Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

How to minimize higway noise with exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-07, 03:10 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How to minimize higway noise with exhaust?

I have read accounts, seemingly countless in number and sporadic in location, where drivers claim that an exhaust upgrade has their car actually runs quieter on the highway by eliminating any drone that was previously present. What would accomplish this in an SC400?

I have read equally many accounts of drivers claiming their car is annoyingly loud on the highway. What can be done to an SC400 avoid this?

In every case, the drivers were trying to get a truer sound from their V8. It is just that one group made a beast of a highway cruiser and the other made a gentle giant. Is there a magic exhaust recipie out there?

----------
From my readings, I am struggling to accumulate a list of consistencies between the cars in each group. Some claim headers eliminate all droning at highway speeds. Other claim headers make the car louder in all scenarios. Some claim straight-through mufflers are annoyingly loud at low rpms. Others claim straight-through muffers are only loud when putting the power down.

Alas, I am confused. I am asking help from the exhaust experts to iron out the inconsistencies in opinion and help me make sense of it all.
Old 01-24-07, 03:28 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is it that you're looking for? You haven't mentioned increased performance or gas mileage so i'll assume that's not what you're after. Do you want to change the exhaust so it'll sound different, but you don't want it louder? Or do you want it louder but don't want any droning?
Old 01-24-07, 03:31 PM
vince1128
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive heard u gotta get you gotta get a new sunroof seal
Old 01-24-07, 04:16 PM
SUPRMSC
Lexus Test Driver

High quality resonators. They do wonders; my sc is as quiet as stock.
Old 01-24-07, 04:29 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lex Luthor
What is it that you're looking for? You haven't mentioned increased performance or gas mileage so i'll assume that's not what you're after. Do you want to change the exhaust so it'll sound different, but you don't want it louder? Or do you want it louder but don't want any droning?
I was simply not trying to overwhelm the post. I guess I just made my questions unanswerable.

For my goals, I would like to:
- hear the V8 more above 3k rpms.
- increase performance.
- not sacrifice low end torque.
- have no highway droning.
- maintain a stock dB level -albeit with a deeper tone- under 3k rpms.

Ideas?
Old 01-24-07, 09:36 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,256 Likes on 997 Posts

Originally Posted by Idrewfelix
High quality resonators. They do wonders; my sc is as quiet as stock.
Who makes these and where can you get them ?
Old 01-24-07, 09:49 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Once you've done what you want/can with the source of the noise, you can minimize the amount you hear by removing the rear seat and applying sound-deadening mat, like DynoMat or RAAMmat.

For more details, do an advanced search on my name and RAAMmat.

Old 01-25-07, 09:37 AM
T-Lex
Driver School Candidate

for decent exhaust notes, i suggest magnaflow.
my old s13 was running a twin tip magnaflow muffler, and a 22 inch resonator and it sounded stock at idle. it didnt get loud till almost exactly 3k rpm, and when it did it sounded fantastic. deep, not ricey at all. and that says a lot when the reso and muffler can make a 4 banger with 2.5in. exhaust sound good.
now that i think about it though, from 3-4k rpm, if you werent accelerating, just holding the rev, it was the most quiet (aside from idle). Thankfully, on the s13, thats highway cruising RPM.
Old 01-25-07, 12:43 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by T-Lex
for decent exhaust notes, i suggest magnaflow.
my old s13 was running a twin tip magnaflow muffler, and a 22 inch resonator and it sounded stock at idle. it didnt get loud till almost exactly 3k rpm, and when it did it sounded fantastic.
I definitely have done my reading, and I notice that Magnaflow is largely the muffler of choice on this forum.

I am more concerned about what can be done to the entire exhaust set-up to avoid making the car intolerable for highway trips. If my exhaust set-up is going to be louder at all, I want to make sure that there is no unnecessary noise whatsoever when cruising. What are the measures to accomplish this within the exhaust?
Old 01-26-07, 12:56 PM
SCV8
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Save your $, and just replace the tubing from just before the front "Y", and just after the rear "Y", use a short crossover tube where the front "T" used to be. This will give a very nice, low note, and better performance too.
The factory mufflers are straight through, like a Magnaflow, and are very well made.
This will eliminate the single, center resonator, and single tubing, making the system a true dual, w/crossover.