Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

2 Transmission questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-07, 08:30 PM
GarrettSC
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 Transmission questions

I searched but could not find the exact answers.

Question 1: My car has 165k on it and I am pretty sure the transmission has never been flushed, I work and Jiffy Lube (laugh all you want) and they say no more than 100k for automatics, are they wrong? Is it safe to do it?

Question 2: How does the PWR/ETC button work and what does it do to the transmission mechanicly?
Old 01-05-07, 07:22 AM
labmd
Driver School Candidate

Answer 2: With PWR on it makes your transmission shift later. If you hit the kickdown switch, it doesn't make a difference if PWR is on or not. But I'm not 100% sure of any of that.
Old 01-05-07, 08:11 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

be wary of flushing autos with higher mileage...

just drain and fill, make sure you use Amsoil or Toyota typet-iv
Old 01-05-07, 09:00 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Amsoil ATF is excellent stuff...too bad I cannot get it down here or even import it without red tape.

With the PWR button on, my 1/4 mile times go a peak faster at least .1 to .150.

I would not flush the ATF. Instead, do 3 drain and fills over the course of 3 weeks. Flushing the ATF in the condition you described could 'shock' the tranny.
Old 01-12-07, 10:47 AM
labmd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexmex
And you run with the OD off. Then maybe PWR does more for the car and/or your psyche. With OD off you can't get into 4th/OD, right?

According to my el cheapo service manual regarding the A340E transmission, I was wrong. The difference between kick-down with NORM verse kick-down with PWR is only (regarding shift points) from 3rd gear to OD, 106-110mph vs. 111-116mph. Bottom line: if you want to go fast, hit PWR. It can only help.
Old 01-12-07, 10:51 AM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

where can i get amsoil to buy
Old 01-14-07, 01:06 PM
AKauto
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GarrettSC

Question 1: My car has 165k on it and I am pretty sure the transmission has never been flushed, I work and Jiffy Lube (laugh all you want) and they say no more than 100k for automatics, are they wrong? Is it safe to do it?
trany flushes are to be done every 30k, if you think the car has never had a flush done you can expect clogged valve bodies at the least
Old 01-14-07, 03:11 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by labmd
And you run with the OD off. Then maybe PWR does more for the car and/or your psyche. With OD off you can't get into 4th/OD, right?

According to my el cheapo service manual regarding the A340E transmission, I was wrong. The difference between kick-down with NORM verse kick-down with PWR is only (regarding shift points) from 3rd gear to OD, 106-110mph vs. 111-116mph. Bottom line: if you want to go fast, hit PWR. It can only help.
The highest gear I get into on my 1/4 mile runs are the 3rd, crossing the line roughly about 75 to 76 mph, keeping in mind that I am at high altitude. RX300 has some different ratios of course than other Lexus vehicles.

Amsoil's website www.amsoil.com lists distributors (though they have none down here. )
Old 01-14-07, 03:18 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by AKauto
trany flushes are to be done every 30k, if you think the car has never had a flush done you can expect clogged valve bodies at the least
wow, re read your manual...

trans fluid drain and fill at 30 or 60k, no flush...

in fact, power flushing the trans is not listed as a recommended service in ANY owners manual I've ever seen...
Old 01-15-07, 12:47 AM
Blu92SC4
Rookie

I was looking at the amsoil website but I didn't know which one we could use for our cars.
For the Type IV at my local Lexus dealer they were quoting me about $8 per quart.
Old 01-15-07, 01:26 AM
$C300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So Flushing the Trans isnt a good idea? Just drain and fill? Btw my tranns has got 222K on it

Last edited by $C300; 01-15-07 at 01:35 AM.
Old 01-15-07, 08:25 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by $C300
So Flushing the Trans isnt a good idea? Just drain and fill? Btw my tranns has got 222K on it
I honestly don't know why anyone would ever flush the trans... It's easier, cheaper, and gets the job done just by draining and filling it...
Old 01-22-07, 01:47 AM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Amsoil ATF is excellent stuff...too bad I cannot get it down here or even import it without red tape.

I would not flush the ATF. Instead, do 3 drain and fills over the course of 3 weeks. Flushing the ATF in the condition you described could 'shock' the tranny.
Why do you think flushing the tranny with high mileage will "shock" the tranny? I completely flushed my tranny at 135,000 miles and it ran a lot better than before. The tranny shifts a lot smoother and quicker than before. When I flushed it, the fluid smelled like overcooked BBQ. The person who helped me did the job was a 22 years of tranmission veteran and he totally recommeded this flush. I feel the same way, too. Now, my SC has 147,000 and it's still smooth and strong. I stronly recommend flushing the tranny, no matter how high mileage it is. It has no bad effect on the tranny whatsoever.

The ECT button will make the car a little faster, because it delays shifting. I've turned this ECT button on all the time.
Old 01-22-07, 07:37 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by stevechumo
Why do you think flushing the tranny with high mileage will "shock" the tranny? I completely flushed my tranny at 135,000 miles and it ran a lot better than before. The tranny shifts a lot smoother and quicker than before. When I flushed it, the fluid smelled like overcooked BBQ. The person who helped me did the job was a 22 years of tranmission veteran and he totally recommeded this flush. I feel the same way, too. Now, my SC has 147,000 and it's still smooth and strong. I stronly recommend flushing the tranny, no matter how high mileage it is. It has no bad effect on the tranny whatsoever.
You've obviously never seen a transmission fail shortly after a trans power flush... I have. High mileage transmissions don't always fare well with a trans power flush.

Just because it works for your car doesn't mean it will work for every car...

Until you've worked in the automotive maintenance industry, you need to make sure everyone knows that you are talking about "in your case"

here's a great post from the cadillac forums... read the whole thread:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ranny-52k.html

here's more:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/cadill...tml#transflush

and that only took 5 minutes of searching...
Old 01-27-07, 03:41 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
You've obviously never seen a transmission fail shortly after a trans power flush... I have. High mileage transmissions don't always fare well with a trans power flush.

Just because it works for your car doesn't mean it will work for every car...

Until you've worked in the automotive maintenance industry, you need to make sure everyone knows that you are talking about "in your case"

here's a great post from the cadillac forums... read the whole thread:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ranny-52k.html

here's more:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/cadill...tml#transflush

and that only took 5 minutes of searching...
Cadillac tranny can't be compared with this Lexus tranny. Not at all. Anyway, I respect your point, but I'd like to know the explanation why you think it'll cause the tranny to fail after the flush.

I've been working on cars, either building the engines or turbo systems for years.

Quick Reply: 2 Transmission questions