP beast. That isn't for me, because, I am not looking to make 900hp like some of these Supra guys. I just want a respetable, fun-to-drive daily driver. Anyone who gets a GTE goes single turbo anyways.

What should I do? The single turbo right now on my current engine, or continue to save up for the GTE swap? If I do swap in a GTE, I do not have to go crazy with it, I can make a respectable 400hp and have a strong engine.
Old 02-07-07, 08:53 AM
Turbocoop
Rookie

You can make 500hp with your 2jz-ge fairly easily. Its fine with 78K miles on it, thats relatively low IMO. You dont need to spend $7500 to get that much power either. Get an XSpower or DaveH kit from clubna-t.com, buy a standalone fuel management system, clutch, and some other stuff... thats gonna be like $4000, then another $500 for tuning and youve got youre 500+hp with $$$ left over.
Old 02-07-07, 09:47 AM
vipsoarer
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not to be a **** but my best advice is for you to do more research because a lot of your fact are distorted or just plain wrong.The motors have almost exact same strength and power handling abilities along with swaps costing no where near 15k for a stock gte swap, search here or go to supraforums to get more info. The only reason I say this is because if you do go na-t or swap, you may run into issues that you wish you had a better understanding of before you made your purchases. Again im only trying to help save you time and $$, its your choice to what you want/need out of the car along with if YOU will be happy with it. Good luck and defn do a ton more reading.
Old 02-07-07, 12:59 PM
redbarron
Rookie

I am estimating 15K for a top-notch GTE swap. Upgraded turbos, tranny, etc.
Old 02-07-07, 01:22 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 229 Likes on 173 Posts

stock W58 will NOT EVER handle 500 horses...I don't even think it will reliably handle 400 horse
Old 02-07-07, 03:27 PM
ef9
Driver

FWIW, my W58 has been holding up to 450ish WHP for 4 months now. A handfull of 140mph pulls and LOTS of test rides for friends. Also there was a guy on Supraforums making 500+ through a W58 and it held together for over two years. I know its not going to last forever, but its not showing any signs of giving up yet.
Old 02-07-07, 04:50 PM
Sc400Red95
Driver

Yo RED- The GTE and GE ! are physically the same. The only really big difference are the materials use for the internals. The GTE has forged internals. Yes i said forged. I have proof that the GTE has forged pistons.. Not so sure about the rod. But the pistons are forged. On the Ge I don't believe they are. Other than that. The block is different in the since of the oil galley's. Since the turbos need oil too. Toyota and Yamaha took that into consideration.
Old 02-17-07, 01:03 PM
98mkiv
Rookie

Originally Posted by Sc400Red95
Yo RED- The GTE and GE ! are physically the same. The only really big difference are the materials use for the internals. The GTE has forged internals. Yes i said forged. I have proof that the GTE has forged pistons.. Not so sure about the rod. But the pistons are forged. On the Ge I don't believe they are. Other than that. The block is different in the since of the oil galley's. Since the turbos need oil too. Toyota and Yamaha took that into consideration.

93-97 GE and GTE motors have the same crank and rods. Block is the same, but is machined differently for oil squirters on the GTE> The slugs are the same material (pressure cast aluminum) but are different CR/shape between the two.

By the way, my snowblower has a forged rod. Most rods are forged. Cranks, maybe not.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 02-18-07, 01:55 PM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do a compression/leak down test on your 78k mile engine. if all is good. slap an na-t kit on that baby and hit the road!