Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Two specific issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-07, 06:22 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Two specific issues

First off, I want to always thank everyone on this forum. Since joining, I have learned so much about my SC400 and cars in general.

I have a 96 SC400 with just over 60k miles. It has been dealer maintained since day one. I have been the second owner of the vehicle for the past three months. I love the car. It is amazing.

Two specific questions:
(1) After turning off and exiting my car, I have always noticed a metallic creaking or cracking noise coming from under the car. It is a slight noise, barely audible from 15 feet away from the car. It is by no means a shocking or alarming sound. After getting on my hands and knees in the garage yesterday, I noticed that the sound appeared to be coming from the exhaust system somewhere between the exhaust headers and the first pair of mufflers. It sounds to me as if the exhaust pipe is being cold shocked because of the temperature difference between the inside of the pipe and the outside air. However, I have heard this creaking noise in both 70- and 15-degree weather. Does anyone have any ideas as to what may be causing this sound? Is this type of sound common? Is this expected from a 10 year old exhaust system? Is there a fix for this?

(2) Since I was driving home tonight amidst our first ice storm of the year, I decided to test out the ABS once I made it into the housing edition and the roads were straight and clear. The ABS was amazing, but I noticed that the headlights dimmed once the ABS was engaged, returning to normal once disengaged. I assume this means there is not enough current flowing through my OEM battery (Dated Aug 2002) to supply sufficient power to both the ABS system and the headlights. Is this normal? Is this to be expected from a 4+ year old Lexus battery? Is there a quick fix? Are there other car batteries that capacitate better charge flow throughout the car's electrical system?

I appreciate any help that can be offered. Due to the nature of both items, I am not alarmed by either. However, I do not want to ignore something that may end up becoming a serious issue nor do I want to be uncertain as to what is involved with each problem.

Thanks-
Blizzy
Old 01-18-07, 07:06 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty
Senior Moderator

Received 76 Likes on 39 Posts

My exhaust "Pops" and "crackles" too.

No big deal.

I've never had to use my ABS so the power thing is news to me.
Old 01-19-07, 08:01 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

The exhaust "popping" is normal and is even mentioned in the owners manual.

As for the headlights. I don't think it's normal to have the headlights dim. I don't recall ever seeing mine dim, but to be honest I haven't paid much attention to that. I'll have to check.

Bring your battery to a Pep Boys for a free test. Also, there could be a bad ground somewhere.
Old 01-19-07, 08:08 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Def. get the battery tested, but keep in mind, the ABS unit draws some serious current, seems like it either has a 60 or 100 amp fuse on it...

Might not be too abnormal for the headlights to dim briefly while the ABS unit is in action...
Old 01-19-07, 02:35 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mkorsu
The exhaust "popping" is normal and is even mentioned in the owners manual.

As for the headlights. I don't think it's normal to have the headlights dim. I don't recall ever seeing mine dim, but to be honest I haven't paid much attention to that. I'll have to check.

Bring your battery to a Pep Boys for a free test. Also, there could be a bad ground somewhere.
Had no idea about the exhaust popping being normal. I am glad I don't have to worry about that anymore.

I will head to Pep Boys have them test me out. I am hopeful the lights dimming slightly was simply a product of the ABS needing so damn much power. But, I am much better safe than sorry with the temps in the teens by the time the sun goes down.

ps. I am planning the OLT Headlight DIY this weekend. I think that should help my lighting the road. I have condensation all over the place in there.
Old 01-20-07, 02:43 AM
0l33l
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exhaust sound is the catalytic converter cooling down.

As far as the lights are dimming... have the grounds checked.
Old 01-20-07, 08:53 AM
Turbocoop
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah mine makes the same "creaking" noise after I turn it off. No big deal all cars do it, if they have a cat at least.
Old 01-20-07, 07:02 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Turbocoop
yeah mine makes the same "creaking" noise after I turn it off. No big deal all cars do it, if they have a cat at least.
My 1993 Ford Taurus GL (the only other car I have owned) did not make the popping noises. Perhaps I never had enough exhaust flow to cause such an occurance. The speedo was maxxed out at 85.

Old 01-20-07, 07:19 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I think it has to do with dissimilar metals cooling at different rates... now, which parts of our stock exhaust are what, I have no clue, but, it's a theory... (maybe the exhaust pipe is different metal than the heat shield?)